loud pop in my ankle!!! (Read 3908 times)

Maggie & Molly

Let me start by saying I'm seeing a DR tomorrow. I'm looking for thoughts and opinions to sort of have a base when I go in. Anyway here is the story..... I'm at the park doing my workout with a group that I meet with every Sunday. I'm in the middle of doing step ups when I feel the wood chips under my foot slipping. My foot rolls, I (and everyone else in the group hears a loud pop) and down I go. They help me up and off to the ER we go. The ER Dr says that I've fractured my fibia where it meets the ankle and I'm told to follow up with the Ortho Dr the next day. I call the Ortho Dr and they say that they will review my x-ray and call me back. They call back and say that the dr did not see a 'new' break but did see history of a break (uhm, never broke my ankle/leg before) and that I can follow up with another dr if I continue to have discomfort. Discomfort? I can barely wiggle my toes, if I push my heel into the couch I am in major pain. So, I call the other Dr and I'm seeing him tomorrow. I've seen him in the past and think he is decent so I'm hopeful that he'll be on target. Somebody today said that he tore the tendons in his ankle and he heard a loud pop and had to have surgery.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
    Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Maggie & Molly

just in case anyone is curious ~~~ torn ligament made the popping sound

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Teresadfp

One day at a time

So what happens now, Cherrie?

Maggie & Molly

well, DR said to wear the air cast for a bit and to take things slowly. He pretty much said as the pain subsides I can do more. There is definately no running in my near future. I can't walk without pain. Each roll of the foot hurts. So, I'm focusing on stationary things (squats, upper body, core work) to hold me over and am hoping that I'll be running before it gets cold. I know me and if I'm not totally in the routine I won't run over the winter. Of course I've been told a million different things from people. "took me three months to recover" " I was never the same" blah blah blah. I'm just going to slowly test the waters and see. The DR did say that I won't damage it worse so once it doesn't truly 'hurt' I'll give a run a try. MTA: oh yeah, the Dr also said that the "old break" is actually a bone spur on my ankle. It has never bothered me so I'm leaving it alone.

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

zzz

Hey Cherrie... Not sure if it's the same thing, but about 10 years ago a rolled and popped my ankle too.... it was one of the tendons that popped but didn't tear? My ankle swelled up like a puffer fish... I cried the next morning from the pain (it was awful) hobbled around on crutches for about 3-4 weeks but it recovered just fine. I think it's great that you are planning on continuing to do workouts in whatever form. My ankle is fine as it ever was but for some reason I developed a birthmark on the outside of that ankle beneath the protruding knobby bone?? Weird.. I hope you heal quickly... Big grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, yikes! Just as beautiful Fall weather is kicking-in. Sad Can you do any swimming? I would think that'd help you maintain your aerobic fitness until you can run, again. Hope your recovery is speedy! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maggie & Molly

Katie ~~ pretty much the DR said I 'tore' meaning i stretched the shit out of the ligaments in my ankle. He said it will heal pretty quickly. Zoom ~~ Thanks. The fall weather is what has me bummed the most. BUT, I will say that I was walking all day today with no brace and it felt pretty good. Every now and again I'd step wrong and ouch but overall not bad. I'm taking that to mean a pretty fast recovery. (I hope)

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363