Newton Running shoes (Read 2018 times)

I've seen tons of people wearing these at the last few swim/run events we've done. Yesterday, there was this girl who is an Olympic Silver medalist/Ironman Champion and her entire group of racers wearing them. They had a vendor at the race and I tried these on http://www.newtonrunning.com/004?s=004 and omh, they were wonderful. I got to run a bit in them and they were so incredibly comfortable and the difference I felt in the the forefoot was amazing. as well as the $175 ticket. Shocked anyone swear by these? how long do they really last? The guy told me he gets 500 to 600 miles on his. Currently, I try to get 300-400 out of my shoes but that last 100miles is like trying to squeeze water out of a rock.

Jennifer mm#1231

I've seen them, but haven't used them. Maine Running Company carries them.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I've seen them, but haven't used them. Maine Running Company carries them.
        That was sooooo helpful dude.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Hoping to Run Again :-(

There was a thread on this awhile back. I'll try to post a link to it: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/4426e03c0f674beb87df779725bad809#focus You can always do a forum search at the top too! The Newtons are very interesting, I agree.
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run
            yah. I did the search *after* I posted...oops! Blush I got the feeling they were mostly mocked and lumped in with all the rest of the running gimmicks but I don't really think they will suddenly propel me into Elite status, I just think they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever run in!

Jennifer mm#1231

ooops, double post. Blush

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I just think they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever run in!
                Well now Mr LAB knows what to get you for your birthday, a nice shiny new pair of marathon shoes. Wink

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

That was sooooo helpful dude.
                  *shrug* I've never worn them, but I've seen them. Just acknowledging the fact. Found out tonight that the Maine Running Company is going to have a "test run" promotion for them on Thursday night, so anybody up in this part of the country is welcome to come in and try a pair on for a short run. I'll have to give them a try and see how they feel.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I bought some recently and am a huge, huge fan of them so far. I can't definitely say "it's the shoes", but legs have been as pain free as ever since wearing them. They are also super light, which is a nice feeling. The colors are a bit out there, but not such a worry. I recommend trying if you can swallow the price. They have an unconditional return policy after 30 days.
                      I have a pair of the cushion trainers, and also just bought the cushion racers a few weeks ago. I agree that they are the most comfortable shoes I've worn. I bought them after doing some research on heel versus mid-foot strike. I suffered a tibial stress fracture last year, and think it may have been due, in part, to a heavy heel strike. I was willing to shell out the high price if it meant helping me stay away from a repeat episode of the stress fracture. I now run with more of a mid-foot strike, even when running in something other than these shoes (I also have a pair of Asics and some Brooks, and I really have to force myself to run in either of them anymore). The shoes have trained me to run this way now, and it's much more comfortable/less jarring. I can't speak to how many miles they are good for, as I only have about 130 miles on the trainers, and about 40 on the racers. Hope this helps a little. Lorrie
                      dongoldstein

I'm on my second pair. My first pair was the stability trainer. My second pair is the cushioned racer. They are great shoes! Are they worth the high cost? Well, I tell people that if they can find shoes which they like for less, buy them. If not, buy Newtons!
                          Another fan here. Smile I got my first pair of the cushioned trainers this past November at the Ironman Florida expo. I'm now on my third pair of trainers, and have about 100 miles on a pair of the cushioned racers. Before running in Newtons, I was plagued with "on again / off again" hip and knee problems. Since running in the Newtons, I've been able to ramp up my mileage, and my hip and knee problems have gone away.
                            wow, thanks for the reviews! yes Blaine, the vendor at the race let me run as long and far as I wanted. We only have one store here in town that carries them. I don't think it would be too difficult to get Mr. LAB on board...he wants a pair too! Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Two notes- remember that newton themselves will reimburse the store, so it should be an unconditional return policy (confirm with store). Also, I've found that my tendency to roll my ankles in these shoes is much greater than before. This is probaly a sign that I'm not landing completely properly, but either way, its worse than before.
                              Fritzie

I love the Newton's, however, I recently discovered that the middle back pain I developed is a problem.  I thought it was the power class I was taking, and didn't want to blame it on the Newton's.  After research (my own), I 'm pretty sure the Newton's are causing my back pain.  I love them and don't want to give them up.  Any suggestions? I wear orthotics and recently had bunion surgery (the back pain was there before and after the surgery).