"Lose It" App and Calorie Tracking (Read 522 times)

bhearn

For people who use a lot of recipes, this can get really cumbersome, especially when you make something complicated.  It's why I don't use it or any other tracking app--my spreadsheet is just easier..  I mental math the calories in my head as I go, looking up ingredients when I have to.

The only thing I record is calories.

Yeah, I may go back to just manually counting calories in my spreadsheet for this reason. It's just easier. I find that it's a lot easier to fall off the counting wagon using caloriecount.com, always having to find the right or nearest food in the database.

But I will check out the week view in MFP and LoseIt, thanks.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I've only just started using this App...but I can see already that it is quietly effecting my decision on what to eat (based on how difficult it will be to enter it).  Thats no good.  Laziness vs. Deliciousness

**Ask me about streaking**

Chasing the bus

For people who use a lot of recipes, this can get really cumbersome, especially when you make something complicated.  It's why I don't use it or any other tracking app--my spreadsheet is just easier..  I mental math the calories in my head as I go, looking up ingredients when I have to.

The only thing I record is calories.

This is my complaint with all the apps, and the main reason I don't use 'em all the time. Yes, you can make custom entries for common recipes, until you change the recipe slightly. My biggest complaint is salads, which I eat a lot of, rarely exactly the same ingredients. But for me, the app is still simpler than manually recording things...at least it does the math, and has the food database.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW, the MFP recipe builder looks ideal for things frequently tweaked.  Definitely easier than the way I used to do it with Netrition when I might make something like a quiche with bacon one time and sausage another.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bhearn

In the spreadsheet I used to use, I'd just make a new line for common items. It was then easy to tweak based on variations. Only reason I'm not still using it is... you'll laugh... ClarisWorks doesn't run on newer versions of OS X. And there's still some stuff it can do that other apps still can't do. I haven't been able to replicate the spreadsheet anywhere else.

But I think maybe I'll just make a Google docs SS and deal with it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

you'll laugh... ClarisWorks doesn't run on newer versions of OS X. And there's still some stuff it can do that other apps still can't do.

I won't laugh...I am STILL pissed that Apple dropped Appleworks.  I haven't found any substitute that works as well for my WP needs.  And all the decent third-party ones are $$ and still meh or crashy.  Google docs is OK, for free, but not great.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sharz96

My husband found Lose-It in October, liked it, and I started using it a week or so later.  It's helpful.  I don't usually get too crazy with it, but most of what I eat is either fresh produce, has bar codes, or is purchased from somewhere that has a menu and nutritional content posted online, so I can create many item.  And since I tend to be very habitual in what I eat, I haven't had to create new things very often since the first week or two.  I lost 6 pounds in the first 5 weeks I was tracking, but since Thanksgiving I gained one back.   Still, if it helps me keep to no more than a pound or two gained over the whole holiday season, that will be a success.

northernman

Fight The Future

Loseit also has a weekly view

I only use it to count calories, which helps to prevent me from being too much of a fatass. You know, like when you have a dozen buffalo wings, half a bottle of rum and two cookies for breakfast, you know you can't eat again for three days.

This happens to me all the time! except for the cookies.

Loves the outdoors

BTW, the MFP recipe builder looks ideal for things frequently tweaked.  Definitely easier than the way I used to do it with Netrition when I might make something like a quiche with bacon one time and sausage another.

I didn't realise they had this! This will make adding my meals much easier. I mainly cook meals from "scratch", so it always take a while to add things in. AND I find MFP can be difficult to find raw produce in, it's overloaded with packaged stuff. I type in apple, I want an apple!

On using the apps though, I find it keeps me honest with my food and it's useful to remind myself of how much I'm eating. I never bother with breaking my food down by carbs/protein etc. It's a step too far for me.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Canuck

A trick on MFP is if you just want the raw produce, type in "raw" as part of your search, so you won't get everything made of apple for example.  Also, definitely use the recipe feature.  You can tweak it every time just in case you change the recipe slightly and once it is in your database, it is always there.  I've used both lose it and MFP and from my experience, the database on MFP is better.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)