Running is bad for you!!! I need a good response to that comment! (Read 1302 times)

This is awesome... nice thread... and very much related to the other comment that I get... you have lost too much weight... you have gotten to skinny. I'm 15% body fat! um far from too skinny. Running is bad for you? I just don't respond beyond... it lowered my blood pressure and my resting pulse such that I don't take medication anymore. There are probably other ways I could have accomplished that but I like running. There are other things that are worse that I could do as a hobby. ... of course you could just say... "really? I heard the world was flat! and if you break a mirror you get 8 years bad luck" I know it's seven... but that is the banana peal. because when they say... "you mean seven" you can say... "oh great.. my bad luck is over then!"

Feeling the growl again

"I'll keep that in mind when I'm running laps around your nursing home/wheelchair."

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

"That is a very ignorant, uninformed comment."
          The ever popular southern response: "Why, bless your heart"
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

"I used to think that, too, before I started running last year. You should give it a try - you would be amazed!" (accompanied by sweet smile). or "Huh, it's funny you should say that. Before I started running, I had NO IDEA how out of shape I was. Running was a real eye opener for me. Now I can run six miles without stopping, and before I couldn't run a quarter mile."
              How bout: "I see being a lazy pig is working for you"? Really, though, you're probably not going to change minds. You run for you. That's all that matters.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The ever popular southern response: "Why, bless your heart"
                We have a winner!!

Bugs

Response: Everything we do in life has trade-offs.

Bugs

"wow, your misguided and poorly-informed concern is so sweet!" "so how'd your son's football game go last weekend?" a co-worker at an old job once warned me that running would ruin my knees... "your knees! running always ruins people's knees! don't do it, you'll regret it, are you crazy..." etc. i said that i did know some people whose legs got wrecked by running (my dad is one, unfortunately, and my current boss is another), but that i plan my running carefully to avoid injury. like anything else, you can be smart and you can be reckless-- either way you just hope you can do what you love and not get hurt doing it. also, i love that a lot of these people are like "no! no! running will wreck your knees!" but will text or eat while driving and think nothing of it. Roll eyes

Beatin' on the Rock

<quote pid="4227cf148ce4491fba39e9b2504183c4 thank you, thank you. i'll be here all week.</quote> i'll be back! ;) these are all so good! keep 'em coming. pid=""></quote pid="4227cf148ce4491fba39e9b2504183c4 thank you, thank you. i'll be here all week.</quote> i'll be back! ;) these are all so good! keep 'em coming. >
                      Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.

Fool

Sometimes, it's best to let my friend here handle it.
                        jeffdonahue

I get this from my brothers all the time. Both of them go on and on about how it is so bad for my knees and joints, etc... Now a bit of background - my older brother is a skateboarder/snowboarder who has had at least 3 ankle surgeries because of what he does. My younger brother has had both of his ACL's removed from his knees from playing soccer and volleyball (and the fact that he is severely overweight). Given both of these circumstances, I just smile and laugh and walk away - knowing that both of them are going to end up using a cane to get around before I ever do.
                            "This is America, friend..." Then simply stroll away. "If running is wrong, I don't want to be right."
                              Anyone suggest the old standby? "Bite me."
                              higa

Thx everyone I certainly have a repetoire of responses now - I just have to be quick witted enough to remember them!