Long run nutrition/energy food? (Read 1664 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Friday I am planning what will be my longest run yet. I will likely be going 14.5-15 miles and am planning to run for over 2.5 hours. Thus far for my runs of 2.5 hours or less I have taken 1-2 GU pouches and some diluted Gatorade in the Camelbak, but I'm thinking I might want something with a bit more "substance" as my runs approach 3 hours. Are there particular energy/meal bars that anyone can recommend? Something that will give me fairly rapid energy, but also keep my stomach occupied--I HATE running when my tummy starts growling. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone...Bueller...? Wink Hubby thinks even some simple chewy granola bars might do the trick--and they're quite a bit cheaper than the bars dedicated for sport fuel (taste a helluvalot better than things like PowerBars, too--those suckers are nasty). I remember Trent recommended StarCrunch bars a long time ago. I did try those, but didn't like the taste. I'm not sure chocolate would sit well with me on a hard/long run, either. So I'm more interested in fruity-flavored stuff. Would even something like fruit leather be useful...? k

~ Sarah Kay

I only use GU for runs lasting 3-4 hours ... I have a sensitive tummy and would be afraid to eat something of substance while running. What about the jelly belly sport beans? I think you would just want sugar/ carbs --- what about gummy bears?
        2009: BQ?
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

During a long hard run, the only thing you can absorb are simple carbs, such as you find in goo. If you are running at a lower effort, you can usually digest slightly more complex foods. Ultrarunners eat a lot of things like PB&J, M&Ms, other candies, simple granola bars, boiled potatoes or potato chips. For me, 2-3 hours, it's goo or nothing. And gatorade. I DID NOT like the sports beans. They made me very thirsty. You may also want to try out the cliff blocks. They are like gummies.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My biggest thing on my longer runs is in the last hour or so feeling hungry...stomach growling, the whole bit--I start dreaming of buffets, LOL. Even if I eat a decent sized snack beforehand. GU gives me temporary energy, but doesn't make the gnawing stop. Is there anything I can do to make me feel less famished on my runs? Maybe I should try taking some sport beans, as Trishie suggested, or even the plain Jelly Belly beans. At least those would be more "solid" than GU. I did run last Fall with Jelly Belly beans...can't recall if I ever felt "hungry," per se. But my longest run then was also only 2.5 hours. PB&J always sounds heavenly to me when I run, but I'm thinking PB might be a little hard to digest while running--especially in a race (and wouldn't likely hold up well in my Camelbak pocket, either). k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You may also want to try out the cliff blocks. They are like gummies.
              BTDT--I gave them to DH. I don't like the texture of those AT ALL. Not really slimy, not really chewy...just kinda like eating worms or something...blech! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...what about those pre-wrapped Rice Krispy treats? Simple carbs, crunchy, chewy, should be pretty easily digestable and very portable.... k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fig Newtons have almost completely replace GU for me. They are much cheaper and 2 are about the same calories. I only use GU on Marathon pace or faster runs, purely as race practice. I carry the fig newtons in a ziplock bag in my pocket. I usually take one every 40 minutes, but your mileage may vary. cheers - mark
                    Or, just dried figs...

madness baby

Ultrarunners eat a lot of things like PB&J, M&Ms, other candies, simple granola bars, boiled potatoes or potato chips.
                      Any of those sound great, especially granola bars or pb&j. What I would have given for a pj&j during the marathon last month! I was just like you describe, K, really hungry toward the end. At about 2-3 hours I usually need something to keep me going (just like I eat during my normal day). And, there is a limit to how much sugar and gu my body can handle. I think the rice krisipies are a good idea. I'd even suggest a little baggie of pretzels. I grabbed probably more than my share peanut butter-filled pretzels at a desparate time during the marathon, and I had to force them down but felt wonderful afterwards. I'd also recommend planning when you will eat bigger snacks so you don't allow yourself to get too hungry before. Cause then you just have to come all the way back to feeling good. Smile Food makes all the difference in a long run!
                      deb
                        grrrr.............I typed out a long response and lost it! Long story short, Runner's World has an article today about refueling during runs with regular food. Orange slices, honey packets, Fig Newtons, dried fruit, Graham Crackers, Jelly Beans, and Gummy Bears. So far I've tried Fig Newtons and Graham Crackers, and dried fruit. The crackers and newtons were a bit crumbly, and I've found in general that I don't like chewing during a run. I always end up with GU, because of the portability and it's easier for me to choke down. Once training starts again, I want to give Jolly Ranchers a shot. I've heard they work well, and seem like they would be a convenient, constant inflow of carbs.
                        "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Great suggestions! I had forgotten about Fig Newtons (I would think the other fruit flavors would be good, too...mmm...loves me some raspberry Newtons)! I like the filled pretzel idea, too--plus that would help with any sodium loss. So is there really not much benefit to those actual "sports nutrition" bars? More $$ than they're worth...? I wonder if some of my hunger issues are weight-loss related. I tend to increase my carbs and calories considerably a day or two before each long run, but for the rest of the week tend to keep things fairly low (trying to average 1600-1800 calories/day over the course of a week). Training for a longish race AND losing weight is tough. k

~ Sarah Kay

As far as weight loss and running, I found that when I was heavily training my weight loss stalled or I even gained a bit. I got hurt at the beginning of November, and had to take 10 days off from running (this was peak training time). In those 10 days I lost 6 pounds. Granted, much of it was water due to what my muscles retain because I exercise so much, but it was also just a chance for my body to rest. That was the long way of saying that trying to lose while in training is really hard for me. It happens in the beginning when I ramp up my workouts but inevitably I stall out because I have to eat more to fuel my runs. It's hard to find the balance between 'just enough' and 'I'm starving'. Now my main problem is that, since the marathon, I've gained weight because I continued eating the same amount while exercising less. Bad combination, but hard to change after being 'allowed' to eat so many calories for so long. Anyway. That was totally off topic. Big grin
                            "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That was the long way of saying that trying to lose while in training is really hard for me. It happens in the beginning when I ramp up my workouts but inevitably I stall out because I have to eat more to fuel my runs. It's hard to find the balance between 'just enough' and 'I'm starving'.
                              Ditto. I'm looking forward to Summer, in a way, since the heat tends to make me naturally less hungry and my longest race after the 25k in May is a 15k in late June. I won't have anything longer than that until late Sept. Hopefully I can concentrate more on losing the pounds for a few months after my big race...I will still try to do ~30 miles/week or so, but make my longest run a few miles shorter and maybe do 5 runs/week (2 days of weights), instead of 4. k

~ Sarah Kay