Mid-Long Run Pick Up? (Read 392 times)

I am thinking of picking up the pace slightly during the middle 1/3 of my long run tomorrow and then slowing back down for the last 1/3, rather than simply slow and steady from start to finish. Have others done this? Injury risk?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SMART Approach

Nader, This is fine but you seem to be apprehensive. My suggestion would be if doing 10 miles would be to run 8 miles at normal pace and pick it up the last 1-2 miles or so if feeling fine. If you are struggling at mile 8, just finish at normal pace. A 1-2 mile faster finish (doesn't need to be that much faster but a "pick up" or even a progressive "pick up") on semi tired legs will have a similar if not greater conditioning effect than picking up pace for a few miles in middle. I would suggest doing this work out (faster miles) in a mid week semi long run of 6-8 miles around a warm up and cooldown. Get some confidence before mixing in faster miles in your long run (which I certainly am an advocate of if using it as a quality run).

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks, Tchuck. That makes a lot of sense. I'll plan to see what's happening around mile 9 tomorrow.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus