Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Cool OK, group, Eric has done a great job on this site and now it is up to us to put it to good use. I, for one, am curious about who is using it and what kind of stuff (running-related) you're into. My name is Lynn, and I live in McKinney, TX (just North of Dallas). I am a 48 y/o male that has been running regularly for about 3 1/2 years (this time). I say "this time" cause I listened to a knee doc who told me I couldn't run anymore back in 1988, so I stopped. After 12 years off, I decided that running was better for me than anything else I could think of, so I started back. Since then, I have run 9 marathons, 2 trail 25 milers, 1 sprint adventure race, 1 trail marathon, 7 50K's and 4 50 milers. I love trail running, and have raced in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Wyoming. My most outrageous adventure to date was the Bighorn Mountain Wild & Scenic Endurance Run not far from the Montana border in Wyoming. A splendid run through some amazing mountains and river canyons not too far from Sheridan, Wy. I guess I love the trails because it get's me out in God's creation. Now it's your turn...what get's you jazzed up??? Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

eric :)

Hi Lynn! When I get around to adding forum user rankings, you'll get an additional title of "Greatest Fan" Wink Would you ever run a 100-miler? My friend the ultra marathoner thinks it's in my blood to eventually move onto running ultras. I have no desire to run anything longer than a marathon, so kudos to you for doing it. I'm only 30 years old. Give me 20 more years and I might become senile enough to do it. When and how far is your next race? eric Smile

You'll ruin your knees!

Did you just call me senile? Surprised Oh well, I can't really say what makes someone want to do a 100 miler, I haven't tried it yet, helped a few friends through their attempts (both successful and unsuccesful). "I have no desire to run anything longer than a marathon"...yeah, that's how it starts Wink. What I think is really great about the ultras is that that is what got me into trail running. It is really different, dodging armadillos rather than cars, etc. I will say that it is an "older" crowd than at the road races, so maybe in a few years, you'll think again! As for the distance, "you're better than you think you are, you can do more than you think you can". ...now can anybody tell me why I came in here? Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

If you're senile, then we're in the same boat. Why else would anyone choose running over watching TV on a comfy couch? I have mixed feelings about trail running. Although it's easier on my knees, I can't run as fast. It's nice in the summer as it offers me some shade, but the mud and dirt aren't too pleasant. How did you like them 50 milers?
            Great topic Lynn! It's a great way to get to know who is using the site. I am a 31 y/o male in St. Joseph, MO (about an hour North of Kansas City). I am a soccer player at heart and when my mind drifts off during a boring meeting I think of the soccer field. I moved to St. Joe about two years ago and there were no soccer leagues for adults. My brother-in-law saw I was getting pudgy and bored so he talked me into doing the Chicago Half Marathon. Joe, my B-I-L, is a very good runner and has kept running since high school. My first run last summer was a 6 mile "jog" according to him. I enjoyed it and continued to train. However, jumping in too fast and running too far caught up with me. About 2 weeks after my wife and I bought our plane tickets and booked the hotel, I felt a sharp pain in my right knee. Nothing serious, just tendonitis. The trip to Chicago to watch Joe run was nice though! Smile I took the rest of the year off to make sure my knee healed and was ready to go. I started running again this year a few weeks ago. Ironically enough, I found a soccer league to play on. Last Sunday I had a game and strained both of my quads. I feel fine and will start running again tomorrow evening. I know I want to do some 10k's this year. I don't know if this is my year for a half marathon though. That might be my goal for next year.

Into the wild

Hello Lynn and all, I'm 40 years old and live in the south of France near Montpellier. I live in an ideal location for trail running, which I enjoy. It gives infinite variety of intensity, surroundings and challenge. All within 3 minute's run. The one downside is the temperature in the summer!! Back in the UK I thought I was a runner that thrived on warmer temperatures... er..NOT. I've re-started running again...it never goes away for long, but I go through stages. I'm on the up at the moment and have plenty of opportunities coming my way to stay focused and keen. On that note I find this log a big help. I look forward to following and participating on this forum. My goal (the reach for the stars one) is to take part in an ultra run. I recognise that to be able to do that will require to up my training and lose some weight. Later, Johnny

Shut up and run

You'll ruin your knees!

Hello Johnny, nice to meet you! Just take it one step at a time. When I started out, I could barely cover 3 miles and had to take walk breaks at that! It really helps to find some kind of motivation that you can commit to a few months down the road. I spent about 6 months fighting it on my own, then I decided I would sign up for a marathon 6 months out and pressured myself to be prepared for it. By the 7th month, I had notched 4 marathons and was signed up for my first ultra, a 50K trail race... Having great trail options so close would be dangerous for me, as I don't know if I would get anything done at all! Good luck with the running and keep us posted as to how you're doing. Lynn B

Into the wild

You're right Lynn..it's tempting to push to quickly to get back to where you used to be. I've learned from mistakes in the past where I got a niggly injury from to quick a build-up. Right now, I'm happy to say that my 'long' run is just 10k. As I consolidate this I'll up it to an hour's run. Further you make a good point regarding signing up for an event as being a great motivator. In my case I think I should be looking for a half marathon around September. Training is going along nicely at the moment. Good luck with your trails, Johnny

Shut up and run

To quote Austin Powers: "Allow myself to introduce...myself. " I am a 26 year-old grad student at Michigan State. Home would be the greater Cleveland, Ohio metropolitan area. I'm a converted swimmer. I started swimming around age 11, continued through high school and got the opportunity to swim in college at the Division III level. I graduated and stopped being active. 2 years ago I realized I had put some pounds on and not doing anything with my life decided to run a marathon. I did that reasonably well (3:26 and change) and decided to continue on. Last fall I ran a 3:04:42 in Detroit and I'm going to be running Boston in 2006. Ultimately I want to do an Ironman someday. Being on a strict grad-school budget, a high performance bike will have to wait until I can afford it. I am contemplating doing an ultra in summer of 2006. Anyway, I'm looking forward to see how these forums develop and getting to know everyone. ~~Mark Cool
                      Hello, Thanks Eric for putting this site together! I am a 29 year old who started running about 2 years ago. I ran two marathon's last year (Cleveland and Chicago) and I plan to keep running them. I am also from Cleveland - west side. My best marathon was Chicago in 3:55 and I would like to get down to 3:30 - 3:40 over the next year or two. I am recovering from shin splints (a month before Chicago) and so my spring hasn't been too productive yet. Happy running all. Damion

Into the wild

Hello fellas, nice to meet you. I look for ward to watching your progress. Good luck with your goals. Regards, Johnny

Shut up and run

I am on the wrong side of 50 and live in Las Vegas, NV. I have been running since high school, then ran for the Marines, although I got lazy and took a few years off until about 2 years ago, when I got back into it. I'll be at Boston in April 2006 (BQ'd at Ogden two weeks ago). Perhaps I'll get to meet Mark when I'm there (and whoever else from this forum ends up there). Note to Eric--I've got the additional 20 years you referred to, and I'm not quite senile enough yet to do the Ultra. Maybe in a few more years Wink I generally run 3-4 marathons/year and a couple of half-marys. Damion - put in the mileage, and a 3:30 should be well within your range.
                          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

I'll be at Boston in April 2006 (BQ'd at Ogden two weeks ago). Perhaps I'll get to meet Mark when I'm there (and whoever else from this forum ends up there).
                            Congrats on your BQ! I'm hoping that I'll be at Boston 2006 as well, and no, I won't ever BQ in my current age group. I'll be happy if I can do a 3:30.
                            Note to Eric--I've got the additional 20 years you referred to, and I'm not quite senile enough yet to do the Ultra. Maybe in a few more years Wink
                            And congrats too on not being senile ;-) However, the fact that you said "maybe" is making me consider otherwise Tongue eric Smile

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey Pron8r, If you're still doing marathons, you reeeaaally need to consider a trail 50K or a trail marathon. The running and scenery is generally great and much more forgiving on the joints! C'mon in, the water's fine! Cool Lynn B

And congrats too on not being senile ;-) However, the fact that you said "maybe" is making me consider otherwise Tongue eric Smile
                                Good point. Problem is, I can't the "maybe" out of my mind. As in maybe in a couple of years, as I have my races lined out through 2006. LynnB - Fact is, I have never ever considered a trail marathon. All mine are/have been on asphalt. I take it I would need to do some general trail running to get my feet/ankles acclimated first, correct?
                                My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48