Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

xor

Yeah, this is popping up on various running message boards.  Outside of running message boards, my bet is that no one will care.

Here's what he apparently said (sourced in this, I think), for those who hate clicking:

PR: No, I was student government and athletics, honor society, you know, that kind of thing. I was kind of a combination. I was class president my junior year, I was the school board rep my senior year. I lettered in varsity, you know, my first year in high school, mostly soccer and track. I was a distance runner and a soccer player. So kind of well-rounded. I can’t, I can play a cowbell. That’s about it for instruments.

HH: Are you still running?

PR: Yeah, I hurt a disc in my back, so I don’t run marathons anymore. I just run ten miles or yes.

HH: But you did run marathons at some point?

PR: Yeah, but I can’t do it anymore, because my back is just not that great.

HH: I’ve just gotta ask, what’s your personal best?

PR: Under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something

I don't know many runners that are that unspecific about their PRs.  Old PRs by folks who no longer run, yes.  Or maybe he just realized that the reporter wasn't that interested (it wasn't an interview focused on running) so he just gave out a little comment and moved on.

My bet?  This is one of those "oh, yeah, I ran this with my buddies... there are no posted results" deals.  Which can never be unproven.

#artbydmcbride

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/08/31/paul-ryan-says-hes-run-sub-300-marathon/

"..If he gets his fitness advice from infomercials I am not surprised he's making up marathon results."    Big grin

Runners run

Is it one of those 10k marathons?

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

Mr Play

Maybe it was one of those 5k marathons I hear so much about.

xhristopher

Maybe it was one of those 5k marathons I hear so much about.

Perhaps he ran one of the races in the "13.1 Marathon Series."

Perhaps he ran one of the races in the "13.1 Marathon Series."

ha. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

Per letsrun, the Ryan camp says "Grandmas 1991".

Let's face it, we're a little envious  I spent all of last night making fun of that convention, just to mess with the other people in the room. Then, I wake up and find this story.  Some guys are that athletic.  They just drop a 2:50-something and move on.

Lots of former soccer players are surprisingly good at the marathon from day 1, including some people on this board.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Seanv2

Don't know about his marathon time, but according to Eric Cantor, he is really into P90X.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

xor

It would have been funny  if he was into P90x's brother, Insanity.

(regardless of which segment of the political spectrum you inhabit, I contend it would be funny)

Seanv2

Hearing Eric Cantor say "muscle confusion" was pretty funny.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

AnneCA

Per letsrun, the Ryan camp says "Grandmas 1991".

Well, there's someone here who could look that up:  http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c06f0c35ec5243e3832f68929785a53f

Damn, Google.

xor

Maybe JerryBZA ran with Mr Ryan.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, there's someone here who could look that up:  http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c06f0c35ec5243e3832f68929785a53f

Damn, Google.

Not in Athlinks yet.