Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Two wrongs don't make a right Wink

MTA: and again, right now we are not talking about a few scattered lies and misrepresentations scattered over a few years. We are talking about a fairly large sackful in just the past 48 hours, and across multiple venues. AND from somebody who talks about how he has deep integrity.

Integrity among politicians is like virtue among whores. That applies to politicians of both major USA parties.

I sincerely apologize to all practitioners of the world's oldest profession. I should not have placed you in the same category as Democrats and Republicans, that was terribly unfair to you. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Why is it sideways?

Eh, I ran Monkey in 2:50-something. What's the big deal?

Wink

bhearn

Ryan confirms this was the race he was talking about.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/08/paul-ryan-marathon.html

I contacted the campaign this evening about the discrepancy. Ryan, through a spokesman, responded that he'd just mixed things up. “The race was more than 20 years ago, but my brother Tobin—who ran Boston last year—reminds me that he is the owner of the fastest marathon in the family and has never himself ran a sub-three. If I were to do any rounding, it would certainly be to four hours, not three. He gave me a good ribbing over this at dinner tonight."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah...more like "oops, my bad!"

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Ilene answered this already:

If he does not respect us enough to care, then why would it matter to him?

I'm sorry to hear this Wink

So your perspective is that you want to dislike him, so you simply assume the worst of motivations on his part, with no evidence, then claim this supports your original position?

I am not exactly a Ryan fanboy but one thing I will say about him is he is one of the only people willing to put himself out there by submitting a long-term budget proposal to address the deficit.  I do not agree with some things in it, but I have high respect for the fact that he was willing to put himself out there by offering one when virtually noone else has.  Seems to me he respects the voters enough to think he can say some hard things in that budget, because it's what he feels needs to be done even if it is not feel-good happy stuff, yet still keep his career.  

Beyond that the hyper-partisanship characteristic of both parties...and a lot of voters, who villanize the other party while blind to the many flaws in their chosen one (no rational person can really blindly toe a party line these days)....has disenfranchised me to the point that I really don't pay attention anymore.  Smile

Yes, my son is talking, but not talking back (yet).  And he is asking for Mommy so that means I am the one who gets to sleep in.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I contacted the campaign this evening about the discrepancy. Ryan, through a spokesman, responded that he'd just mixed things up. “The race was more than 20 years ago, but my brother Tobin—who ran Boston last year—reminds me that he is the owner of the fastest marathon in the family and has never himself ran a sub-three. If I were to do any rounding, it would certainly be to four hours, not three. He gave me a good ribbing over this at dinner tonight."

In my view, this is a good apology.
              bhearn

It's a good ass-covering statement.. I totally don't believe him.

In my view, this is a good apology.

It should mollify the measured crowd at Letsrun.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Good grief! We're not talking about a 4 minute mile here. My guess is that multiple thousands of people have run sub 3 hour marathons. So what if someone says they might have too some 20 years ago . . .  Afterall, none of us have ever exaggerated about anything, right?

Why is it sideways?

It should mollify the measured crowd at Letsrun.

Ha ha.

AnneCA

Yeah, it is a good apology - the detail about being given a hard time by his brother  works for me.  

FWIW, I'm about the same age as Ryan (he's actually, gulp, over a year younger), and I trained for my first marathon in 1991, and shortly thereafter took the next 15 years off running.  My HM PR during this era was just sub-2 -- and at any point during the intervening 15 years I could have told you that without a single moment's hesitation.  I couldn't have told you whether it was 1:56 or 1:58, but I damn sure knew the sub-2 part, and I clearly recall that I was hoping for 4-4:10 on the marathon.  (NYRRC posts those old races on their website:  1:57:00)

34:48.

On 6/9/2007.

That must be my Athlinks PR.  Somewhere, buried deep in results sheets, there is something faster...I hope.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Yep, sounds reasonable.  Glad I watched a movie while y'all confirmed my thoughts.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

My son started talking today so I had more interesting things to listen to

Time flies, my friend.  Soon, he'll be off to college, and all you'll get (if you're lucky) is a text message every now and then.  Enjoy every minute of every day!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Time flies, my friend.  Soon, he'll be off to college, and all you'll get (if you're lucky) is a text message every now and then.  Enjoy every minute of every day!

Dude.  My first little baby is almost too big to pick up anymore and I'm teaching her to read.  Seems like a couple months ago she was so small the preemie clothes fell off her.  Sniff.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills