Tapering and appetite (Read 534 times)

So I am running my first marathon in two weeks so I just went through my first week of tapering. I have noticed two things about tapering 1. I am a tad irritable (o.k. maybe more than a tad) Evil grin and 2. I want to eat everything in sight. Is this normal? What do you experience while tapering?
    nothing is scarier than rabid squirrels with light sabers...except clowns, clowns are definitely scarier
    stephonya

Sorry to hijack, but could you tell me what tapering is and why it's useful? I'm a noob to these racing strategies.

My legs are killing me

I was always hungry through training right up till the race. I always had a craving for sweets too. I've noticed it has gone away for the most part since my race. Thank God or I'd be 10 pounds heavier.
          Sorry to hijack, but could you tell me what tapering is and why it's useful? I'm a noob to these racing strategies.
          Tapering is when you cut back on mileage before a race. It is a useful in that your body gets a chance to recover from training. That's the simplified version, but I think that about sums it up. Smile
          nothing is scarier than rabid squirrels with light sabers...except clowns, clowns are definitely scarier
          Hannibal Granite

Tapering is when you cut back on mileage before a race. It is a useful in that your body gets a chance to recover from training. That's the simplified version, but I think that about sums it up. Smile
            That is a good short explanation. I would add that it is used mostly for longer races like marathons or maybe halfs. You generally wouldn't taper 2-3 weeks for a 5K or 10K, a few days to a week at most and then only if it is a goal race

"You NEED to do this" - Shara