Chicago Marathon or Bust! (Read 1020 times)

Zed

A few weeks ago I saw a poster for the Chicago Marathon. On a lark I asked a friend if he wanted to run it with me. (He'd already turned down motorcycling and skydiving.) I thought it would be a doable thing. We're both ~46, approaching middle age and in need of some physical activity. I have never been a runner, but he has (in our youth.) I am 6'2" ~250lbs. He is smaller and, I think in better shape than myself. The CM is October 11. Most training sites I have seen say that they can take a 5 or 6 mile, 3 times a week runner and prep him for the marathon starting in April. I have been running 3 miles regularly on a treadmill. I just did my first road run today. 3.16 miles in 40 minutes. Not to fast, but I didn't want to over reach. 4 or 5 years ago I started running, only to slip on an ice patch, and injure a knee. I don't want that to happen again, so I figure, I'll train slower, and take off some poundage before seriously upping lengths and speeds of runs. I am not to concerned about speed. I just want the accomplishment, and health benefits. So am I nuts or what?
    HermosaBoy

I did a marathon on less training. Work to build up your mileage between now and May. Then jump into a marathon training program. It can be done!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

You can do it. Are you nuts? Yes. Anyone who runs a marathon is. But if you train properly and following something like Hal Higdon's program (I think Chicago endorses that plan), you will "get'r dunnn". good luck. keep us posted on your progress.
          I am 6'2" ~250lbs. He is smaller and, I think in better shape than myself. The CM is October 11. Most training sites I have seen say that they can take a 5 or 6 mile, 3 times a week runner and prep him for the marathon starting in April. I am not to concerned about speed. I just want the accomplishment, and health benefits. So am I nuts or what?
          It is possible if you are committed but it will be tough work. In January 2008 I weighed in at 254 lbs (and I was 47 and am 6'1") so I can relate to you and your situation. I started watching my intake carefully and exercising regularly through long hard walks. By Jun I was down to about 210 lbs so I think you can do it to. I am in the process of training for my first marathon too and will run it in April. All that said, we are getting older and I do recommend that you get checked out by your doctor before doing something so aggressive. I read too many stories where people over do it and get injured or worse. Be careful and listen to your body. Best wishes! Sam
          Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's
            andrsnsm...that is spot on advice.
            protoplasm72

Hopefully you are looking at the 2010 marathon. You can certainly finish this year but running a marathon on less then 8 months of lifetime running experience is far from the healthy choice. Build up slowly, avoid injury, and make running part of your life for the rest of your life is best. Those newbie marathon programs tend to put it in fine print but you need to run 5-6 miles 3-5x a week for AT LEAST 3 months before starting. And that is the bare minimum. Usually the recommendation is a full year of running before starting a marathon program. You'll always find people who tell you they've done it on less because the 70% of people that quit aren't on this board.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I would have to say that you should use caution for going into a marathon with only 8 months worth of actual running experience. I realize you have been doing some short treadmill runs but one major problem with marathons is the risk of burn out. You might physically be able to finish a marathon but following the marathon will you want to run again? If you gradually work up your mileage and overtime do some shorter races to see if racing is even your "cup of tea" then maybe sign up for a marathon. I have a few friends that never ran much but did a marathon just to see if they could finish... well, after finishing the one marathon they have never really wanted to run again.
                You'll always find people who tell you they've done it on less because the 70% of people that quit aren't on this board.
                I would say if you really want to have running be a part of your life long term maybe hold off on the marathon for a while but if your goal is just to finish a marathon and possibly not "lace up" again much afterwards then more power to you, just be careful!

fanreffic

Ok, you can definitely get the accomplishment of finishing a marathon, but Chicago only gives you 6 hours or so to finish, and realistically you may not make it. As far as health benefits, there would be none. Most people who train for a marathon don't lose much if any weight especially since the long runs will increase your appetite. Moreover, you'll probably end up injuring yourself and never run again which wouldn't do much for your long term health. Basically you could go one of two ways. Run the marathon this year, just to say you did it, and that will be that. Or you could become a runner, lose weight, get healthier, and slowly work your way through different distance races. Sorry to be such a downer but it just seems like most people who set their sights on a marathon without ever running just end up injured or burned out. Myself, I'll be running Chicago this year as my first full marathon, but with the experience of probably 20+ half marathons behind me over the last 4 years.
                  heelgrad92

Burn out? Maybe, but that can happen to anyone in any sport. I went straight from 5K races to marathon, finishing my first one in 3:54. I was only running about 15 miles a week when I decided to run one because it would be fun to do over Thanksgiving. Six years later I am running my seventh marathon in Boston. You can run 20 half marathons first to see if it suits you, and if you are going to burn out you will burn out doing that as well. I say just go for it, but use a sensible first-timers plan and do go for anything unrealistic on race day. There is no better way to get fit and stay fit than training for stuff like this. It's a true fountain of youth.
                    Mr R

Obviously it's a personal choice, but I'd advise against it, for many of the reasons already listed. If you have some weight to lose, then you are going to be more susceptible to injury. In a mad dash to get ready by October, you will not want to take any time off. Approaching a marathon after no running experience is a little like being an "Everest tourist." It's not that it's necessarily a bad thing to do. However, if you take some time and a more conservative approach, you can really become a runner first. It will almost certainly be a more rewarding experience if you run your first marathon in another couple of years. Take some time to build up your aerobic and musceloskeletal health. Learn about the sport. Run races at different distances. Race your friends. Learn some strategies. Start accumulating some stories (God, the stories runners start to accumulate after a few thousand miles). I'd take the following steps: 1. Get a physical. 2. Get fitted with some good shoes at a specialty running shop. (As a Brooks athlete, I have to recommend their shoes, but unlike when I was sponsored by other companies, I am actually proud to endorse Brooks shoes. They seldom go back to the drawing-board and throw out a good design. Their shoes evolve with a lot of thought. If you like a Brooks shoe, you know you can stick with it through many new versions (not true of many other companies.) They also use injection-molded midsoles, while many companies use compression-molded midsoles. Compression-molding means that the shoes are half-dead by the time you get them. Brooks shoes last about twice as long as Mizunos, for example.) 3. Join a running club. There is a fantastic community of runners out there who will be thrilled to teach you about the sport. They can show you good routes, advise you about local races, and help you to train. The best part about having a running club is that you have a huge incentive to keep up with your training, because it means you get to see your friends. I really wish that everyone who wastes their money on a gym membership on January 1st would just spend $30 dues to a local running club. Bottom line: If you go for Chicago asap, you will probably succeed, but you will not enjoy it, and you will be done running after you finish it. If, on the other hand, you join a running club, you'll probably be running 10 years from now, with a number of fast marathons under your belt.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

... Approaching a marathon after no running experience is a little like being an "Everest tourist." It's not that it's necessarily a bad thing to do. However, if you take some time and a more conservative approach, you can really become a runner first. It will almost certainly be a more rewarding experience if you run your first marathon in another couple of years. Take some time to build up your aerobic and musceloskeletal health. Learn about the sport. Run races at different distances. Race your friends. Learn some strategies. Start accumulating some stories (God, the stories runners start to accumulate after a few thousand miles)...
                        This is great advice. Well said, Mr R.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Go for it!

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I would have to say that you should use caution for going into a marathon with only 8 months worth of actual running experience. I realize you have been doing some short treadmill runs but one major problem with marathons is the risk of burn out. You might physically be able to finish a marathon but following the marathon will you want to run again? If you gradually work up your mileage and overtime do some shorter races to see if racing is even your "cup of tea" then maybe sign up for a marathon.
                            First of all, I should absolutely not be giving advice on running. I have been only been running for three years after deciding to run my first 5K at 50 after losing about 70 pounds (was an athlete before gaining the weight - swimming, tennis, scuba diving etc. Long story - do you have a bottle of wine?). Since then, I have done loads of 5Ks, indoor triathalons, four half marathons and have four half marathons planned for this year. That said, running is an adventure. And, your body's reaction is unpredictable when you start because much of running is counter-intuitive. You may try to go too fast when you train. Or you may overtrain. Running is addicting and you just do stupid things (well..I have done stupid things). You can easily get hurt and get discouraged from having to take 2-3 weeks (or longer) off to heal. The advice given my mark b457 is so good, Try some smaller distances, see if you like it. Running can be such an amazing experience if you take it slow and enjoy the ride. The big enchilada is still out there for me, but the pros on this site have suggested that Chicago IS a good first marathon, but as mentioned earlier by others, perhaps for 2010...
                            March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)