Deltiod ligament pain in right ankle. (Read 27 times)

Hi,

I'm 48 and have been running for almost 34 years now.  About 7-8 years ago I irritated what I think is the Deltoid or Tibiocalcaneal ligaments (the one that attaches to the bottom of the shin bone and runs towards the arch) from tying my shoes too tight.  I corrected the lacing issue but kept running on the irritated ligament.  In a nutshell I created a chronic issue that comes back from time to time.  In past flared ups, the ligament would ach through out the run but would get better as it warms up.  I could run run through it with as long as I iced after runs and worked to strengthen the ankle.

Now with this recent flare up, I can start running with no real discomfort.  After about 4-8 minutes I can feel a little irritation in the ankle coming on in the same spot I noted above.  About a minute or so later the ankle will - and this is the only way I can describe it - "cramp" for a minute or two and it will get to the point where I need to stop running.  The only way I can describe this cramping is it's like a sudden sharp aching pain.  After another minute or two, the sharp pain/ache will dissipate and I can start running again with little issue after that.  It's so weird that it only does this during the initial mile or so of my run and really doesn't bother me much after that.  It will ache/sting a little after my run and I will ice it.  There was a little inflammation initially but I don't seem to have that now.  I can pretty much walk and go about my day with little to no issue otherwise, but when I run it becomes a problem.

It doesn't sound like a tendon or ligament tear as I've read that I would have more symptoms and struggle even with walking, which is not the case.  I've started wearing orthotics (Superfeet Green) and have been working to strengthen the ankle, primarily the inner ankle and my arches as well.  It's frustrating as the ankle feels pretty good otherwise and I assume my runs will go OK.  Any experience or advice anyone would have is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris