What is the best running program for training for 10K or 5 mile run? (Read 1153 times)

stolf1

Is the Smart Coach the best program to use or is there another program you guys use as a guide to train. I log between 16-20 miles per week? I'm trainnig for a 10K and 5 mile run.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

What are the parameters for "best"? Might help folks give specific and helpful answers. Smile
        mikeymike

For someone running 16-20 miles per week, the best program is just running more. Double your mileage, hell triple it. Quadruple it even. That will do more to improve your 5 mile and 10k time than any program you can find.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Of course, you don't have to quadruple it the first week...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Perhaps not quadruple immediately, but yes, run more. There are no shortcuts.
              xor

Perhaps not quadruple immediately, but yes, run more. There are no shortcuts.
                Unless you are running DIPSEA, where the shortcut is encouraged. stolf1 - yes, what they said. Add more miles. Over time.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Already been said several times but I'll iterate it because it's important - run more miles, as many as you can handle.

Prince of Fatness

For someone running 16-20 miles per week, the best program is just running more. Double your mileage, hell triple it. Quadruple it even. That will do more to improve your 5 mile and 10k time than any program you can find.
                    Yep. I ran a 1 minute PR in a 5 miler last spring, running 5 consecutive sub 7 minute miles for the first time ever. I did not run even one sub 7 mile in the 4 months of training leading up to the race. What I did is run 10-20 miles per week more than I ever did consistently over that time period. Run more miles.

Not at it at all. 

If the question was "What single thing can I do to best improve my 10K or 5 mile race time?" then I agree with the previous 84 posters in this thread. Run more. However, if the question truly was "What is the best running program for training for 10K or 5 mile run?" then I reiterate post #2. If for some reason you are unable to increase your mileage, and/or simply want to get the most out of the miles that you are running, Pfitzinger's book has a 10K training plan that peaks at less than 25 miles/week. It may or may not be the "best" 10K training program, but a lot of people think that Pfitzinger knows what he's doing.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

JimR

We don't need no stinking programs. Run more.
                        Ringmaster

I got a PR in my shorter races coming off a long training season for my half marathon. So, yes, by running more, I lowered my 10k time. I was doing everything geared toward the long distance--long runs of 14, 16, 18 miles--no short intervals, almost exclusively mile repeats, and my tempo runs at half marathon pace. Yet it still translated into much lower short-race times. So they're right. Run more, and the improvement will come. Course, making your log public would help these longtime runners (I'm a rookie) give you specific advice, if they had any.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile