heart rate peaks - me or my monitor? (Read 765 times)

rhetorician

Hi all after reading various posts and logs I've come to the conclusion that I am running my training runs a bit too fast, so I've taken up my trusty (or so I thought) HRM - a Polar RS 400. So, I'm tooling along at about 140, and then after an hour with no pace change or alteration in my perception of effort it gives a read-out of 163; same thing about 10 minutes later, 171. I've done short runs at those rates, and there's no way that it felt the same. So, is it me, or the monitor? If it's me, should I be concerned? On the upside, I ran that route about a minute faster at less than 140 than I did 6 months ago (when I couldn't actually stay below 140). I hate it, but it works! All help and advice very gratefully received.

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

Wingz

Professional Noob

If you're pretty sure your monitor is off, there's a super-easy way to check it. Do a 6 second HR count and multiply by 10. If you're getting 16 or 17 beats in those 6 seconds, your HR is 160 or 170. It's only a rough estimate, but the short time (6 sec instead of 10, 15, or 30) helps you keep moving and not be getting so much recovery mixed in to your measurement.

Roads were made for journeys...

I've been using a HR monitor for three years, and the only time I've had true dramatic, short-term spikes were: a) when I was almost hit by a car; and b) when I ran past an old girlfriend who I really didn't want to recognize me. Short of these life threatening instances (and both of my examples qualify Undecided), your heart rate just doesn't jump around wildly. Did the HR reading return to something more logical shortly after it spiked? If so, then its far more likely that there was some kind electrical interference with the signal between the strap and the watch.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Purdey

Self anointed title

All of the above is correct. However, you should be aware that your HR will rise over the course of your run, even though your perceived effort does not appear to. It sounds as if this might have been the case, especially if it was over 1hr long.

rhetorician

thanks for the tips - heart rate did climb a little over the course of the run, but I slowed pace to compensate, and monitor did drop back pretty quickly to a 'normal' level - so I think that berner's point is probably right although I will also try the 6 sec check. This only ever happens on runs that are heading up towards the 1 1/2- 2 hour mark.

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

Dave

What you described sounds more heart rate creep than a misread on the monitor or a spike. At that point in the run, I'd expect it to steadily rise even at the same pace depending on your level of aerobic fitness. 171 at the end of a long run won't feel the same as 171 in a short run. Its not an exact science.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Sounds like HR creep as others have stated. A malfunctioning monitor strap would generate spikes and generally erratic readings often >>200 bpm. Plotting out your HR from the exercise file would likely provide the answer. Note that I have a RS800, with a WearLink strap, and have to make sure that (1) the contacts on the strap are wet enough (place under tap). (2) the contacts on the strap have been cleaned thoroughly (wash with liquid soap by hand). The latter caused a week of very strange HR readings.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Two sources of error that I have encountered that cause quick/huge spikes: 1) Poor connection of strap - for some reason it just starts going up up up. I always put a bit of hand lotion on the connections when it is dry outside. 2) I believe electric fences / home security/ wifi? causes problems too. There was a house I would run by and my HR would go from 150s to over 220 then falls again once I am past the area. Not sure but must be some sort of signal.

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    I believe electric fences / home security/ wifi? causes problems too.
                    Electric fences and invisible fences for sure. I doubt that wifi signals are strong enough. I've also had signal problems running by power transformers and under electrified train tracks (the L in Chicago).

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Half Fanatic #846

I think what the OP meant was that the HR spiked on two occaisions from 140 to the 160-170's. This is not "cardiac creep" (generally, a long and sustained gradual and steady increase in HR caused by longer periods of exertion). My HRM spikes on occaision for no apparent reason, and usually returns to the proper rate shortly. Electrical interference, unit imperfection, and sudden excitement are as good as any other reasons to explain spikes...Does anyone have a HRM that never spikes? Confused

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

rhetorician

yeah, it's what havanarnr describes oh so much better than I did - a sudden spike then a rapid return to round about the regular heart rate. I'm trying to run at around 140 on easy runs, so really don't want to end a run around 171 for those purposes. Sorry for confusing folks by my bad explanation. So it seems that they just spike for no particular reason from time to time? That's very handy to know, and thanks d

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

Dave

Does anyone have a HRM that never spikes? Confused
                          Once I've got a good sweat going, my Garmin 305 never spikes as you've described. Early in the run, if I haven't wet the contacts well or am wearing multiple layers of clothing, I can get a steady high HR reading. Once I've broken a good sweat though, it drops down and reads solid.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hawt and sexy

My polar spikes by an army depot. It really has not spiked since I moved away from that depot. People spikes last a few seconds, mechanical spikes usually last less than a second. If I have a spike last a really long time, like a minute, i change the battery in my watch. Fixes the problem every time.

I'm touching your pants.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Two sources of error that I have encountered that cause quick/huge spikes: 1) Poor connection of strap - for some reason it just starts going up up up. I always put a bit of hand lotion on the connections when it is dry outside. 2) I believe electric fences / home security/ wifi? causes problems too. There was a house I would run by and my HR would go from 150s to over 220 then falls again once I am past the area. Not sure but must be some sort of signal.
                              Correct. I once noticed a massive HR spike whilst holding onto a powerful electric fence with wet hands. Don't trust your HRM whilst doing this.

Giant Flaming Dork

One other cause of spikes (especially long term >30s spikes) is weight loss! I have lost about 20 pounds and never adjusted the strap. After I tightened it up, the spikes went away.

http://xkcd.com/621/