What races are on your personal "Bucket List"? (Read 2745 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'm talking about those races you haven't done yet but that you have a dream, a plan, or a wish to run at some point in the future. The ones you've heard about from other runners or read about in Runner's World or another magazine, and thought "That sounds like a cool race - I want to do that!". Local races, national races, international races all are eligible, even if you're not training for them now or won't be able to get to them for several years. Here's mine: Local: NYC Marathon Boston Marathon Newport Marathon Cape Cod Marathon Empire State Building Run-up Lincoln Tunnel Challenge - run under the river! NYC New Year's Eve Central Park Race - starts at midnight Dec 31st, with fireworks! New Haven Labor Day 20K Manchester Thanksgiving Day Road Race National: Bay To Breakers Marathon - for the sheer size of it Marine Corp Marathon - for the patriotic aspect, running with (and paying tribute to) our soldiers. Disney Marathon - I've been to the park many times as a walking tourist - it would be cool to run through it. Music City Marathon Country Music Marathon Sesame Place 5k (with my 7yo) Mt. Washington Road Race - 7.6 miles, all uphill and of course - The Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon! International: Rome Marathon - (my favorite vacation destination so far) A major race in Ireland (haven't picked one out yet, although I know the Dublin Marathon has a great reputation) MTF race name (Thanks pRED!)
      On my "maybe someday, but doubtful, wish list": Hardrock 100 - (Silverton, CO - 100 mile mountain run) Barkley's Marathons - (Frozen Head State Park, TN - 100 mile run - insane) Tour du Mont Blanc - (France/Italy/Switzerland - 100 mile mountain run) Primal Quest Adventure Race - (changes each year, 6-10 days long - adventure race)
      JakeKnight

WS100. The only one I really must do before I die. Boston would be nice, but they want you to qualify and stuff.
        Barkley's Marathons - (Frozen Head State Park, TN - 100 mile run - insane)
        I'm with you on the rest, but that one's just silly stupid. The fact that it's in my backyard isn't remotely surprising. Why not just stay home and beat your face with a hammer? Pretty much the same and you'll save on gas.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Mishka-old log

NY Marathon, which I'm doing this fall. Other than that...just stuff that is a REALLY long way off...like 10 to 15 years from now. Trans Rockies Badwater Ironman Hawaii
          jeffdonahue

Road Races: The Great Wall marathon (China) Around the Lake 24HR Ultra Triathlons: Ironman Hawaii (would have to win a lottery spot because I'll never qualify) Other: 10 Mile lighthouse swim
            JakeKnight

Triathlons: Ironman Hawaii (would have to win a lottery spot because I'll never qualify)
              How hard is it to get in via lottery?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

WS100. The only one I really must do before I die. Boston would be nice, but they want you to qualify and stuff.
                Uhm...technically, you need to qualify for western states as well, and even when you do there's a lottery to get in...

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Boston! Just Boston. Right now, it is really just a dream. Soon, I will make it into a goal. I keep the qualifying standards hung up in my cube at work as a reminder.
                  Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    Well, since I'm not running right now, they are really on a "wish list" more than a "plan list": Boston - I Q'd for the 1989, 1990 and 1991 Boston's, but didn't run them. My second running life didn't last l;ong enough for me to get back into BQ condition. If I can start a third running life before it's too late, I would like to BQ again and run it. Marathon du Medoc - I love France, especially the Bourdeaux and Medoc regions. The thought of a marathon that meanders through over 50 vineyards and offers wine and gourmet foods, such as oysters, at aid stations intrigues me. Smile Crescent City Classic - Just a 10k race, but a classic one....and I love New Orleans.
                      Why not just stay home and beat your face with a hammer? Pretty much the same and you'll save on gas.
                      Yeah. I have no good explanation for the allure of this race. I think I just like pain and suffering.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Local: Empire State Building Run-up Every year I enter the "lotto" for this, and never get in. Apparently I'm supposed to tell them that this next time around. I hope it will help. NYC New Year's Eve Central Park Race - starts at midnight Dec 31st, with fireworks! I always miss this one to watch the fireworks from my roof deck, one of these years I wanna dress up and run it (lots of costumes in that race) Boston Marathon Everytime I say this, someone around me inevitebly "knows" someone who could get me a number. I explain I want to qualify for it, and won't run it till I do. General: An Iron man. I do a lot of Tris, (sprint and olympic) and I'm getting better at the swim, soon I want to attempt a Half Iron, someday a full. International: World's Greatest 10K in Puerto Rico looks fun. I often see it advertised in Runner's World. By the way, OP, I've run the Manchester Road Race (thanksgiving) and it is VERY worth being on your list. A great race, though pretty cold.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

jeffdonahue

How hard is it to get in via lottery?
                          From what I understand they get thousands of entries for the lottery and they only give away about 200 spots.

...smile :)

Here is my (wish) list. Local: Toronto Waterfront - will miss this year's, though. Niagara Falls. General: Zermatt Marathon Boston Rotterdam The Northern Marathon Series (http://www.northern-marathons.com/northern-marathons.htm). Cool locations and that midnight marathon in Norway would an experience. Honolulu Pike's Peak
                            xor

From what I understand they get thousands of entries for the lottery and they only give away about 200 spots.
                              Ironman also does a "special" thing called the passport club. Officially, it's the 'booster' club, but the reason why many (most? I don't know) people join is for the following benefit:
                              A special chance at the Ironman lottery for Passport Club members only
                              And, yes, there are only 200 lottery slots total, out of 2000 that they let into the race.

You'll ruin your knees!

Uhm...technically, you need to qualify for western states as well, and even when you do there's a lottery to get in...
                                Technically, a successful run of the Barkley would qualify you for Western States. As for the 2009 race, you have to be either 1) an official entrant of the cancelled 2008 event or 2) winner of one of the North Face race series. Beyond that, the extra spaces are lotteried off to those of us who have been passed over in the lotteries of at least 2 years past (2-time loser of the WS Lottery). I give me a 12-18% chance of getting in for 2009. JK, Why Western? There are other, more epic 100's to be tried... Lynn B Oh, bucket list? Hardrock (will try the lottery again next year) Badwater Barkley Plain The Bear Wasatch Maybe HURT Lost Soul (Lethbridge, Alberta) Race Across the Sand (multi-day from Grand Junction, Co to Moab, UT) Some Others...tbd

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)