What races are on your personal "Bucket List"? (Read 2745 times)

ive never really thought about where to run before. i just know i want to do more marathons, my first 50 and 100 milers, and an ironman before i die.

Big Sur, Victoria, Edge to Edge, Dipsea or Double Dipsea.    Goal is for my wife  & I to travel abit when daughters finally completely on own financially.  our plan is to combine her dog agility obsession with my running hobby (noticed how I worded that differently?).  When that happens my bucked list will expand.  Of course by the time that comes to fuition I may not be able to run very far or fast,  if at all.

jeffdonahue

2021 - 1 mile race across the moon

Not sure 1 mile woudl get you across the whole moon.  Now, with the decreased gravity, the equivalent number of steps for one mile could do it

KvnJns

Big ol bump from 2008.

Krispy Kreme Challenge

ha, I just read about this one in RW. I think I will pass on that one. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

I have a few on my list but I will leave you with just one.

The Bataan Death March

The Bataan Memorial Death March honors a special group of World War II heroes. These brave soldiers were responsible for the defense of the islands of Luzon, Corregidor and the harbor defense forts of the Philippines.

The conditions they encountered and the aftermath of the battle were unique. They fought in a malaria-infested region, surviving on half or quarter rations with little or no medical help. They fought with outdated equipment and virtually no air power.

On April 9, 1942, tens of thousands of American and Filipino soldiers were surrendered to Japanese forces. The Americans were Army, Army Air Corps, Navy and Marines. Among those seized were members of the 200th Coast Artillery, New Mexico National Guard.

They were marched for days in the scorching heat through the Philippine jungles. Thousands died. Those who survived faced the hardships of a prisoner of war camp. Others were wounded or killed when unmarked enemy ships transporting prisoners of war to Japan were sunk by U.S. air and naval forces.

Kevin

Kalsarikännit

"Some Survived" by Manny Lawton was a good book about the Bataan Death March.  I'm glad I read it before doing the race. I didn't realize what these men had gone through until I read it.  The march was just the beginning of years of hell.  I have said it many times out here, but the Bataan Death March Marathon is the best marathon I have ever done. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

fasteronce

Any one that ends in  "Marathon"  Though most of the bigger ones less so than the smaller ones

Seriously, too many to count.  Boston I should hit this year. 

My  list gets updated everytime I read Marathon and Beyond magazine.,aka by the fam The Catalog

xor

And I will add the same thing I add whenever Bataan gets brought up.

If this race is on your bucket list, get it the hell OFF your bucket list and RUN IT WITHIN THE NEXT FEW YEARS.

You have a unique opportunity at this event... you can shake the hands of survivors and hear stories.  First hand.  But these men don't have much time left.  Take the time now.  Do it.

And if you cannot do it... or, heck, even if you do... shake the hand of a WWII vet at every opportunity. 

And I will add the same thing I add whenever Bataan gets brought up.

If this race is on your bucket list, get it the hell OFF your bucket list and RUN IT WITHIN THE NEXT FEW YEARS.

You have a unique opportunity at this event... you can shake the hands of survivors and hear stories.  First hand.  But these men don't have much time left.  Take the time now.  Do it.

And if you cannot do it... or, heck, even if you do... shake the hand of a WWII vet at every opportunity. 

A good friend of mine's father (who is gone now) survived the march and a few years in some grim Siberian (I think) prison camp. It was really bad stuff.

I was in my dentist's office a few months ago and saw an old issue of Runners World.....not sure what vintage it was.  It had an article on the "bucket list" races in there.  Ones that I think people generally think of.......Boston would probably be on many marathoner's lists.

One race that was there that I had the fortune to run this year was the Hood to Coast Relay.  Granted, it isn't some crazy ass ultra (BW, Leadville, etc.) or even one of the "must" marathons.  I gotta tell ya, I had more fun with this even than any race I have done (which isn't much).  It was a great group of people that had a ton of fun over 24+ hours.  It was SUPERBLY organized.  It was a beautiful location..........I could go on an on.  I was so impressed that I am going to plan on doing it again this year.......

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

drrbradford

Man v. Horse 'marathon' - Getting to the race is the hardest part since I don't have private transport other than a bike.

Emsley Carr Mile - By invitation only. You need to run sub 4 to even get a sniff.

Big ol bump from 2008.

I found this when looking for info on rim to rim to rim (which I will be knocking off my list in mid-April).  It is funny to see the old-timer's (ha!) goals.  I know many of them have been completed.  It is depressing to see some of the newer runner's goals, because by the looks of their logs, they haven't stuck with running.  I guess it means that the best goal you can have is to be a life long runner.  

I have a ton of races on my to-do list, but a few on my absolute  bucket list are:

Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc

Canadian Death Race

Krispy Kreme Challenge

24 Hour World Championship

H.U.R.T. (without dropping at 100k)

Across The Years 48 Hour

Western States 100 (again...I have unfinished business)

So jealous about R2R2R. That is definitely on my list. 

WS100

Comrades

Athens Greece Marathon

R2R2R

Big Sur Marathon

Hardrock 100

~Sara
                          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Believe

Of course, I don't believe that I will ever get there, but I would like to run WS100 and Badwater.

keeponrunning

Scotiabank Half - Toronto(should be done this year)

Niagara Full (two countries)

New York Marathon

Monkey 

Need a couple more years training under my belt before I attempt some marathons.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Kalsarikännit

So jealous about R2R2R. That is definitely on my list. 

So what are you doing the weekend of April 15?  Come down.  Bring beer.

R2R2R will be followed by running/hiking/wading the longest slot canyon in the world, Buckskin Gulch.

Photos are shamelessly stolen from cgerber.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart