Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Rp nice video. That baseball cap must be glued to your head, I've never seen you without it 

Fishy with all the chaos you had to avoid at the start, sub 3 is obviously very doable for you rightnow.

Steve that's interesting on the shoes. Back when I ran my marathons in 2013 and 2014 race shoes were minimal,  light, and a bit bouncy. Nike Lunaracers were my go to. They only weighed about 6oz.

I wonder if supershoes slow our cadence with more hang time ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Been reading all the posts but find it awkward to write much on my tablet, so comments will have to wait. I did want to write a short report while my race is relatively recent.

My goal was to run at least 40 miles.  I started strong keeping my pace under 14:00 per mile. As it warmed up my pace slipped a little to a little over 14:00.  Shortly after 18 miles the sun came out and it warmed up considerably.  I slowed to a walk for a while and applied ice to head and neck but it was too little too late. I started to get dizzy, so I stopped at the aid station.  The EMT on site suggested he take my vitals and my BP was very low, around 90 over 65 and my pulse was weak.  I did feel better after sitting a while and getting something to eat and drink, but the EMT did not think it wise for me to continue as it was only going to get hotter. I concurred and called it a day after 21.16 miles in 5:19:42.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

OMR

congrats, RP.  impressive stuff...there seems (to me) to be a mental place that you can go to, to just shut out all of the noise...or maybe it's that you yell back at it louder than it's coming in.  in any case, glad to see you get another PR!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congrats to RP and Fishy for great races at Boston.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Running Problem

Problem Child

WC first off, THANKS for telling me you got up Newton without noticing it. It helped even if it wasn’t your purpose. 
            second,  at the blood pressure. Is everything alright? No lingering side effects or ongoing medical issues?

omr yeah, I think marathon racing is one of the FEW…RARE times I can follow very specific, detailed, ALMOST uncompromising rules about how things will be done.

piwi it’s called a ‘HOO RAG’ which is a brand. I posed it for Flavio previously. It’s just a headwrap. I don’t know when I started wearing them but it’s essentially an accessory for me at this point. This was their ‘thin red line’ version with the United States flag in black and white with a single red stripe to show support for fire fighters.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC first off, THANKS for telling me you got up Newton without noticing it. It helped even if it wasn’t your purpose. 
              second,  at the blood pressure. Is everything alright? No lingering side effects or ongoing medical issues?

Glad that helped you.

By the time I felt more recovered and ready to leave, my BP was up to 132 over 75. It's not the first time I've dealt with heat issues so I had a good sense of how I was recovering. I'll be better prepared for my race next month.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Hashi - It sounds like you ran a good time, how's it feeling ?

Cheers, Flavio. Yeah, pretty stoked with that time, tbh.

Managed to say a quick hi to Steve at the start line, before the carnage of the mass start (a friend of mine lasted about 9 secs, before his mate accidently shoved him to the ground, putting him in an ambulance and out of the race).

Piwi noted that I slowed down in the second half - my left leg became really sore and started almost locking, which slowed me down. Hit my debut marathon goal of Sub-3:20 though, so I can start planning my Boston 2024 trip!

(and maybe because my last 10km was slow, the legs haven't been feeling too bad at all. Will still take a good week off running, though).

I had one friend from NZ running Boston last night, so took the time to also follow RP and Fishy throughout the night on the app. Great work, lads!

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - I'm not totally convinced about that theory with the shoes, that seems like something that might manifest itself as some sort of injury rather than cramp, but it's worth exploring.

Hashiritai - terrible news about your friend, but well done on the run and BQ. I didn't realise it was your first marathon either so congrats on that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My coach called me last night which was great.  He also had spoken to his coach about me, a guy who works at High Performance Sport NZ and they both had similar thoughts:

-  My training is fine.  If they thought I hadn't done the work they'd have no issue telling me

-  The virus might still have been in my system.  I'm still coughing up gunk

Race day anxiety, brain issues

-  Super shoes

That would be my guess and thought that even before you mentioned it. You seemed to put a huge amount of pressure on yourself to perform well and maybe the body reacted badly on race day because of the stress/adrenaline leading up to the race? The shoes seem very far fetched to me especially as you were having issues before the halfway point. Most of my marathons have been in normal minimum support shoes (like Piwi I was a fan of the Lunaracers) and on the few occasions I’ve worn cheater shoes it was a luxury…plus recovery was much faster!

RP - Great run and impressive splits! I can’t remember what age you are but was it good for NYC 2024?

Fishy - Great result especially starting in wave 2 as it must’ve been draining making up time from the congested start.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

ch17 - If you're still lurking, I hope you had a great day at Boston!

RP - Your form is spectacular. You must be one strong dude.

Hashi - I had not noticed this was your debut marathon, you did better than most! That was excellent!

WCRunner - It sounds like you were in a bad shape at that point (quite scary low blood pressure) and if the ring side physician recommended stopping that was definitely the best decision.

Steve - I'm with Mikkey, but I might be biased, as I think race day nerves (or performance anxiety in general) was one of the big factors during my latest marathon failure. I was very tense from the start and never quite got comfortable. Looking back, I think this was also a factor on a 5k time trial I DNF a couple of years ago, and also my recent DNF at the 20k trail race. Cause I stopped running then walked more than 2km in the opposite direction under the same sun. I now think I could have finished that race, but couldn't handle the embarrassment of having to walk on a 20k race.

This is also why I have avoided any kind of stimulant beverages (coffee, black tea, etc).

I can't help but chuckle at the thought of myself drinking calming tea to slow down my brain while the rest of you are injecting coffee in your veins to try to speed up your brains 😁

Anyway, the shitty part about this is that it's VERY, very hard to solve, layers upon layers of past stuff accumulating.

I've given up reading the news, and I'm trying to fill my days with more positive activities (especially non screen related activities).

I've tried acupuncture, it actually relaxed me quite a lot, but that relaxation only lasted about 2h. I'll keep on researching till I can find ways to relax more. The usual stuff that people recommend like dancing, socializing, drinking alcohol, none of that works. What works is having a very satisfying meal, traveling to a different place, and running a satisfying race.

I probably need to learn to put less pressure on myself on my running endeavours, accept, and celebrate what I got.

Also, forgive me, I'm probably projecting here, I just wanted to rant a bit.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Continuing my stream of consciousness here, feel free to ignore.

I'm thinking that race day anxiety might be similar to other anxieties, that "fear of what might happen".

I remember I used to be quite anxious when flying in an airplane, but these days I barely notice anything, and in fact I find it quite nice when the airplane starts accelerating. I wonder if the same thing can happen to marathon anxiety. Like if I run enough of them, then maybe I won't put so much stock into how I do in one of them and feel more like "just another day in the office" at the start line.

And it's definitely way more present with the marathon, than the shorter races, in fact I feel nearly invincible at the start of my 1500m races.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mikkey this is my last year before being an ‘old man’ and joining the Masters group. Unfortunately Eulid Kipchoge ages up too. Maybe I’ll see him in medical tent after NYC and we can ice our knees while joking about avoiding our family ‘for recovery purposes.’

flavio anxiety is annoying.  Also annoying is my Garmin telling me I have a body battery of 90 the morning AFTER a PR. ‘You’re all good to go out there and get it done today. Heart rate just a tick below normal.’  Geee. Thanks.  Blews your digital computer programmed heart Garmin.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - I'll echo trying out the race shoes in longer training runs. I'll wear mine for an entire LR with marathon work in it (maybe up to 22mi/35k), though there's nothing wrong with stopping to change shoes after a warm-up portion of such a run - I just prefer to not stop at all during those if I can avoid it.

WCR - Smart to cut is out with those effects. How was your hydration/electrolyte status?

Hashiritai - Not much of a mate if he puts someone on the ground during a marathon start! Is he doing alright?
                            Sub-3:20 in a debut is really solid, well done.

Flavio - I do like reading stream-of-consciousness stuff. Perhaps someone else will post more soon...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Popping in to say nice race RunningProblem. Returning to lurking.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WCR - Smart to cut is out with those effects. How was your hydration/electrolyte status?

I was well hydrated and my electrolytes should have been okay as I was regularly drinking Gatorade.  It was the heat, which I am having more and more issues with as I get older.  The direct sunlight seems to be the worst as I don't have as many issues if there's good cloud cover.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K