Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Can someone explain to me what VDOT means?

Sorry, I am even thicker than Piwi 🤦🏻

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

It is a calculated score based on running performance in past races. I use this site to calculate comparable performance in different distances and for training paces but ignore the VDOT score. It doesn't factor in anything extra like age for you old guys or weight like us with dad-bods.

V.O2 Running Calculator (vdoto2.com)

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's a number Jack Daniels assigns to race performances, and then assigns training paces with it.

VDOT 47 is assigned to a 6:10 mile, a 21:02 5k and a 1:36:38 half marathon. A VDOT of 47 is given an easy pace of 5:12-51/km, a Marathon pace of 4:46/km, a threshold pace of 4:29/km or 1:47/400m, an interval pace of 98 seconds per 400 and a 4:54 1,200m, and finally a Repitition pace of 90 seconds for a 400 and 45 seconds per 200.

Jack later goes in to describe what the purpose of workouts are, and what pace to run them at. Cruise intervals, tempo runs, hard, Threshold, etc. You run a race, score yourself a VDOT (or use the convenient spreadsheet at the beginning of this thread), and start doing workouts.

I am a 55. JMac was a 59 or a 60 when he ran an easy downhill marathon. In 2 hours and 45 minutes. In case anyone is confused about what downhill marathon I'm referring to.

Flavio you're probably correct about my 5k PR being wet and also me being able to go faster. I previously only raced 5ks and it was at the beggining of my journey into running. I once "trained" for what I expected to be an easy 5k and while I did well (maybe I PR'd) I actually died a little bit. If I found desire to train for a 5k, or even was willing to drive a few hours to race one I could probably get even faster. I really don't know why I don't train for a 5k other than "I don't know what you do to train for a 5k. All I know is marathon training which seems like 5k training, but with more miles."

Andy Something to ADD to the crowd size....I was finishing under 3 hours, and I started almost a half hour BEFORE Fishy so there were less people ahead of me than him.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I love this.

Andy - funny enough, during my down period, I was thinking "maybe I should put more into my career" and then had a terrible meeting at work the morning of Boston, which added up to my "I'm not throwing in the towel just yet." But right now, my injuries are what make this hard: if it was just a matter of flipping a switch and coming back to it, I'd be there right now. But like some of you who have run bad marathons thinking "I can't go through another cycle and spend all that time just to bomb on race day," I have a similar nagging feeling of "I can't go through another cycle and not even get the opportunity to test myself because of an injury."

I think one of the issues in general too with two young kids is I feel like I'm missing some opportunities with them on my runs. If I want to continue running, I'd have to learn how to be a morning runner, at least on the weekends. That is becoming clear to me. My problem is my high sleep needs: if I can, I'll sleep 9+ hours every night no problem. There is no such thing for me as "getting by" on 6 hours. It has to be at least 7. So that makes things tougher in general.

For the kids running, yes I can tell my oldest is interested. It's sad because literally yesterday she was using bean bags as "ice packs" and putting them on me because she said "daddy hurt himself running." So sad. I'm already an old man in her eyes. That's why I still post here - ya'll tell me I'm still young 

1. NEVER put more into your career. I don't say this from the "RP fucking hates his job" side. I say this from the "you won't get out of it what you put into it. I honestly wish, sometimes, the guy who trains for marathons could show up to work. Eventually I remember I'll be used and the reward won't be worth it. I don't know how to say it but what I "lose" from training isn't as bad as what I'd "lose" from putting the same effort into work. Do great, get promoted, have more challenging work to do, get promoted again and have more headaches to deal with. I can walk away from running at any time. Sure you can find a new job, but not for just a few months. I can also blow off a shitty workout a little better than work, and I'm a guy who has ficticious arguing matches with my manager in the car.

2. I've never had an injury as bad as yours. I would just pull out the "do what you tell others to do" line of bullshit you don't want to hear. You're smart enough to know what happens when you train through injury (remember that time you trained for CIM and didn't get injured all summer?) and what the best way forward is.

3. you're ABSOLUTELY correct about missing things with kids. It's something I heard at Boston after finishing. Dad's talking about 3:30am runs and I'm thinking "yeah, I was up and out at 5:30 starting my runs so by the time I get BACK the kids are finishing a movie/tv and ate. I wouldn't have spent any quality time with them at 7am. I DO spend quality time with them after. I changed my schedule to accommodate them a bit. 2019 I'd taken shorter lunches to be home to help the wife at dinner time, and I'd do my TRX after the oldest went to bed (only at the time). This year I'd get dinner, help with the kids and head for a run at 6pm with a goal to be home by 8 and do bed. Twice a week. It's actually a reason I stick with Hanson's. I know the routine. I also took half days at work to get my 2 hour Thursday runs done so it would be less impact on the family. Monday and Wednesday are swimming lessons and Saturday was baseball for a while so getting my runs done while trying to put as minimal impact on the family was important. Now that Boston is over I can just get my jogging on.

If I would have just spent the past 4-6 months blasting out high quality work meeting the highest expectations my boss could give me I'd just have harder projects taking more time causing more stress or concern. fuck. that. At least after four months of training I can take a break and hit the easy button. I'm sure my manager would LOVE to have me working at marathon effort, and I have had enough managers to know "it's never going to be good enough." I'll burn out and hear how sad management is about me blah blah blah and yet I know training at M effort and going for PRs will eventually lead to burnout in racing. AT least the effort in running my family understands. Heck, the 2 year old apparently tells mom "no. daddy running" because to him all I do is run. His mother also allows him to sleep in so I don't see him before work anymore. He use to ask "daddy running?" no. work "Oh. Daddy work. bye."

The morning run is a thing. You just adapt your body to it. Sucks going to bed at 9pm. KNOW WHAT DOESN'T SUCK?? Having your 2 hour long run done by 9am. Enjoy the time off. I know I am. Spend more time with them knowing when you get back to training you're going to wish you had the time. Make it count (look at me sounding like a Hallmark card) because you can't get it back, but the return on investment is probably going to be worth it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It is a calculated score based on running performance in past races. I use this site to calculate comparable performance in different distances and for training paces but ignore the VDOT score. It doesn't factor in anything extra like age for you old guys or weight like us with dad-bods.

V.O2 Running Calculator (vdoto2.com)

I typed in my marathon PR just out of interest and it showed a 5k race equivalent of 17:49 which was only 4 seconds out! (I ran them 13 days apart). I would’ve struggled with the suggested training paces though.

I see Eilish McColgan has had to drop out of the London marathon tomorrow with a hamstring injury which is a shame as I was looking forward to her debut.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikkey - wasn’t it also something to do with a sponsor clash? I’ll be keeping an eye on Ellie Pashley.

RP - brilliant post. Any time I feel guilt about not being 100% dedicated to work I remember how quickly I’ve been made redundant in the past

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - I just remembered one thing: if you retire from running you're gonna get fat quickly.

RP - training through snow must have been very annoying. And the result more satisfying.

Hard work - hard work will never get you anywhere. It does not matter if you're working hard if you're going in the wrong direction 😎

I see taking actions that make you more valuable to the market are more important than things that make you more valuable at your current company. Now obviously if both those things align, it's nice, but it's not always the case.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

Side by side comparison of cadence in Philly in November and Boston in April.  It's clear that the crowds got into my head (it may have been there before the race even started).  I used WAY to much mental and physical energy early trying to get "on pace" rather than let the race come to me. That's what I love about the marathon....Every time I think I have it figured out it humbles me again.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

Oh yeah....and I finally figured out how to post pictures

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Oh yeah....and I finally figured out how to post pictures

Guess I'll have to figure out how to view them.  All I see are two blank rectangles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fishyone

Guess I'll have to figure out how to view them.  All I see are two blank rectangles.

CRAP!!  they show up on my screen. I probably screwed something up

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Andy and RP gave a practical definition, but it is based on vVO2Max or velocity at VO2Max, hence closely related to actual performance at or near threshold pace rather than a lab value for VO2Max.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With post race vacation at my daughter's cabin it's taken me a week to write a full race report.  You have already seen the basics, but if you want a little more detail, it's here:

wcrunner2.blogspot.com/2023/04/2023-alexander-county-12-hour-post.html

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CRAP!!  they show up on my screen. I probably screwed something up

You are hosting the images on Google, right?  You need to have the permissions set for the images so that anyone can see them.  I suspect the permissions are not set that way.  So you you can see the images linked here, but we can't.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fishyone

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mc28FjgvRh7B3fWs8

Boston 2023

Philly Nov. 2022