Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

half crazy welcome back to the madness. the article says runners will have to wait days or weeks to get their medal mailed to them. They're making it right, but I don't understand how you have the exact number of bibs issued and don't have medals. Including the woman I know who finished 18 miles and was driven to the finish to be given a medal.

wcrunner on top of Bandits, there is the refusal of the Marathon to ban anyone who isn't proven with 100% proof to be a bandit/cheater. So it's hard to stop the stealing. The bib number matching mine would have pissed me off. I would have probably ruined my race to destroy their bib or report them some how. Chat them up and get their social security number to have them banned. When asked how they knew it was fake I said "it matched mine and I'm not a cheater."

Mikkey I might suggest Hansons for people who can't think for themselves. Half marathon OR marathon. I considered hiring a coach because I didn't know what I was doing and I had the believe a coach would guide me in the correct direction without errors. Maybe it was an "easy button" when I consider the effort I put into figuring it out myself, or maybe I would have reached this point sooner by avoiding pitfalls from figuring it out with help from (at the time) strangers on the internet.

Also, I may be a 70 percenter (can we create a club patch?) and I'll gladly continue handing out plates of crow with my Regional abilities.

MOTORHEAD Lemmy 70 OFFICIAL sew-on patch  2 shipping options image 1

AndyTN California has enough drinking water. It's the farmers who are screwed out of water.

I tried to find a new primary care physician. I was excited when I found one who does ultras and also worked at a lab conducting Lactate acid and all kinds of cool "sports fitness" stuff. I was told they're not accepting new patients. I shoudl reply "what if I just ran a 2:55 at Boston? Can I be accepted because I'm not patient and hurried up to get my participation necklace?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You're damn right! We don't need those...oh dammit mine is only 78%.

I just made an appointment with a foot/ankle sports doctor. She does both PRP and Shockwave, so I'm going to inquire about that to see if it can help this chronic issue. PT is clearly not the only answer here although it does feel better, but it's been 5 weeks of rest and I healed from a stress reaction more quickly.

It takes determination, guts, huge talent and mental strength to get even get close to an 80% race…so you have done really well so far. 👍

Good luck with the sports doctor!  I’m back in Belfast and having a golf match with my competitive cousin in the morning. He is going to get crushed.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I got lost on Wikipedia today and came across some interesting trivia for anyone who has not heard about Abebe Bikila at the 1960 Olympics. Leading up to the Olympics in September 1960, Bikila won a marathon in July and another in August with a time of 2:21:23 (not a sandbagging warm-up race). He won the marathon at the Olympics with a time of 2:15:16 which set the new world record. Prior to the race, the shoes his team provided him were uncomfortable and gave him blisters so he decided to run the race barefoot.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Running Problem

Problem Child

Barry Magee was third place. 2:17:18.

Also, he'd trained barefoot kind of.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

Someone please help me calculate what kind of percenter I am, I’m not sure exactly where that comes from. 

Anyway, I’d rather be a 1%er than an 80%er!

Dave

Resident Historian

Someone please help me calculate what kind of percenter I am, I’m not sure exactly where that comes from. 

Anyway, I’d rather be a 1%er than an 80%er!

Age grading: https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20801263/age-grade-calculator/

I hit 80.02% once, in a 10k at age 62. Then they toughened the calculator (reflecting the latest world records by age -- aka the Ed Whitlock effect). Against today's standards, it's 78%

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Age grading: https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20801263/age-grade-calculator/

I hit 80.02% once, in a 10k at age 62. Then they toughened the calculator (reflecting the latest world records by age -- aka the Ed Whitlock effect). Against today's standards, it's 78%

I knew there was a reason I always liked you.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This one is a little more complete and allows you to switch back and forth between the 2006/2010 factors and the 2015 factors.  It also easily allows you to make comparisons to see the equivalent times at other distances.

WMA Age-grading calculator

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                        06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

That is enough.  Being in the 80% club is a beautiful feeling.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Andy - that’s nuts. Reminds me of a far less impressive story about a guy in the Auckland Marathon a few years ago who decided to chuck his shoes less than halfway through as they were irritating his knee. He still ran 2:40 something but wasn’t in a good shape after the race.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

I’ve never quite got why any hobby joggers with a few years of running experience would actually pay money to have a coach and tell them what workouts to run. I’ve taken advice from a few people over the years…but money has never exchanged hands!

Could be that they want the external accountability that comes with a coach. Could be that they’re extrinsically rather than intrinsically

motivated. Could be that they’re just time poor and the coach is faster than planning a week out themselves. Could be that they just want to try and do something different and see if it improves their results. I don’t think the value equation for a coach is great for a hobby jogger but there’s any number of reasons they might want to use one.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A reality check to anyone racing under AG 70%.  

You weren’t actually running. It’s called walking.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In a sample of one, after four years of high school competition I had a sparkling 5:21 mile PB and a 2:21.7 880 yd PB. Not surprisingly I stopped running after that.  Four years later I decided to give it another try to see if I could beat my high school PBs.  Running under the supervision of a different coach and getting a personalized training schedule rather than a general team schedule, in two month I ran a 4:56.4 mile.  After 10 months my PBs were 2:08.0 for 880 yds, 4:46.4 for the mile, and 10:41.7 for 2-miles. A month later in my first real attempt at a longer race I ran 48:40 for 8 miles, then a month later 1:13:03 for 12 miles. That's all within a year of starting back from scratch. During that time I also learned much of what Hudson formulated years later in Run Faster, sufficient to be self-trained when I moved to the East Coast and my coach moved to the West Coast.  I have good personal reasons for believing that a coach adds value to training beyond what you can glean from a book.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                  06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

Well damn. My 5k PR from earlier this year was a 79.58%. Guess I'm out, see ya later!

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

A reality check to anyone racing under AG 70%.  

You weren’t actually running. It’s called walking.

Your trolling is losing its subtlety!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024