Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That model put me right off, if I'm being honest.

I saw some guy walking around it with it in NYC on the day after the race just walking his dog. Could you possibly be any more cringe? Wearing it in Boston the day after is fine, like some folks who wear their medal around NYC on Monday (I would never do it, but I get it, especially for brand new folks who ran their first marathon). But the jacket in another city the day after just walking your dog? You know this guy is just BEGGING someone to come up to him and ask him if he ran the marathon yesterday.

Cinnamon - welcome back! Always good to see you, but we just never know if you're going to disappear!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Bother it all. I don't recall how long it has been since I've been sick at this point, but I've got a little something. Kind of a congestion/drainage and low energy thing. No cough, no fever or anything else.

All except my youngest had this when I got back from Denver - hopefully it all passes before the weekend.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

competitve jerks sub....two....fourty??? *closes door on way out*

AndyTN I'd do strength AND stretching. My logic, which you can read about online, is the weak muscles need to strengthen up. The psiosfsitis (I can't spell it) thing you have going on might be due to being over worked. Everything needs to gets stronger and carry the load. Spread it across more muscles instead of making one do the whole thing. Eventually when you're doing ALL the work on the team you just want to quit, at which point the rest of the team admits they just let you do all the work because it was easier. It (building up the muscles) will suck and you won't enjoy it. Just do it.

oh yeah....STOP RACING THE KIDS AT PRACTICE!!!!!

Piwi is it 1 tattoo for each Sub-3, or just the first sub-3 marathon time? I've considered getting the times, then crossing them out as I beat them. I just don't know if I should start on my Fibularis (peroneus) brevis muscle and tendon and work my way up, or the longus version of the same muscle and work my way down. Going up seems to provide more room to improve and highlight my times. Going down seems to leave a gap closer to the knee where I'd end it with something like 3:01:26.

Mmerkle I INTEND to get some speed work back into regular rotation. I totally accept it will be slower since I'm going to actually try and let the body have some time off from hard work now. I don't ever find it fun or enjoyable reintroducing speed work. Maybe if I sandbag it enough I can train as a 3:10 marathoner and find it challenging.

JMac I see it as the running equivalent of wearing a sports team jersey/jacket. Anyone wearing it at any time is begging for someone to acknowledge their accomplishment. It is WHY people buy the jacket. To show it off since apparently wearing the race bib isn't a thing.

oh no...commanderkeen is sick before a race. shocking. In other news the sky is blue, the sun rises in the East, and the metric system is superior to liquid or dry ounces, and British currency.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

oh yeah....STOP RACING THE KIDS AT PRACTICE!!!!!

HA! I know and today is the last practice of the season with the championships Saturday so I won't be tempted anymore until July when we start practicing for XC. The fastest sprinter on our team is an 11-year-old girl who ran a 1:07 in the 400m last weekend, which would be the equivalent of sub-5:30 in the mile if she had better endurance. I brought my Vizsla to practice last week and she raced the fastest kids and actually beat them in the 200m while towing me with the leash. It was a lot of fun and the kids loved it but I am paying for it now.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Running Problem

Problem Child

Impressive running. 5:30/mi is maybe what I could run with some training right now. According to the Daniles Tables spreadsheet I'm supposed to do a 1:20 400m so she has me SMOKED. I'll just keep running and beat her in distance. Just like my grand-daddy enjoyed in the pool.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

oh no...commanderkeen is sick before a race. shocking. In other news the sky is blue, the sun rises in the East, and the metric system is superior to liquid or dry ounces, and British currency.

Dude, getting sick during the race is more my thing, get it straight!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dude, getting sick during the race is more my thing, get it straight!

Perhaps you could write more detailed stories about your races so it’s easier to recall your blunders. #SorryNotSorry

VDOT 53.37 

DavePNW

I saw some guy walking around it with it in NYC on the day after the race just walking his dog. Could you possibly be any more cringe? Wearing it in Boston the day after is fine, like some folks who wear their medal around NYC on Monday (I would never do it, but I get it, especially for brand new folks who ran their first marathon). But the jacket in another city the day after just walking your dog? You know this guy is just BEGGING someone to come up to him and ask him if he ran the marathon yesterday.

Why would you buy a jacket and wear it once? I used mine as an everyday jacket for quite a while afterwards. It’s a fucking jacket! I’d be surprised if that guy thought anyone in NYC would notice or GAF. 

Although it’s pretty ridiculous that this year’s model only has one pocket. WTF?

A lot of people in Boston wear their medal around town after the race. I’ve never worn a medal other than from the finish line to the car or hotel. But I would’ve done it in Boston if I knew it was a thing.

Dave

Haha nothing like a bit of jacket rage 

I'm with Dave. Why not wear it. It would help if it wasn't an ugly jacket.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Kinda with Piwi and Dave on this.  Like, who cares?  If the guy wants to wear his race jacket, fine.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Maybe walking his dog with a CIM jacket on?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cinnamon - welcome back!  Perhaps your presence will also get JTReeves to join us.

Piwi is it 1 tattoo for each Sub-3, or just the first sub-3 marathon time? I've considered getting the times, then crossing them out as I beat them. I just don't know if I should start on my Fibularis (peroneus) brevis muscle and tendon and work my way up, or the longus version of the same muscle and work my way down. Going up seems to provide more room to improve and highlight my times. Going down seems to leave a gap closer to the knee where I'd end it with something like 3:01:26.

Have you considered getting a race time tattoo over each place where you often have a muscle knot?  Then, if you go in for deep tissue work, you can use the tattoos as guidance for where the work should be done.

Boston Jackets.  I never got one, as I have enough jackets.  Are they really good quality?  I have several friends who run in theirs regularly and claim to really like them, but the jackets always seemed flimsy to me and not worth what they cost.

If someone likes the jacket or gets enjoyment out of wearing it, then good for them. Yes, it can be annoying when people like to ensure others are aware of their accomplishments.  But on the other hand, isn't that what being a competitive jerk is all about?

Age grading:  For the fun of it, I put my times through the Howard Grubb 2015 calculator.  What I find interesting is that my mile PR is my best age-graded performance, followed in order by 10 miles, half-marathon, 5K, 10K, and marathon, with my marathon being my weakest age-graded performance.   All of these performances were run between ages 42 and 45, so it's not like a big difference in age (though every year counts).

However, when I put my race times through a VDOT calculator, my 10 mile PR is my best, followed by half-marathon and then marathon/mile (considered equivalent by Jack Daniels) then 10K, and then 5K.   So a completely different ranking.

So under VDOT, my mile and marathon PRs are equivalent performances, and not as good as the 10M/half-marathon performances, while under age-grading the mile PR is the strongest and the marathon PR the weakest.

This seems odd to me - perhaps it's because 1) age grading takes sex into consideration while the VDOT calculator does not and 2)  most women perform better at longer distances?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

*decides not to wear $200+ Boston marathon bib anymore*
                            Yeah…wearing the jacket is like wearing the raceday shirt on race day.  CRINGE.

Have you considered getting a race time tattoo over each place where you often have a muscle knot?  Then, if you go in for deep tissue work, you can use the tattoos as guidance for where the work should be done.

Only a runner would understand ‘it hurts somewhere between 3:32 and 2:58, occasionally around 3:56, but nothing hurts after two fiddy phi. Please don’t touch 3:05:24.7. Just leave it alone.’

the problem is I’d need to run more races, which could develop more pains in new locations, and I can’t show off the bold 2:55:22 going up and down my left thigh too frequently since I wear such long shorts.

as for the jacket…I would not be shocked to find out different years are different qualities.  They look like wind breakers to me. Some wind breakers are better. I’ve heard they suck as a running jacket. To go with the one picked up front, the rear pocket goes different ways. Women’s jackets it’s a kangaroo pouch. Men’s is a blazer finger hider style pocket or something I imagine the people who do Fencing would use. Maybe the jackets are warmer than they look, but after putting one on it didn’t seem impressive for $84+.

agw grade according to Peter grub (website above) for a 39 year old running a 2:55 is 71. For a 49 year old male it is 77. I’m forever a Seventy Percenter.  I should consider getting THIS tattooed on my forearm so I can show it off while walking Mr. Fluffy Pookins at the local park with my Bluetooth leash.

VDOT 53.37 

dktrotter

Dorothea

Sub 2:40 for the men and the women? Damn. Well, then we need a jerky wannabe competitive thread.

I'm woefully behind in life that's not academically related, but I do intend to catch up soon! Nice to see some new-to-me names.

Since my last deadline is May 7 and I won't catch up before then, I still wanted to wish Mark and CommanderKeen good luck for their races this weekend! Though as they say, luck has nothing to do with it. You're obviously very well prepared. Just stay healthy!

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

That jacket is hideous, but I don't care if somebody wants to wear it to walk their dogs, go to church or whatever. I wouldn't even notice it's a Boston jacket

DW - Thanks for that Grubb calculator, it seems I just need to keep running the same 5k road time for the next 4 years to be an 80%er. That will show Mikkey who's boss, I'm sure.

CommanderKeen - Here's hoping you get around quickly in time for the race. Now jump on those carbs!

Competitive Jerks - I'm in support of renaming the thread Wannabe & competitive jerks 😂

That said it seems the word competitive can have multiple meanings. According to Dr Google:

1 - relating to or characterized by competition. (A competitive sport)

2 - having or displaying a strong desire to be more successful than others (she had a competitive streak)

3 - as good as or better than others of a comparable nature (a car industry competitive with any in the world)

I fall in the 2nd meaning, whereas people like Cinnamon, Jmac and Mark fall in the 3rd.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly