Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Apparently there are 22 countries besides the US that designate their currency as a dollar.  Needless to say that confuses a lot of US travelers. 

Ecuador actually uses the US dollar as their currency. Only caveat is that their old currency (Sucre) small denomination coins are still accepted, so like the 50 sucre coin is accepted as a a 50 cent coin, that makes for a confused tourist while being handed back those coins as change.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You are Gen X.

Maybe you remember the band Generation X as I know you like a bit of punk rock….my older brother informed me that Billy Idol was always deemed too pretty to be a real punk rocker. 

In other super super exciting news!….I’ve registered for the Hove Prom 10k on the 15th October and the Brighton 10k on the 19th November (which is 2 weeks before CIM) and a big race.  I might have to ask Tyson if he can start a Sub40 or bust 10k thread as I really struggle to get motivated for these shorter distance races. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Tyson is surely a sub 30 runner???

I’ll be up for Sub 40 or bust

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Tyson is surely a sub 30 runner???

I’ll be up for Sub 40 or bust

I’ve taught Tyson to be respectful of others who are not as naturally fast as him…so I think he’ll be ok with starting a Sub 40. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Ecuador actually uses the US dollar as their currency. Only caveat is that their old currency (Sucre) small denomination coins are still accepted, so like the 50 sucre coin is accepted as a a 50 cent coin, that makes for a confused tourist while being handed back those coins as change.

For a second I thought you were suggesting Ecuador's currency was actually sugar.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

You big Dosser

I’ve taught Tyson to be respectful of others who are not as naturally fast as him…so I think he’ll be ok with starting a Sub 40. 👍

Bollocks!

Ok Genx sounds cool I will take it 

Mikkey I remember been 18 and it wasn't cool for me to like Billy Idol in front of my mates. ACDC and Iron Maiden were acceptable though 

Of course my wife had to worship George Michael who was the total opposite. Nowadays I appreciate his talent though.

Mikkey good to see you have signed up to those races. Do you think you can get back to sub 38 form or is that too tough now ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Not a lot of millennials on the thread with JMac being absent. Maybe only mmerkle and RP? But I could be wrong on that.

I am in the millennial category but I will likely never even break 3 hours in the marathon. I was able to earn a "mouse mug" for running the Half in 1 hour plus my age...

Strength work - I have been doing it for a while, especially on my hips and I am not having any pain in my Piriformis, just occasional tightness. I have also not been doing any speedwork faster than tempos for 6 weeks. The question I have is whether I need to focus on being able to do more weight with fewer reps or more reps with less weight? My objective is to be able to run at faster than 5k pace without ending up in pain.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

DavePNW

Maybe you remember the band Generation X as I know you like a bit of punk rock….my older brother informed me that Billy Idol was always deemed too pretty to be a real punk rocker. 

I knew about the band but never heard much of them - they didn't get much play in the US. I mainly knew Billy Idol from his post-Gen X solo career - "White Wedding" etc. He always had the leather and spiky hair look, but it almost looked too carefully done, like he was kind of a punk poseur. Yeah it does seem like most of the true punks were ugly mofos.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ok Genx sounds cool I will take it 

Mikkey I remember been 18 and it wasn't cool for me to like Billy Idol in front of my mates. ACDC and Iron Maiden were acceptable though 

Of course my wife had to worship George Michael who was the total opposite. Nowadays I appreciate his talent though.

Mikkey good to see you have signed up to those races. Do you think you can get back to sub 38 form or is that too tough now ?

In my younger years I had the Billy Idol bleached spiky hair…. much to my parents disgust!  Smile

I’ll have to wait and see if sub 38 is possible later in the year as I always play it by ear….but like I said previously, I’m taking CIM training seriously. 👍

mmerkle

I am in the millennial category but I will likely never even break 3 hours in the marathon. I was able to earn a "mouse mug" for running the Half in 1 hour plus my age...

Strength work - I have been doing it for a while, especially on my hips and I am not having any pain in my Piriformis, just occasional tightness. I have also not been doing any speedwork faster than tempos for 6 weeks. The question I have is whether I need to focus on being able to do more weight with fewer reps or more reps with less weight? My objective is to be able to run at faster than 5k pace without ending up in pain.

I'm still trying to improve my understanding of all of this, especially at the level of details. But my working understanding is this:

I think your goal is to work your way towards more weight, less reps. You get plenty of "reps" by being a runner. It's redundant to lift with high reps. You want something that will provide a new stimulus to the body. Heavy lifting trains the nervous system to activate more muscle fibers in addition to increasing the size of the muscle fibers, which results in more power. Lifting for reps does this to an extent, but less so, while also increasing the volume of the sarcoplasm, the fluid surrounding the fibers, which might lead to (presumably) unwanted hypertrophy (this is why body builders lift for reps, but aren't as strong as power lifters pound-for-pound). The benefits have to do with the nervous system, not just muscle mass. I believe plyometrics and speed work (as in sprinting, not tempo) do the same thing. They help the different muscle groups "talk to each other" more effectively, improving your running economy.

Also, in my experience, high rep lifting for my legs just makes them feel like shit, so it's more difficult to run as much as I'd like. With plyos and/or heavier lifting (sets of 6-8 say, or even less), I can really feel an increased pop in my stride.

I am very open to criticism here. Just trying to perpetuate this discussion.

Marky_Mark_17

I'm still trying to improve my understanding of all of this, especially at the level of details. But my working understanding is this:

I think your goal is to work your way towards more weight, less reps. You get plenty of "reps" by being a runner. It's redundant to lift with high reps. You want something that will provide a new stimulus to the body. Heavy lifting trains the nervous system to activate more muscle fibers in addition to increasing the size of the muscle fibers, which results in more power. Lifting for reps does this to an extent, but less so, while also increasing the volume of the sarcoplasm, the fluid surrounding the fibers, which might lead to (presumably) unwanted hypertrophy (this is why body builders lift for reps, but aren't as strong as power lifters pound-for-pound). The benefits have to do with the nervous system, not just muscle mass. I believe plyometrics and speed work (as in sprinting, not tempo) do the same thing. They help the different muscle groups "talk to each other" more effectively, improving your running economy.

Also, in my experience, high rep lifting for my legs just makes them feel like shit, so it's more difficult to run as much as I'd like. With plyos and/or heavier lifting (sets of 6-8 say, or even less), I can really feel an increased pop in my stride.

I am very open to criticism here. Just trying to perpetuate this discussion.

This is bang on, at least from my understanding.  You are trying to build power, and the way to do that is with fewer reps on bigger weights.  I believe the optimum is actually ~4-6 but I could be wrong on that.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

You are trying to build power, and the way to do that is with fewer reps on bigger weights.  

In that case I am the most powerful, since I do zero reps on an infinite amount of weight.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

In that case I am the most powerful, since I do zero reps on an infinite amount of weight.

HULK SMAAAAAASH!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Dave 😆

I remember watching Mo Farahs gym routine once. It was bugger all. Just 5 or so reps of a heavy for him weight. Only a couple of sets.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "