Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I saw them on their “Farewell Tour”…about 35 years ago.

lol i saw that tour too! at sun devil stadium with about 100,000 screaming fans. John Cougar opened and i saw a flying, twirling whiskey bottle hit him in the head. he fell off a huge stack, there was a 30 minute or so break and he came back out, excoriated the thrower of the bottle and played hurts so good. those Who albums from the early 80's are great. face dances and it's hard, google not even showing the latter in their discog

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

DavePNW

lol i saw that tour too! at sun devil stadium with about 100,000 screaming fans. John Cougar opened and i saw a flying, twirling whiskey bottle hit him in the head. he fell off a huge stack, there was a 30 minute or so break and he came back out, excoriated the thrower of the bottle and played hurts so good. those Who albums from the early 80's are great. face dances and it's hard, google not even showing the latter in their discog

For me I think it was at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh. What sticks in my head was seeing 3 different people puking at various points, so it was a real Who crowd. I'll disagree with you though - I think their post-Keith Moon work was not so great. Their best was Who's Next, Tommy, Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers. I enjoyed some of Pete's solo work too - I wore out the Empty Glass album.

Yeah opening acts often do not get treated so well. I saw the Ramones in the late '80s, and the opening act was practically booed off the stage, the crowd was pretty merciless. That band was actually Jane's Addiction, before anyone had ever heard of them.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’d love to have seen them live when Keith Moon was still alive (actually I’d have been too young to be allowed in!)  I read the Dear Boy biography and it’s hilarious, but also tragic.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve i wouldnt worry too much over a 5k. They are easy to jump in on and recover from. I always remember the Christchurch one as very cold. I think I ran it in gloves and beanie one time.

Yep, first day of July at 8am, anything above freezing is a bonus.  My first Lactate Threshold workout last night in a long time was absolutely brutal.  To be expected I guess but it adjusts my thinking for the Park Run.  It wasn't a huge workout but my HR was in the 190s at slower than 5km pace.  I spoke to my coach about it and he agrees that I'm better off starting towards the bottom of Zone 5 (currently set at 3:40-4:08/km) and lifting from there.  That makes a PR unlikely but gives me a chance to finish somewhere in the 19s, not have a big blow up and still get the threshold data we're looking for.  A PR is unlikely with any approach really, 4 weeks post-marathon with one speed workout.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

...when Keith Moon was still alive...

Did you know that Keith Moon and Mama Cass died in the same apartment room?  (... and also that it's probably not true that she died from choking on a ham sandwich.)

DavePNW

Did you know that Keith Moon and Mama Cass died in the same apartment room?  

Yes it was an apartment in London they had both rented from Harry Nilsson.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Did you know that Keith Moon and Mama Cass died in the same apartment room?  (... and also that it's probably not true that she died from choking on a ham sandwich.)

Oh, was it a cheese sandwich then?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Yes it was an apartment in London they had both rented from Harry Nilsson.

i wont disagree about the greatness of Quadrophenia and the others. also Harry Nilsson was awesome too! when i am around kids i always make them watch The Point 

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone see the AQI in New York?  Looks kind of unappealing.

https://map.purpleair.com/1/a/i/mAQI/a60/p604800/cC0#7.26/40.334/-76.831

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Western states is a hard race to get in to unless you are super elite. I got luck and ran in back in 2019. Amazing course and volunteers on the course. I would say it is harder to get in than Boston. You may qualify but not get in. Right now it takes about 4-7 years to get drawn in the lottery. A few wait wait longer like 8 years. Every year you have run a 100 miler to keep your tickets and every year if you don't get in our tickets double. I am still trying to get in again.

You can volunteer with some groups on the west coast to increase your chances. Some of them have their own lottery for entry. Similar to the 9 + 1 the New York Road Runners have for NYC Marathon. Maybe WSER will offer a virtual one soon. I'd rather do Leadville because I hate hills.

longboat keep getting after it. Strength training might have benefits running doesn't, and it has flaws/drwabacks running doesn't. Mostly gravity.

Flavio back in my "bodybuilding" days my goal was 97.5 kg (15.35 stones). I finally did it for two reps, told my workout buddy "High school me is satisfied. My high school ego is happy now." I probably did a few more pounds later on (so many units of mass) then eventually walked away from weight lifting. I'll never forget the guy who lifted so much he was told he had to LOSE weight to enter the military. I once asked how he scratched his back. "I have a chain link fence at work I lean up against."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Anyone see the AQI in New York?  Looks kind of unappealing.

https://map.purpleair.com/1/a/i/mAQI/a60/p604800/cC0#7.26/40.334/-76.831

New York is the new "New Delhi" 😈

You are all monsters in terms of strength. I should probably retire from this group cause I don't meet the minimum strength requirements.

It's no wonder you guys can run for like 18 days non stop and never get tired.

Steve - PR pace is 3:46/km. You will get it!

me - The race organizers of the half marathon I was targeting (Riga half marathon world champs) decided to change the start time due to TV slots from 11:15 to 14:15. I'm not happy about that. I'm even less happy about the fact I booked non refundable flight tickets.

I did a mad dash to ahotu.com and found another half marathon also on October 1st in Köln/Cologne, Germany, big field, completely flat and it starts at 9am.

I might switch to that assuming I can somehow change my flights to go to Düsseldorf (KLM does not fly to Köln/Bonn airport it seems).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

DavePNW

You are all monsters in terms of strength. I should probably retire from this group cause I don't meet the minimum strength requirements.

It's no wonder you guys can run for like 18 days non stop and never get tired.

If there were any strength requirement, I'd be among the first to go. But I can assure you it has no relationship to ability to build long consecutive-day run streaks. The only time I ever take days off are (1) when I'm injured, (2) for a few days after marathons, (3) special cases of extra-crazy travel schedules, (4) AQI >150. My streaks never get too long because of #2 - I try to do two a year. My longest streak of 250 days came in 2020 when there were no marathons, and I managed to avoid #1. It was ultimately stopped by #4. I once had a streak stopped by #3, on a trip to Japan - I did not miss a day based on my body clock, but the International Date Line got me.

Dave

Resident Historian

me - The race organizers of the half marathon I was targeting (Riga half marathon world champs) decided to change the start time due to TV slots from 11:15 to 14:15. I'm not happy about that. I'm even less happy about the fact I booked non refundable flight tickets.

Flavio -- Hold on a minute -- I assume the concern is with weather conditions at 14:15?
                            Riga October 1st daily high would be about 12-13⁰C. To me, that's an acceptable temp for a half.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

I think as light weight runners it's hard to have impressive lifting figures. Top runners have arms like Tyrannosaurus mostly .

I seem to be able to bench 65kg which is basically my body weight but I haven't tried for about a year.

Flavio my kayakfishing fishing buddy is 43 and fully into power lifting. Funny thing was last time we carried his kayak down the beach he had to stop for cramp 

His Instagram gives these stats bench 180kg

Squat 270 kg and deadlift 270 kgs. He's quite short and wide with short arms and legs but weighs over 100 kgs now.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Piwi - that's why there are weight classes in weight lifting. The world class athletes dead lift a little over 3x their body weight so your buddy is very impressive, he's like sub elite.

I was watching a championship a few months ago and it was the women under 66kg I believe, if you saw them on the street you wouldn't guess they're THAT strong.

Longboat - my concerns were with the sun being high in the sky, the possibility of a warmer day mucking up my plans, and that I have no way to deal with a race starting at that time.

I have highest energy levels in the early morning and my battery decreases during the day. A 2pm start would mean I'd be waiting to start since 6am, it's too much time to think about the race 😀

Anyway, update: I managed to change the flights, we're going to Köln now !!!! I always like to visit Germany, everything is comparably more organized and clean, people are very respectful of personal space heh.

I've also signed up for a 5k race on August 20th, while we'll be visiting my parents in Brazil. That could go well.

Dk Trotter, Josh wolf and Mick jogger will be happy to know that the town is called Blumenau and it keeps the German look downtown. Street names are all in German etc.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly