Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

CalBears

On a side note:

Someone should be shooting a documentary about the legendary meeting between Cal and Mikkey.  Who's going to cross the finish line first, the Northern Irish living in England or the Russian living in the US.

I bet there's gonna be lots of hugs and tears 😁

I would ask RP for making a documentary, but I heard he is busy in his project with James Cameron 

As for hugs and tears - I doubt it - I think as a descendant of Steve Ovett, Mikkey first will beat me in a race and as a descendant of Tyson Fury he will literally beat me at the finish line  - I now rethinking my exit strategy 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - From now on I will count and log every last single-celled organism I see while running.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

I would ask RP for making a documentary, but I heard he is busy in his project with James Cameron 

As for hugs and tears - I doubt it - I think as a descendant of Steve Ovett, Mikkey first will beat me in a race and as a descendant of Tyson Fury he will literally beat me at the finish line  - I now rethinking my exit strategy 

I’m not in shape to do it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Piwi - thanks! It’s not the Melbourne marathon, it’s Run Prix which is a new event. The half at Melbourne marathon isn’t set up for especially fast times. It’s more the 2 hour half runners that are the annoying ones!

I had the typical Jetstar delayed flight and arrived at 4am. Absolutely exhausted yesterday but just had a better sleep. Partner wants to do touristy stuff today so I’ll have to watch my step count. There’s some event called Garryowen named after a horse from the 30s at the Melbourne Show or something

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

mmerkle

Steve Your goal for this weekend is a sub 1:28 according to the front page, is that correct? Possible rule 7 violation? You just ran an 18:40 5k man. I would say at minimum (maximum?) sub 1:27, with a very possible sub 1:26. Or is the course challenging? I noticed you said it isn't a fast course but is sub 1:27 that much of a stretch?

Commander I chuckled at that old saying, I'm going to use that whenever I can. Speed is pretty important to me, especially since I want that sub 2:50 in the spring. But then again it sounds like you're saying that training for the 50 would help just as much with the sub 2:50? I am still chasing my 2014 PRs for the 10k and half. I won't get them this year, but next year I should be getting really close. I guess I'm still struggling with this decision here, but I have time.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

mmerkle - in the long run I think that 50 mile training will get you to sub 2:50 but it may be delayed gratification.  Like you say, you have plenty of time, your peak is potentially 10 years away.

The course for Run Prix is fast, the Melbourne Marathon half is the one that is a bit slower - that's a big event in 3 weeks.  Am I sandbagging?  I don't know, right now I feel terrible just from a shortish flight across the Tasman, really sore back, tired and a bit grumpy.  Travelling is such a mission compared to pre-Covid.  Those 5km and 10km times either show I have a lot left in me in longer distances, or I'm better at short distances.  Assuming I have a nice quiet couple of days, I do feel like sub 1:28 is something I should feel confident about.  When I entered the race, I thought it would be a stretch requiring a perfect day and taking some risks.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

1. I only have roughly 8 weeks to work with before JFK and my body is taking its sweet time recovering from Erie.

2. I would like to post a decent 10k and/or half before the end of the year and really work on my speed. I know you basically already answered this, but can I do BOTH? By speed I don't just mean tempo/lactate threshold, but also VO2 max and leg speed? And then hop in to the 50 miler assuming I also maintain high mileage (which I plan on regardless) and do some long runs?

It is possible, at least for some runners.  I have the rather unusual claim of running my indoor mile PB (4:45.9) a month before setting my marathon PB (2:54:56).  Though I should note I was not training specifically for a marathon.  This may not fit well into your training, but I ran one good interval/repetition workout per week at what I think Daniels calls R pace, basically mile race pace.  That could be something like 10-12 x 400m @ 70 seconds with 400m jog recovery for me at the time.  Although not strictly a VO2Max workout (that would be closer to 3K or 5K race pace), it should build VO2Max and also give you time to work on speed without true sprinting.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m a lover, not a fighter!

What warmed me to Steve Ovett back in 1980 at Moscow was his ILY (I Love You) hand gesture to his girlfriend after his 800m win against Seb which I thought was very romantic! ❤️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Merkle - I'm going to agree with Steve here. Training to run a fast 50 (not just completing a 50, which is of course far different) will probably go further to get sub 2:50 than training for a 10k. Build up a massive aerobic base, then layer on speed. Perhaps I'm a bit biased, though, because this generally my approach to ultras this year and likely speed (10k and faster) training next spring ahead of (hopefully) NYC.

Steve - Travel is still messed up after covid? What hasn't gone back to normal?

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

CalBears

I’m a lover, not a fighter!

What warmed me to Steve Ovett back in 1980 at Moscow was his ILY (I Love You) hand gesture to his girlfriend after his 800m win against Seb which I thought was very romantic! ❤️

Your comment about Ovett made mew watch that 800 meters race (no, I didn't see ILY gesture Smile  and then I watched Coe vs Ovett documentary and yeah, Ovett was so different from Coe. Both great, now doubt. But what I found funny - I saw Ovett running many races in a red t-shirt with Soviet Union's symbols on his t-shirt - hummer and sickle - that's funny - what it was about?

ok, I found the explanation (if it's true about Ovett's vest):

Ovett wearing red short with symbol

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Your comment about Ovett made mew watch that 800 meters race (no, I didn't see ILY gesture Smile  and then I watched Coe vs Ovett documentary and yeah, Ovett was so different from Coe. Both great, now doubt. But what I found funny - I saw Ovett running many races in a red t-shirt with Soviet Union's symbols on his t-shirt - hummer and sickle - that's funny - what it was about?

ok, I found the explanation (if it's true about Ovett's vest):

Ovett wearing red short with symbol

I was 14yo at the time of the Moscow Olympics and my Dad made me watch all the track races and he was a big fan of Seb….and I’m thinking…..actually I prefer Steve Ovett and secretly loved him!

Look at Seb’s face after his defeat, such a bad loser!

I hope you aren’t a bad loser. 

ETA - Ovett did the ILY during the heats and I’m pretty sure he did it after the final…does anyone have extended footage after his victory?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Good luck this weekend, Steve!

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Good luck this weekend, Steve!

Yeah - Smash 'em, bro!

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Marky_Mark_17

Yep all the best out there Steve. Hope you get better weather than they had in Sydney for the marathon last weekend!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dktrotter

Dorothea

Hope you have a great race, Steve!

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: April 28, Glass City Marathon, 3:29:53. Saw deer; cried; didn't melt in rain or heat.