Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

There is one on the West coast you should look into.  it’s in December. Mostly downhill. 

Tucson. December 10, 2023.

We must have different definitions of "coast", but that's the #1 choice so far. The biggest hurdle logistics-wise would be getting a rental car since the race site is 45 highway minutes from the airport. The biggest hurdle domestically is that DW might have cleared out the house and taken the kids in protest by the time I get back.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Anyone up for the Rotterdam Marathon next April?…Flavio/MickJogger?  

So many nice marathons in Europe in April (Brighton , London, Paris, Zurich Vienna), why Rotterdam???

And I don't think I will be able to run a marathon in April unfortunately, although I would love to! I am thinking about either Valencia or Lisbon next year i.e. second half of the year. Looking forward to hearing what Flavio has in mind.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Fishyone

I've run NYC 4 times (out of 7 total).

The three others were CIM, Grandma's, and Boston.

I do love that I can sleep in my own bed for NYC.

In terms of expecting it? Yes, everyone asks me every year "are you running NYC this year?" It's always weird to them when I say no, I'm going somewhere else.

Ugh all this talk of marathoning - I do miss it. I just wish I could wake up in the mornings like you crazy people. I'm definitely going to be running more this winter - there's nothing else to do!

1. Very Nice!! 4 NYC's.

2. Yes, home field advantage includes own bed, Bathroom and Shower afterward!!!

3. All non-runners (in the US) think there are like 3 marathons a year Boston, NYC, Chicago

4. Take your time....the itch will continue and get worse until you find yourself back doing central park loops!! It's like the mafia you never really leave.....

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So many nice marathons in Europe in April (Brighton , London, Paris, Zurich Vienna), why Rotterdam???

And I don't think I will be able to run a marathon in April unfortunately, although I would love to! I am thinking about either Valencia or Lisbon next year i.e. second half of the year. Looking forward to hearing what Flavio has in mind.

Well I’ve run Brighton 6 times (5 as a pacer) and London 8 times (all subs3s )  and I ran Paris in 2009 which was an amazing experience!  I registered for Rotterdam this morning because it’s a fast flat course with a good reputation and it’s only a 1 hour flight from London so it’s going to be reasonably convenient. Good to hear that you had a great experience at Berlin and willing to put yourself through more long run trauma next year. 

Flavio - You have a great imagination.   Good luck with the half. 👍

Fishyone - My cadence is rarely less than 192. I’m always in a hurry.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I know you’ve heard about ocean front property in Arizona.  Don’t you try foolin me. I ain’t THAT big of a city boy.

As for the house do what I do. Ask your wife ‘where do I send the check?’

soeaking of….she rolled her eyes at me when I said I was probably running CIM. I think half because I did so well at Boston it’s a ‘why?’ situation. The other half being my kid’s birthday. 

I said she could bring them and hang out in the hotel. I’d be back around noon.

We must have different definitions of "coast", but that's the #1 choice so far. The biggest hurdle logistics-wise would be getting a rental car since the race site is 45 highway minutes from the airport. The biggest hurdle domestically is that DW might have cleared out the house and taken the kids in protest by the time I get back.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

So many nice marathons in Europe in April (Hamburg, Brighton , London, Paris, Zurich, Vienna), why Rotterdam???

Fify .

Flavio - Good luck this weekend. Forecast as of now is 10°C/sunny at 8:00 and 17°C /partly cloudy AT 11:00. Wind 2m/s, so barely perceptible.

ETA: While I'm at it and because I'm only posting from time to time - good luck to you as well, oh thread dictator Keen. May your kids stay healthy the next seventeen days!

Me: Still on the rebound from post-covid-syndrome. There's not a lot of bounding to report, though. Three easy runs per week seems to be all I can handle without any setbacks. I hope to be able to report regularly next year. New AG in 2026, so plenty of time.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Me: Still on the rebound from post-covid-syndrome. There's not a lot of bounding to report, though. Three easy runs per week seems to be all I can handle without any setbacks. I hope to be able to report regularly next year. New AG in 2026, so plenty of time.

This is what happens when you don’t get your vaccine and boosters. 🤦🏻

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Nope. Vaccine twice, twice boostered. Problem was probably an extreme low level of vitamin D. Talk about avoiding skin cancer .

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nope. Vaccine twice, twice boostered. Problem was probably an extreme low level of vitamin D. Talk about avoiding skin cancer .

Dear oh dear oh dear oh dear….I really don’t know what to say apart from good luck with the recovery. 👍

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RP is already there at the finish line, he managed to PR yet again with a time of 2h54. In the 6 minutes between his arrival and the time both Mikkey and Cal cross the finish line, he already managed to call 207 people to talk about the race, and to write the first 15 pages of his race report.

This clearly belongs on the front page.  My only issue with your preview is no mention of Moose Mugs?

30% - The hot early pace gets me in the later stages and I fade to something like a 1h26

I resemble this comment.

I'm back home and very tired from celebrating, not the race.  Amazing how a half marathon can lead to very little soreness but try playing 18 holes of golf and heading down to the cricket nets...

I'll catch up on the rest of the banter soon.

Keen - One nitpick that I'm sure you understand...my official time was 1:26:48 (I know I originally had 49 seconds but they rounded down in the official results so I will too )

Home bed advantage - This was a big mental block for me so to have an A+ result away from home is so nice.  Having said that, the next attempt at the gorilla on my back will be at home.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

You have post Covid symptoms due to skin cancer? This is news to me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

. I don't think my English is that bad.

CalBears

. I don't think my English is that bad.

Yeah, I saw few youtube videos with medical professionals where they analize covid data and almost all bad cases patiens had very low vitamin D level...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Get well gute Besserung!

I have had a slight balance disorder since having had Covid (and they gave me the Moderna crap) and I know a number of people that aren’t the same. I am sure this isn’t over yet. The Wuhan people should all be forced to do Jack Daniels training plans for the rest of their lifes…

Agree with Josh though - Mikkey you should have signed up for Hamburg instead (careful the city has a major red light district I was told)!It’s a real shame but April is a no no for me (I will get in trouble at home - and I would pay for that for the rest of my life). And then May / June is already too late  for Europe. I will join you in London 2025 / or do one of the Peninsula marathons in the second half of 2024. 

flavio should be tapering but is nowhere to be seen!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Agree with Josh though - Mikkey you should have signed up for Hamburg instead (careful the city has a major red light district I was told)!It’s a real shame but April is a no no for me (I will get in trouble at home - and I would pay for that for the rest of my life). And then May / June is already too late  for Europe. I will join you in London 2025 / or do one of the Peninsula marathons in the second half of 2024. 

That’s too late as I’ll have retired from marathons by then…maybe.