Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

DavePNW

piwi - congrats, nice race! Congrats on the course AG record and the 80% - apparently that allows you to stay in the thread. 

Why have you not been using the Next% 2, and what made you start now? Those are the only super shoes I've ever had; I bought them ~2 years ago and am completely sold on them, I've used them in every race since.

On course length - I did a parkrun where I was doing a warmup jog with one of the regulars, who volunteers whenever he doesn't race. (And when he does race, often wins. With his dog.) We were warming up on the course; got to one of the turnaround points and there was construction going on - we'd have to turn around early. He paced off the distance we'd lose, went to one of the other turnarounds and paced off the same distance to make it longer. Problem solved!

And this parkrun gets some fast old folks. AG records:

M50-54 - 16:58, 87.6% (the guy mentioned above - presumably his dog also holds the canine record)

M55-59 - 18:01, 87.5%

M60-64 - 18:02, 88.9% (also the overall AG% record; same guy as 55-59, run right after turning 60)

Dave

DK thanks and cool that you were born in Russia. I was born in England but came to New Zealand in 1975 at age 7. My mother is German jew and escaped just before WW2

Dave thanks yes lots of fast 55 plus runners out there.

I think 17 to 18 mins is where alot of that age group records parkrun times are at. The strava 5k segment for this parkrun gave me 18.20 which shows how far out segment times can be if you run a similar course.

I haven't used the shoes much because I haven't raced much. I first wore them on a 10k tt on my 53rd birthday and did a couple of parkruns and one half marathon 2 years ago.

Some of you might have seen my strava video of a thief stealing 3 pairs of my running shoes the other night.

He left me with a grotty old pair of pegasus 36 and Nike tempo next % with 1200kms on 

Needless to say I will put them inside now !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Awesome job! You're an 80%er!!!! That's national class!

You should have warmed up on the race course to identify that misplaced cone earlier 😂

I'm sorry to hear your neighborhood is no longer safe, though I remember it's not the first time people stoke your shoes from your porch.

DW - What's the current status of your balance issues if I may ask ? I remember you had found medication that would alleviate the symptoms, but tricky footing, downhills and large crowds were still an issue.

me - So my wife loss her sense of smell yesterday 😐 Covid is bizarre.

On my side, I was in a really bad shape on Monday, then seemed to be just fine on Tuesday. Yet somehow yesterday I had laringitis and couldn't speak for a few hours? Since then I have this putrid taste in my throat (due to the laringitis) and everything I eat or drink has that taste 🤮

I remember I went to the eye doctor a few months ago and he found a blood formation behind my left eye. There's no logic explanation for it as I'm not diabetic. The only other thing he could think of was to ask: "Have you had covid ?"

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Darkwave & Keen - Good luck!

Flavio - That was just bad luck. DK ist right about saying that usually October offers perfect running weather in Germany. Example: Köln at 10:30 today had 14°C, overcast, almost no wind. Only occasionally there's a stream of warm air from Spain or even Africa coming in ... . After seeing your splits and computing a little I realized you'd probably have mixed feelings about your result. Congratulations anyway. Have a good recovery and then go earn your retirement from marathoning in Valencia.

ETA: Ooooops. Hope you can sort this out. Best wishes to both of you.

Wcrunner - Lol & yes!

This thread is moving too fast for me at the moment (no computer at hand, so writing is very inconvenient), so I'll just say "Hi" to everybody else.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

CalBears

On a TOTALLY different subject, but related to legs - means running...

Anybody experienced legs pain, kind of dull pain inside legs - exactly what you would experience when having flu? Why I am asking? Because I only have that dull pain in my legs - starting from the hip down. The upper part of the body feels totally fine and no fever or headache. Just legs and they feel like I have a flu, but only legs. I ran very little last few days and I am sure it is not running related. Just feels weird...

DW - good luck tomorrow!

Non-binary - there is no such thing. End of discussion (for me at least Smile

Dorothea - wow! I didn't know you were born in USSR - must be at the end of the era... And I am sure your real name from the USSR is not Dorothea - as there is no such name there Smile Might be Dasha or Dariya? Smile

Thanks for vote of confidence Smile Mikkey will be tough to beat - I saw him in person - he is very slim and optimistic

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey will be tough to beat - I saw him in person - he is very slim and optimistic

Honestly I’m so far off sub3 right now even though I’ve had a couple of good mileage months and guessing I’m currently at 3:15/20 marathon shape and really need to work on some proper speed and tempo runs!  The only time I ever have any soreness in the inner upper legs is when I overdo it with squats. 🤷‍♂️. Hopefully it clears up soon. 👍

darkwave - Good luck!

Piwi - That’s an excellent Parkrun time and sorry about the shoes!  Maybe you need to have electronic gates fitted to your house. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Flavio you are falling apart  welcome to middle age !

Hope you get over all that stuff. It seems I have to be happy with getting slower each year or is it because of my lack of training....

Cal I'm not sure about the leg thing. I suffer restless legs at night sometimes and I have to get up and foam roll them. Would a foam roll relieve them somewhat?

Mikkey automatic gates would be cool but a bit pricey for me right now   I'm pretty sure that Parkrun is about 20 secs slower than my other parkrun across town which only has one turn and no hills.

I'm sure you can build your fitness towards another sub 3. You are so experienced.

Huge shoutout to Keen on winning the Worst Half marathon.

Ok I will drop my week seeing as it was almost worthy of this thread. 5 k yesterday went as well as expected. It's left me with the vo2max type throat irritation that I often get after a hard effort.

Weekly for period: From: 02/10/2023 To 08/10/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                in m
                02/10 Morning Run 6.22 10.01 00:53:41 08:38 05:22 5
                03/10 Morning Run with 10x400 7.46 12.00 00:56:03 07:31 04:40 8
                04/10 Morning Run 6.25 10.06 00:50:14 08:02 05:00 11
                06/10 3 pairs shoes stolen ! 6.24 10.05 00:49:06 07:52 04:53 5
                07/10 To Parkrun 6.84 11.00 00:49:38 07:15 04:31 2
                07/10 Morning Run 3.74 6.01 00:31:17 08:22 05:12 0
                08/10 Morning Run with Philip 11.19 18.01 01:31:24 08:10 05:04 16

1. Totals: Time: 06:21:23 - 🦅Imperial: 47.94 mi - Metric:

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

Honestly I’m so far off sub3 right now even though I’ve had a couple of good mileage months and guessing I’m currently at 3:15/20 marathon shape and really need to work on some proper speed and tempo runs!  The only time I ever have any soreness in the inner upper legs is when I overdo it with squats. 🤷‍♂️. Hopefully it clears up soon. 👍

Honestly, when I look at your log, if you are in 3:15 shape, I am in 3:30 shape - I don not think you are in 3;15 shape though - all you need now is some tempo runs, you have some awesome mileage under your belt by now, so, endurance is there, now you need to get some speed endurance which you have time to get to. I think you are trying to make me feel too safe - ha-ha - won't work mate Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - congrats on the parkrun effort, well done!  Small consolation after getting your shoes pinched.  I only ever leave very muddy trail shoes and my gumboots outside lol.  There is a new parkrun starting up here in a month or so, using the new shared path that runs along the Northern motorway.  It will be fairly hilly but I might have to check it out.  I know what you mean about the slightly sore throat thing after a really hard VO2Max effort too.

Flavio - COVID really puts that race effort into perspective.  Awesome effort.

Keen - congrats on the race W - I know you'd been chasing that one for a while!

JoshWolf - hi!

Cal / Mikkey - now you're both trying to claim underdog status? That's a turnaround from a couple of weeks ago haha.

Anyways my week was kind of chunky for a post-race week.  Legs a bit sluggish but we'll see what this week holds.

Weekly for period: From: 02/10/2023 To 08/10/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                    Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                    in m
                    02/10 That run where road race smashed legs are different to trail race smashed legs 4.03 6.48 00:30:00 07:27 04:38 10
                    03/10 That run where prevailing westerly might make Tamaki Drive a little less fun 7.47 12.02 00:53:04 07:06 04:25 35
                    04/10 That run where it was cold but was it really 4 degrees cold? 8.24 13.25 00:54:12 06:35 04:05 23
                    05/10 That run with a headwind in both directions, apparently 11.21 18.03 01:12:48 06:30 04:02 27
                    07/10 That run where you gotta love that Loki and Mobius banter 8.16 13.12 00:50:03 06:08 03:49 6
                    08/10 That run where Station St is in full bloom 🌸 13.72 22.07 01:38:54 07:13 04:29 231

Totals: Time: 05:59:01 - 🦅Imperial: 52.81 mi - Metric: 84.98 km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey guys - thanks for all the good wishes.  Weather here is fantastic and the taper seems to have worked, so I'm optimistic.

As for shoe choice?  I'm going with the Hoka Rocket X2.    I really like them except that they have no traction on wet pavement.  And rain does not appear to be in the forecast, so....

DW - What's the current status of your balance issues if I may ask ? I remember you had found medication that would alleviate the symptoms, but tricky footing, downhills and large crowds were still an issue.

Still there - I'm just learning to manage them better with a lot of PT (stuff like lunging onto bosu balls, balancing on one foot or in tandem stance while moving my gaze around or closing my eyes).   Medication helps some, but it's not a perfect fix.  But I'm in a better place than I was at this time last year in terms of managing stuff.

Catching up on a few shoutouts:

Good luck CK!  (and that meme about Flavio's half-marathon was genius)

DavePNW - good point on how the TC cancellation would have come across much differently if they had just been more clear from the start.  A good lesson for other races.

Fishy/DKTrotter - I'm clearly going to have to find a way to be at Philly this year.

Piwi - congratulations!

Flavio - I hope you and DW feel better.

Marky_Mark  - totally understandable why your legs might feel trashed.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DavePNW

Good luck darkwave! Weather looks almost exactly the same as last year, you’ve certainly got a shot at a good day. You’ve been added to my tracker!

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Yes - all the best Darkwave!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

piwi Nice racing there! You've got sub 19 for sure soon. Especially on a course with less sharp turns.

dw Hope you have a great race tomorrow. I'm feelin a big day for you. Time for your super consistent training to pay off.

Commander FTW!!! Looking forward to the RR.

Fishyone

Dwave- Go get ‘em!! Enjoy the race.  And YES come to Philly!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

DavePNW - good point on how the TC cancellation would have come across much differently if they had just been more clear from the start.  A good lesson for other races.

Fishy/DKTrotter - I'm clearly going to have to find a way to be at Philly this year.

NYC Marathon screwed up in much the same way following Hurricane Sandy back in 2012.

Philly is my neck of the woods.  My club usually mans the water stop at about the 10 mile mark.  Don't know my plans yet this year. Usually I end up with a conflict and can't make it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.