Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

CalBears

Cal & Mikkey - Banter here has certainly taken a big turn.

Well... What can you do - Russians are very peaceful people... And there is nothing more polite then British politeness... 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal & Mikkey - Banter here has certainly taken a big turn.

I’ve known Cal for at least 10 years online now? and got to meet him last year which was fantastic as we’re both on the same wavelength and we will be rooting for each other during training as neither of us want to go down the line of excuses!  May the best old woman win!

darkwave - Congrats and hope you enjoyed the experience. 👍

Andy - I’m enjoying your son updates more then you….so maybe you need to up your game. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I look at Vladimir Putin and I’m thinking I’ve got a better body than him. He’s let himself go imo.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DavePNW

According to FindMyMarathon.com, there was a substantial increase in BQs run at Chicago vs last year, despite the weather being basically the same. 

2022: 39,429 x 15.4% = 6072

2023: 48,228 x 19.5% = 9404

I guess they let a bigger field in, but…is it just more people getting the shoes? 🤷‍♂️

Does not bode well for 2025 Boston squeakers! Unless there’s shitty weather at Boston 2024.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

According to FindMyMarathon.com, there was a substantial increase in BQs run at Chicago vs last year, despite the weather being basically the same. 

2022: 39,429 x 15.4% = 6072

2023: 48,228 x 19.5% = 9404

I guess they let a bigger field in, but…is it just more people getting the shoes? 🤷‍♂️

Does not bode well for 2025 Boston squeakers! Unless there’s shitty weather at Boston 2024.

I don’t think the cheater shoes would have much impact unless you’re running at 7min/mile or faster.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Andy - I’m enjoying your son updates more then you….so maybe you need to up your game. 

Maybe we have discovered which runner in my family has actual running talent...?

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

CalBears

I look at Vladimir Putin and I’m thinking I’ve got a better body than him. He’s let himself go imo.

Will see how you will look like at 71 years old 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Will see how you will look like at 71 years old 

I will still look awesome. 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I want to look like this guy when I get older…just stunning!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Shoes:  As someone who really struggles to run in most supershoes right now, and would really benefit competitively from everyone being forced to race in Nike Frees - I still have no problem with them.  Life, technology, and the rest of the world are going to move forward, and as long as we have clear rules in place for what is allowed, it's fine.  Any time you make a change in a sport, there are winners and losers, people who gain or lose.  But you can't trap sports in amber.

[I also think the shoes are a very small part of this big jump in times.  I'm more cynical than that.  Especially when you now have runners performing so well from the 800 all the way up to the marathon.]

Race report: Well, I'm TRYING to run...: Race Report: Chicago Marathon, October 8, 2023 (wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com)

Week:

53 miles, 500 yards swimming, and 1 hour pool-running.
                      M: 60 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga
                      T: 7 miles, with 5x800 in 3:28, 3:23, 3:17, 3:12, 3:11 with recoveries in 3:0x (except for one in 3:23 due to track traffic)
                      W: 8 miles very easy (9:16) with some grass running followed by upperbody weights/core
                      Th: 7 miles with 2x1 mile at early marathon effort (7:40 and 7:34)
                      F: travel
                      Sa: 4 miles very easy (9:15)
                      Su: 1/2 mile jog, and then marathon in 3:20:29. Followed by nachos and hamburger.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DavePNW

I don’t think the cheater shoes would have much impact unless you’re running at 7min/mile or faster.

Well some of them are doing that—I saw a figure that there was a >1000 increase in sub-3s. But that hasn’t been my experience anyway; I’m nowhere near that, and I’ve seen a huge difference. Same with many of my other running friends.

Dave

flavio80

Not an 80%er

[I also think the shoes are a very small part of this big jump in times.  I'm more cynical than that.  Especially when you now have runners performing so well from the 800 all the way up to the marathon.]

Well there's cheater spikes as well 😁

Thanks for the race report, it was excellent as usual. There's so much to learn from your observations.

For one, though I'm not likely to go for Chipotle, I'll definitely only go for food that is easy on the stomach on the days preceding my next races.

Second, the importance of relaxation during a marathon race. That is the absolutely most difficult thing I need to figure out.

Kudos for a brilliant performance!

Re: the slight hamstring cramps, I believe the earlier adductor pain and the extra energy expenditure at every water station are the likely culprits, in that order.

Mikkey - I'm happy to report that I figured out tag filters in 9gag and now I pretty much only see cat memes. All the war, woke, anti-woke and politics crap are filtered out. Also, your bait is weak 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well there's cheater spikes as well 😁

I should be clear - I mean the same athlete racing so well from the 800/1500 up to the marathon, at the same time.  At the world class level, I expect to see specialization and focus, to get that last 1% of performance that is necessary to compete at that level.

I am not surprised to see an athlete who is good at the shorter stuff one year change their focus and move up to the longer stuff and perform very well there the next year. And sometimes the inverse happens also.

But I don't expect to see an athlete win the London Marathon in April, win a world championships medal in the 1500 in August, and then win the Chicago marathon in October.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Not an 80%er

But I don't expect to see an athlete win the London Marathon in April, win a world championships medal in the 1500 in August, and then win the Chicago marathon in October.

Oh, I fully agree with that!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

mt79

Hi all.  Late joiner to the 2023 thread to be ready for the 2024 thread.  I haven’t done much of any kind of running the past 8 years.  I did make a brief return here around 2018/2019 thread, but medical issues derailed things.  Still see a lot of familiar names so that’s nice!

Anyway, I’m hoping to build up to a sub 3 attempt next year.  My previous 3 marathons were 2013,14,15 in 3:54, 3:25, 3:09.  I never managed to finish a training bloc for any of those without injury, but cross training while injured got me under my 3:30 and 3:10 goals in 2014-2015.

Right now I look a lot worse than 71 year old Putin, so I’ve got some work to do. I’m like 30 lbs heavier than my last marathon?  All stomach/core strength of course….

Regarding runners doing well at many distances, people seem to focus more on aerobic fitness now.