Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cal - I have this condition where sometimes, randomly, I will be WAY more sore than I should. It started over the last 3 years.
    I have 2 running theories: One is some sort of vitamin imbalance, the other is some sort of gastro intestinal issue, where like dunno, the pancreas or liver secrete too much of the stuff that makes you feel sore.
    But the symptoms are extremely excessive soreness after a strength training workout. 
    It's like I've been handling these weights for 3 months without issues. Then suddenly after one session, I'm completely wrecked.
    I even have difficulty sleeping because my entire body is so tense and locked up.
    Then after one or 2 days I'm back to normal.
    I hope whatever you have pass quickly as well.

Piwi - I mean, you're definitely not training the same amount as a few years back, so in a sense you have to expect slower results.
    But you've got the genes, we've seen it how many times now that if you apply yourself for only 3 or 4 months you can run sub 18 for 5k.

me - My wife already recovered her sense of smell. I'm back to moving to another room when I need to let out the most toxic gases ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’จ

She was whatsapp video calling her parents yesterday, my father in law heard me coughing and said "That one will not live past Christmas" LOL, my father in law is awesome, I was laughing for 3 minutes non stop ๐Ÿ˜‚

Anyway, despite the covid suckiness, I can run. I know eventually covid will give up and I also know my immune system has already won the battle, now it's just a matter of time before I can expel all the gunk out.

8 weeks till mission day.

Weekly for period: From: 10/02/2023 To 10/08/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
    Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in ft
    10/03 45'E 4.42 7.11 00:45:00 10:11 06:20 184
    10/04 60'E 6.71 10.80 01:00:00 08:57 05:33 328
    10/05 70'E 8.18 13.16 01:10:00 08:33 05:19 456
    10/06 70'E 8.44 13.58 01:10:00 08:18 05:09 449
    10/07 60'E 7.08 11.39 01:00:00 08:28 05:16 571
    10/08 2h20 16.71 26.88 02:20:05 08:23 05:13 558

Totals: Time: 07:25:05 - ๐Ÿฆ…Imperial: 51.54 mi - Metric: 82.93 km

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Darkwave through 5K in 25:34

ETA: Speeding up. Second 5K in 23:36, 10K in 49:10

ETA II: She did it again. Third 5K in 23:01, 15K in 1:12:11

ETA III: Found her groove. Fourth 5K in 23:16, 20K in 1:35:27

ETA IV: HM in 1:40:39

ETA V: Yep, groove. Fifth 5K in 23:10, 25K in 1:58:37. More than three minutes ahead of her split in Houston this January.

ETA VI: Hopefully just a little bump. Sixth 5K in 23:30, 30K in 2:22:07. Now hang on, the marathon starts here!

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

mmerkle

Thanks for tracking.

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

I'll keep modifying the post above.

DavePNW

Darkwave

ETA: Speeding up.

ETA II: She did it again.

That’s how she rolls! Go DW!!

Dave

DavePNW

Not to mention Kelvin Kiptum at WR and sub-2:01 pace through 35k.

Dave

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Not to mention Kelvin Kiptum at WR pace through 35k.

According to the homepage of the Chicago Marathon Darkwave is on WR pace, too . (They're indicating min/mile pace, but show min/k pace)

DavePNW

Kiptum WR in 2:00:35!

1st half - 1:00:48

2nd half - 59:47

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I was watching nbc chicago coverage. It was the worst marathon broadcast ever.

I have never seen anything so bad.

They didn't show the runners.

They didn't show the distance, so we only knew the distance from the mile markers posted on the course.

They didn't know whether Kiptum was on WR pace or not.

They didn't show the chase pack of either men's or women's.

They didn't know the name of the runner arriving in 2nd (Benson Kipruto, former champion), and they didn't even show the runner in 3rd place.

They missed Ruth Chepngetich arriving in 2nd place and didn't show who arrived in 3rd place either.

They wasted 90% of the time showing incredibly idiotic stories.

Disgusting!

Regrettably there was no alternative, the Olympic channel youtube stream only worked if I set my VPN to Asia.

Re: the world record, kudos to Kelvin Kiptum, he ran mostly alone, there was one pace maker with them but it was Kiptum setting the pace.

Hassan ran 2h13 and took some pressure off of Tigst Assefa ๐Ÿ˜

So yeah, shoes are making people 10 minutes faster at the marathon.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I was watching nbc chicago coverage. It was the worst marathon broadcast ever.

Being in the US I have unfortunately seen worse. I was able to follow the chase pack by going to the Chicago Marathon website which had a leader board where I could at least see times and places of the chase packs back to 30th place.  Overall very disappointing coverage for outstanding races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mmerkle

I'm with you Flavio , wasn't a fan of the coverage but oh well. I think I'm mostly with you on the shoes too. My issue with them is more so the fact that people respond differently to them. You have "super responders" who might see a 10% improvement in economy, and others who hardly see any improvement. So it could happen that a super responder beats a non responder even though the non repsonder is actually a faster runner. I don't think the sport seeks to reward how well someone responds to a piece of technology. Another issue is the lack of data regarding how ELITES respond to the shoes. To my knowledge most of the current data is from non-elite runners.

DavePNW

Well it’s a local TV news station, not a sports network. so they really don’t know what they’re doing. You’d think for a major we could get better coverage, but I guess marathons are not so widely viewed in general. Our major is a minor in the sports world.

The level of detail on their tracker sucks too.

As a runner though, Chicago is awesome. Anyone who gets the chance should run it.

Dave

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Pushing this ahead a little.

ETA II: She did it again. Third 5K in 23:01, 15K in 1:12:11

ETA III: Found her groove. Fourth 5K in 23:16, 20K in 1:35:27

ETA IV: HM in 1:40:39

ETA V: Yep, groove. Fifth 5K in 23:10, 25K in 1:58:37. More than three minutes ahead of her split in Houston this January.

ETA VI: Hopefully just a little bump. Sixth 5K in 23:30, 30K in 2:22:07. Now hang on, the marathon starts here!

ETA VII.. Seventh 5K in 23:58, 35K in 2:46:05. Slowing down a bit, but still gaining on Houston.More than four minutes ahead.

ETA VIII: Eighth 5K in 23:56, 40K in 3:10:01. Sub 3:20 seems to be gone, but she's now more than five minutes ahead of Houston. 

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Finished in 3:20:29, bettering her time from Houston by 5:55. Looking at the first 5K split  I can't help but wonder whether that's gun time or chip time.

DavePNW

3:20:29 for dw! Nice work!

Dave