Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 575 times)

Those tests are for police or firefighters I believe. Good luck RP!

Bummer Mikkey on your injury. I have to say I think Cal would have beaten you anyways, he has been running a half marathon on every lunchbreak. You should consider cancelling Rotterdam as well and move that to some nice place somewhere else in Europe! Hope it clears soon.

DKT good luck with your marathon race!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Also, I have no doubt you will pass whatever fitness test is required for the new possible job.

I already failed once. Sometimes failure is a motivating thing. Sometimes I realize I just need a new challenge, but not a really hard one. Something simple like "do a sit up" or "run a marathon."

Mikkey I'm pretty fed up with my job, and I applied to be a police officer. I passed the written/computerized testing and it's a physical fitness test. Jump, shuttle run, sit ups, push ups, and I think a 1.5 mile run. The test is run in the order listed, and if you don't pass the test you're on they stop the test and you leave. I passed the jump, shuttle run and on the sit ups I did 27 when the minimum was 30. I was actually shocked at one or two of the people who PASSED the exam since they didn't look very fit. I felt like shit physically and emotionally after. I had a stupid day at work, came home and decided "fuck this. It is sit ups. Not a height requirement. Not a degree. fucking sit ups. It's literally physical exercise and I can get better just like running. fuck that." I emailed the people about the test and asked when I would have to pass in order to get into the police academy for Summer 2024. They said March so I got to work making my own training plan, kicked my own ass a few times and realized I am responsible to make the change I want to see. No one is going to hold my hand, and for as much as I bitched and moaned about work elsewhere the resounding message was "quit, or make a fucking change yourself" so I took my own advice and made a change. AS much as I'd like to do sit ups every single day until I can do 50 in a minute I don't think I'd be smart trying to do that. Plus, this just a step in the process. From my understanding there is a background check followed by an oral interview before getting into the academy. The "nonsensical" part to me is they have a polygraph/lie detector test. I understand telling a lie would get me disqualified. If I sit on this machine and say 'yes I did cocaine three times during the summer of 1999' and their policy is "no drug use ever" then telling the truth doesn't matter. No benefit of telling the truth. It's not a "free pass" to anything. It's just another way for them to verify everything.

After all of this, it's still possible to not pass the police academy. They say you'll be a police office once you graduate, and they don't tell you entering the academy guarantees success. You can still suck or get kicked out.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

RP - that's some shocking change of events! I wish you to achieve the goals you are searching for!

I am devastated that Mikkey broke his promise and now he will will be bitching about CIM as a cheater's course without ever trying it. Because it is legit course - you should try it first before saying a word. I am with MickJogger on what he said - I would beat you anyway - I feel absolutely great and my training goes well and I just ran a half marathon in a time I didn't ran in 6-7 years. I don't know why I feel that way, but I feel like I am back to those 5-6 years ago - I feel really fit - funny to say that as I was going to quit running just a year  ago Smile

My half marathon was fun - I was thinking and dreaming about running 6:40 pace, but I was seriously struggling for the first 5 miles and I thought it is no going to happen, I even doubted I will keep 6:50 average. But then something strange happened and I was able to run sub 6:30 pace for the next 4 miles and it felt easier than 6:40 pace I tried to keep earlier Smile I still faded for the next 4 miles to 6:45, but it was still awesome time at the end which I really didn't expect - 1:27:37. I was 3rd in my AG in a very competitive race - btw, who knows kayry from old RWOL forum, he finished first AG in my group with 1:22Tight lippedx time - he is still freaking fast.

So, I am going to change my goal for CIM. CK - could you please update my goals for CIM?

A goal - sub 2:57 (to qualify for Age World Championship in Sydney in 2024)

B goal - sub 2:58 (Moose Mug)

C goal - sub 3 (it's always nice to run sub 3 doesn't matter what age you are Smile

I ran LA marathon twice - in 2013 (that's where I ran sub 3 for the first time Smile and in 2014 I ran 2:53. It was still challenging course - a slight but steady up for the most of the course, but last 4 miles coming the ocean were awesome. I am sad they changed the course Sad I will probably come t run it just because I am the guy who keeps his promise (you hear Mikkey? Smile and just to settle down who is the faster MAN between us once and forever . I am pretty confident in that regard because if I keep doing what I am doing right now, there is 0 chance for Mikkey  But that's OK, I will be happy to see him in March and would love to see longboat too as I know him virtually for a long time and he was very supportive and encouraging to me all that time.

Weekly for period: From: 11/06/2023 To 11/12/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
        Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km  
        11/07 3 x 2 miles 800 jog (6:12, 6:13, 6:19) 9.05 14.57 01:06:45 07:23 04:35  
        11/09 with strides 13.32 21.43 01:48:55 08:11 05:05  
        11/10 Lunch Run 13.36 21.50 01:56:14 08:42 05:24  
        11/11 Afternoon Run 8.41 13.53 01:12:34 08:38 05:22  
        11/12 Morning Run 1.35 2.17 00:11:35 08:35 05:20  
        11/12 2023 Clarksburg half marathon 13.21 21.25 01:27:37 06:38 04:07  
        11/12 Morning Run 0.57 0.92 00:05:43 10:02 06:13  

Totals: Time: 07:49:23 - 🦅Imperial: 59.27 mi - Metric: 95.37 km

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cal we should have a bet on who will meet Longboat in person first, you or me 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

need2tri

, but it was still awesome time at the end which I really didn't expect - 1:27:37..

A goal - sub 2:57 (to qualify for Age World Championship in Sydney in 2024)

B goal - sub 2:58 (Moose Mug)

C goal - sub 3 (it's always nice to run sub 3 doesn't matter what age you are Smile

Only Cal can translate a 1:27 half into Sub 2:57. You are a beast. Good luck at CIM.

CalBears

Only Cal can translate a 1:27 half into Sub 2:57. You are a beast. Good luck at CIM.

Ha-ha - thanks, but I am not translating anything - it's just goals Smile.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal glad you’re back to ‘normal’ running self.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

I probably am not going to make it to sub 3 shape for a Spring marathon, so I'm facing another 12 months with no goal race in mind, which is kind of boring.  I need a challenge, but something fun, like flavio's mile goal, maybe age graded.  If this wasn't such a cordial jerk thread, I might challenge the thread to a 1 mile race off next Spring/Summer.  I would even allow keen to run a few miles to get up to speed and hit the line running.  I only just broke the 8 minute barrier this week, but I doubt you all are up for the challenge...piwi can't even break 20 for a 5k anymore...

Challenge accepted! It's been way too long since I have raced a mile. Also, there might be some intermediate goals you can set for yourself that aren't a marathon. Both with weights and with running.

Cal Maybe that was just a rust buster and now you're ready to take on CIM.

Longboat Sorry to hear about the knees. I'm glad you're enjoying life regardless though. Hoping for good news soon!

RP BORN READY! I like your no excuses attitude. Have some faith in yourself and you may just get in to the academy.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My rehab of the quad tendon tear has not gone well, I'm still not running properly. The injured left knee has not regained full range of motion yet, despite months of PT and gym work. And the right knee, which has been a problem at times, is now complaining and stiffening up, probably because it's had to compensate for the left.  I can run maybe 1/2mi / 1k at a time, then have to walk. 

At our age it seems to take forever to heal and return to normal activities. My orthopedist had me in an ankle brace for 2-3 weeks last winter and no running for a couple more weeks after that because of a torn tendon in my ankle, but with patience it eventually healed and I haven't had any issues with it since, though the frustration at not being able to run drove me up a wall. Still a vacation in NZ has got to keep you distracted.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour, 35.82 miles
                          10/12 - Hainesport 12-Hour

Good news I'm meeting Longboat tomorrow for coffee. He's in town.

Mt79 I've resorted to training for a beep test  Do you have those in America ?

mt79

mmerkle -

Piwi - I had to google beep test.  It looks they repackaged shuttle runs that we used to do for every youth sports team.  Those were used a lot as punishments for poor performance during practice.  My middle school soccer coach added a wrinkle where we would slide on our chests, sans shirt, during the shuttles when he blew a whistle.  Our crappy public school field was mostly gravel and dirt with little grass islands, fun times. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball, right?

Flavio - you are a hulking gym freak, so why are you afraid of an itsy bitsy water bottle?  

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - Excellent half time and I agree with need2tri in that it will most likely translate to a sub 2:57 for you!  I am genuinely really pleased for you that you’re getting your old fitness back and great that you’re up for LA.  I don’t think I’ll be running anymore marathons after next Spring so fingers crossed that I get to LA without getting injured again. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Sorry Cal beat you to it. Forum encounter with Longboat today, top bloke.

Resident Historian

The shirt for the occasion!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

I hope I'm not too late for Merkle, but time zones might save me here: Good luck Merkle, Dorothea, and Fishy. May you enjoy your races and their outcome.

Great shirt, Longboat. Hope your recovery is speeding up due to positive Kiwi vibes!

Hi all.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026