Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 575 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - 0 improvement this time with shockwave and extensive PT over 12 weeks. An incredibly stubborn injury. Have tried everything in the book (recovery sandals at home, intense calf stretching, strengthening calves / core, shockwave, night sock). Nothing is working. Frankly the only thing I haven't tried is just saying screw it and running on it, hoping maybe the exercise will actually shock it back into fixing itself. Going to give it a couple more weeks before I try that though. These foot injuries are so hard to deal with! Probably going to get some imaging done before end of year just to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

Damn! Sorry to hear that, I’ll have to admit that I thought shockwave did very little and wish I hadn’t spent so much money on it but there you go!  That’s interesting that your final throw of the dice is to just run on it, I couldn’t believe that I was able to run everyday for nearly 3 months without any niggles, but it was mostly all easy pace and only when I started tempos that the Achilles played up again. You do those eye watering Daniels workouts so maybe you’ll need to alter your training and accept slower times. 🤷‍♂️ Good luck anyway!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mark and Cal - may you have fun in your races!

RP - may you have fun in your pacing duties, from memory you are good at pacing.

DK -  Thanks for the advice. Positive thinking from now on, I was bouncy on my run yesterday, that felt good.

I'm gonna have that Pizza Napoletana today for lunch with açaí for dessert to guarantee maximum glory!

See you all on the other side!

I'm late, but have a great race!!!!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Adding my good luck to all racers, Mark is up first, starting in the next 10 minutes.  There is tracking here:

https://results.runningevents.co.nz/result/omaha/2023/0028

I'm very confident Cal will deliver with his training and the fact that he always delivers.

RP have fun out there - don't talk too much when she is suffering, just the odd word here and there will do it!

Flavio - This is your time.  I hope you're not pacing the hotel room right now.  Try to only run the race once!  You should be feeling confident, any other feeling isn't real.  Don't let the evil part of your brain dominate, it doesn't know what it's talking about.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:29:54 6/24

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Wellington Marathon June 23, 2024 3:29:54

Foster Park Run July 20, 2024 19:02

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Timaru Ten October 26, 2024

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Oooooh, sh&%§$! Time zones!

If you're still running, Mark, have a great finish! All the other racers - have a good night's sleep, fun on the run, and enjoy your results!

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Josh I have not tried that. What is it exactly?

Since English is not my main language I hope it's o.k. to refer you to this

Deep Friction Massage - Physiopedia (physio-pedia.com)

explanation. Cross friction massage is/can be painful, but has helped me get rid of two nagging injuries at two of the thickest tendons available - achilles and patella tendon. And I could do it on my own, which is definitely a plus. I - not a medical profesional in any sense or way - can't see why it wouldn't be worth a try on your ITB.

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Adding my good luck to all racers, Mark is up first, starting in the next 10 minutes.  There is tracking here:

https://results.runningevents.co.nz/result/omaha/2023/0028

Thanks, Steve, seems like I almost made it halfway .

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark through halfway in 38:53 in third place so on about 1:17.xx pace.  Very nice on that course.

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Finished in 1:17:22, very nice negative split.  Placings have disappeared for some reason.

Edit: They're back - second overall, must have taken someone towards the end, brilliant

2024 Races:

need2tri

Congrats Mark! That must have been fun reeling in second place person. Thanks for tracking Steve.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Mark through halfway in 38:53 in third place so on about 1:17.xx pace.  Very nice on that course.

2nd in 1:17:22 and out kicked 3rd by one second.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour, 35.82 miles
                            10/12 - Hainesport 12-Hour

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

If you're still running, Mark, have a great finish! All the other racers - have a good night's sleep, fun on the run, and enjoy your results!

Yeah, Mark and I did it!     Congrats on a great race and what must have been a satisfying second half!

Marky_Mark_17

Thanks all. Yeah was in a group of four for most of the race, 1st was a bit further ahead. Group broke up with about 5km to go and then I ended up on the better end of a sprint finish (not the first time it’s happened to me at this event!) for second. Probably worth a full RR later on. Love this event even if conditions were pretty tough out there today.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Nice sprint finish.

Steve wait....WHAT?!!?!?!? shit. Well there goes THAT idea.

My runner is getting nervous in a good way. in the "I'm afraid to try and do big shit I've said I wanted to do for so long" way. I'm going to ask her to describe the course to me. Pick out what points in the course she remembers. It is their third time running it so I'm sure there are some. For me...

fast downhill to a big right hand turn you take wide and watch layers get tossed (first CIM, and first time I'd learned this was a thing). People out watchin with bonfires smoking cigarettes in "rural/farmland" parts of California (it isn't rural.)

Drummers at the fire station on the right, street opens up and darkwave flys by on the opposite side of the road.

Left hand turn at 10k everyone will take sharp.

Kleenex at the church (don't forget they have a trash can/bag at the end) then the guy taking a piss in the grass next to a fence.

S curve most people don't cut the tangent on, long hill to the business section just before halfway (timing mats will be wrong here).  Massive exchange point for the relay. Hang a left and start wondering where the flat part is (first sub 3 attempt) while you're stuck in the pack of 2:59 runners going too fast. Pass burger king and enter resdential where there is a self-made aid station from residents.

Big rolling downhills where I saw rlk's teammate one year, then the wall at 20 (literally they build a wall) and a big sweeping LEFT hand turn after the bridge where the WolfPack girls from 2021 started pulling away. Maybe this turn is before the brige. either way...they pulled away from me here while my watch was telling me "BATTERY LOW" at mile 18. So i guess it is before 21.

Hit downtown, look for the bar giving out free drinks, hang a left at the bank (commanderkeen vomit intersection) then a right and head under the freeway looking for the guy playing the trumpet.

Look for the Capital building, wonder where the fuck the finish line is, two left turns and a sprint finish. At some point figure out what your finisher photo will be. Christ redeemer, gang signs/numerical values, watch pause, cell phone videography, fatigued runner (typically one arm crossed way over in front of the body), point to the sky, or just stop ON the finish line and pose while everyone else avoids you. I might do "get the fuck out of my way I gotta video some shit!!!!!" which looks like running and stepping on hot coals while trying to navigate to the front of a concert mosh pit.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

or just stop ON the finish line and pose while everyone else avoids you. 

Friendly tip to anyone considering doing this.  Timing mats don't work by registering when they read your chip.  They work by registering when they read and then do NOT read your chip.  Meaning that if you stand on the mat, the clock is probably still running on your race...

Good luck to you, your friend, and to Cal and DPS.  Marky_Mark  - sorry I failed to wish you good luck.  Congrats on your race; I look forward to the report.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mt79

Marky_Mark - Sorry missed wishing you good luck.  Looks like it was a great race, congrats!!

Those of you racing tomorrow, I hope you crush it.  I think we will have a new sub-3 member in a few hours, unless Flavio stays up all night optimizing his hydration operation...