Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 575 times)

CalBears

Also I’m curious, for all the racers, what’s your pace strategy going to be? 

Just as usual, first couple of miles not to run too fast, not faster than goal pace, though the first mile is really steep downhill (100 ft down). Try to find a good running rhythm within those first few miles - it always frustrates me when somebody who never ran CIM calls it an easy course. Please come and prove it, ha-ha. It's all up and down the whole 20 first miles, you should really be prepared mentally for that. The only thing that seems to be working great again is the weather - 47oF min and 61oF max - clouds - CIM is good to its runners as always Smile. Basically around mile 6, when the course turns left, if I find my rhythm, it should be fine - right after half mark, around mile 14 is a crucial point , if I don't give up the pace or even gain some, then it's going to be great, if not, then I am out of luck. I ran it 10 times by now, usually have a hunch how it will go at the end by mile 14-15.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ca/folsom/KCAFOLSO148

Click on hourly if you REALLY want some detail on race day. Dew Point and Temp calculations can be made to account for 'sand bagging." 

About as close to the starting point of the race as you can get. Race starts at Folsom Auburn Blvd and Folsom Lake Crossing. Run to Oak Avenue and follow it to Sunrise.

50-55F for race day.

Typically it is low 40s.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ca/folsom/KCAFOLSO148

Click on hourly if you REALLY want some detail on race day. Dew Point and Temp calculations can be made to account for 'sand bagging." 

About as close to the starting point of the race as you can get. Race starts at Folsom Auburn Blvd and Folsom Lake Crossing. Run to Oak Avenue and follow it to Sunrise.

50-55F for race day.

Typically it is low 40s.

50-55 and no sun? I will take it instead of mid 40s with sun. Actually, I ran CIM last 11 years - it was cold at the start maybe 3-4 times, all the other days were definitely in high 40s, low-mid 50s and often with a sun. So, the conditions this year, if no sun, are pretty good - we should not even talk about it (I know, I know - you are trying to find an excuse for bad performance already 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Who's going to tell Cal he already broke mikkey so there's no need to sledge anymore...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:29:54 6/24

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Wellington Marathon June 23, 2024 3:29:54

Foster Park Run July 20, 2024 19:02

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Timaru Ten October 26, 2024

CalBears

Who's going to tell Cal he already broke mikkey so there's no need to sledge anymore...

Yeah, that was expectedly easy victory 

shouldbedeleted

Mark and Cal - may you have fun in your races!

RP - may you have fun in your pacing duties, from memory you are good at pacing.

DK -  Thanks for the advice. Positive thinking from now on, I was bouncy on my run yesterday, that felt good.

I'm gonna have that Pizza Napoletana today for lunch with açaí for dessert to guarantee maximum glory!

See you all on the other side!

need2tri

Flavio, Mark, Cal and RP, Dps.... Good luck this weekend! May you all achieve your goals and have fun.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - 0 improvement this time with shockwave and extensive PT over 12 weeks. An incredibly stubborn injury. Have tried everything in the book (recovery sandals at home, intense calf stretching, strengthening calves / core, shockwave, night sock). Nothing is working. Frankly the only thing I haven't tried is just saying screw it and running on it, hoping maybe the exercise will actually shock it back into fixing itself. Going to give it a couple more weeks before I try that though. These foot injuries are so hard to deal with! Probably going to get some imaging done before end of year just to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

BEST OF LUCK TO THE RACERS, especially CIM! It looks like a perfect forecast for you guys (as always). I'm sad I couldn't make it this year, would have loved to give it a go. But I'm glad my bib is being used by someone here.

Oh and ETA to Flavio - you are now chief taper complainer! Is there anybody that actually feels good during their MP tune up workouts in the taper? Frankly if you do, you've blown it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mark and Cal - may you have fun in your races!

RP - may you have fun in your pacing duties, from memory you are good at pacing.

DK -  Thanks for the advice. Positive thinking from now on, I was bouncy on my run yesterday, that felt good.

I'm gonna have that Pizza Napoletana today for lunch with açaí for dessert to guarantee maximum glory!

See you all on the other side!

Hopefully I do well at controlling my pace.  It’s been challenging this week, and I’m REALLY hoping my runner is ready to do great things.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

50-55 and no sun? I will take it instead of mid 40s with sun. Actually, I ran CIM last 11 years - it was cold at the start maybe 3-4 times, all the other days were definitely in high 40s, low-mid 50s and often with a sun. So, the conditions this year, if no sun, are pretty good - we should not even talk about it (I know, I know - you are trying to find an excuse for bad performance already 

Well yeah. CIM is no Boston. Boston has weather about the same as CIM in my experience.  It just has that massive downhill after mile 21 that gifts you a PR if you’ve done your work.

VDOT 53.37 

Fishyone

Jmac- sorry to hear your recovery has been so slow! I was really hoping the time off would have worked wonders and you'd be back at by this point.  I guess that's the tough part about being a "thoroughbred" ....Mere plow-horses like me can just plug along at our mortal paces  Hope you keep checking in and posting.

To the runners- Flavio, Cal, Mark, RP (I probably missed someone) run fast and take chances.  To quote Reese Bobby "If you ain't first... your last"  Go get them!! 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mikkey - 0 improvement this time with shockwave and extensive PT over 12 weeks. An incredibly stubborn injury. Have tried everything in the book (recovery sandals at home, intense calf stretching, strengthening calves / core, shockwave, night sock). Nothing is working. Frankly the only thing I haven't tried is just saying screw it and running on it, hoping maybe the exercise will actually shock it back into fixing itself. Going to give it a couple more weeks before I try that though. These foot injuries are so hard to deal with! Probably going to get some imaging done before end of year just to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

YES! LET THE HATE FLOW! It's you (the entire body) vs the foot. One of you will be the victor. I had something similar for my ankle back in the 2020 era. Hurt like a bitch at 4 miles so I'd quit until one day I ran 4 miles one way and found the pain went away.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Best of luck to our pacer and all of our racers this weekend!

JMac - I absolutely hate for you that you haven't seen any progress and hope that makes a sudden turnaround.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

August 31 - Brookhaven 5k

October 13 - Prairie Fire Half

November 2  - Crossroads Marathon

Marky_Mark_17

Flávio, Cal, RP - wishing you all the best out there tomorrow. Have fun!

Tomorrow’s wind looks like it might be joined by some rain. TBH that’s actually good as it’ll cool things down a bit.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Valencia shows clear blue skies and up to 18C good luck Flavio - you have trained in this weather!

RP and Cal - go big so we won’t hear Mikkey saying he would have beaten you Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!