Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

mmerkle

I’m actually waiting for them to make runners fill cups

themselves.   Seriously. It’s the only other thing they could cut out except for maybe medals. I had a cup I considered bringing with me but didn’t think I’d be able to fill it except for pouring from one cup to another.

This was the case at the 2021 Baltimore marathon. And there were no cups, you had to bring your own bottle. I can't tell if that's still the case.

Dave You've been on a rampage. Love it.

dw Congrats on being top masters female at the 15k. Nice to hear the balance issues improved over the last year.

dk Nice second wind. I wonder if that mile race had your muscles a bit tired. When I get a calf cramp, usually doing some walking the next day or two helps loosen it up some.

jblackjr Doing a long run after donating blood sounds brutal. Maybe next time, take an extra day or two off first. And hopefully your daughters ankle heals soon enough to still be able to run most of the outdoor season. When people are that young, sometimes they can bounce back really quickly.

Dad on the run.

jblack - Yep, that all points to a rough run.  When I donate blood I'll be very careful about water intake and be prepared to scale back my next run.  I've been lucky so far not to have a big crash and burn - I save those for other days.

Yes it really does. I was beating myself up, especially my last 1.2 miles as it wanted me to run a 9:50 which is usually a fairly easy pace for me to hold and I just couldn't do it. I found myself walking that last 1.2 miles as much as I was running and ended that stretch at like an 11:05 m/m.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

jblackjr Doing a long run after donating blood sounds brutal. Maybe next time, take an extra day or two off first. And hopefully your daughters ankle heals soon enough to still be able to run most of the outdoor season. When people are that young, sometimes they can bounce back really quickly.

yea, it never really occurred to me that it was a bad idea. The thought that giving blood would have a negative impact on me never even crossed my mind until after I got home, felt like garbage and my wife was like "if I had thought about it soon I wouldn't have let you run" she is a nurse so I tend to listen to her advice.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

DavePNW

Also, the guy who came third in my first park run was pushing a pram...I saw their photos on Facebook for Saturday and saw him pushing his pram again - he ran 18:32 this time!  Faster than my PR, while pushing a pram.

That’s crazy! I remember running a 5k seeing a guy pushing a DOUBLE-stroller. He was lined up near the front, and I’m thinking you better get out of the way buddy. Instead he takes off ahead of me, and only later I find out he was actually running the 10k that started at the same time. I didn’t see his finish time, but figure <40 min 10k pushing two kids.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

5k mugs - Oy. Here I was thinking that a marathon moose mug may well be outside of my abilities and someone comes up with something even harder to do!

Steve - A possible deliberate positive split? Why not specifically aiming for a negative split? To my mind there's just so much more risk in deliberately going out too fast.

Dave - Stellar job snagging that PR! You've had a pretty killer year.

DWave - I'm glad you're happy with how that tune-up went, but your track situation truly sucks.

Flavio - Snap marathon when you're fit? DO IT. A local elite ultra runner (Camille Herron) who did just such a thing. Trained until she felt super fit, asked "what races are coming up?" and jumped in one and walked away with a world record for her trouble. Which may not have happened if she had just aimed for one given race and potentially overtrained, gotten injured, or raced before hitting peak fitness.

I think I'm there with you both when it comes to sensitivity to solar and to handling things better-than-average in cold. Perhaps that body weight-to-surface-area ratio that's unfavorable for summer is an asset in fall/winter.
            Also: Look into the marathon shorts/speed shorts from SOAR. They have some nifty pockets in the back for holding 4x gels (larger ones like SiS or Styrkr work best) and they're held in a way that keeps them at a good temperature/consistency rather than freezing while flopping around on a weird external pocket.

Strength training: I need to pick your brain a bit here. At what level would you consider backing off or otherwise just going into a holding pattern regarding weights? I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 week 6 now and noticed that weights are certainly getting more substantial to me. I wouldn't be surprised if I failed my first set on Friday (OHP). Squats are getting a tough now, BP is ok, DL and rows are the same.
            There has to be a point at which strength training will start interfering with running, but how do I determine that? By how stressful the loads are? Percentage of body weight? By the number of women at the gym who try introducing themselves to me?

ETA: I have discovered the candlestick exercise. Wow, these are tough, and I have a difficult time engaging my whole transverse abdominus instead of just the rectus abdominus.

DKT - Look at you, holding back on us and casually dropping a fast mile!

JBlack - Flavio was nice enough to craft this for us if you want to use it to easily drop your weeklies into the thread: https://strava-weekly.herokuapp.com/

CFarr - Hasn't been around lately but he dropped a 3:27 marathon at Kiawah Island and landed 2nd in his AG.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Marky_Mark_17

I am actually considering pacing one of my 6 year old’s 2k races next year with the baby in the pram. Not sure I’d be bold enough to attempt those sorts of speeds though 😂

jblack - yeah when you give blood they actually do take enough for it to materially impact running performance. I believe it’s typically about a month for the red blood cell count to get back up to the same level.

Didn’t post my weekly, mostly just post race recovery but came down with a cold on Sat so took Sun and today off. Never ideal getting sick but I will happily take the timing of this one, being a week after the race and two weeks before Xmas.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - A possible deliberate positive split? Why not specifically aiming for a negative split? To my mind there's just so much more risk in deliberately going out too fast.

He did say it's the most high risk option and there's the chance I could surprise myself and hold on to run an even split...but he also said he's tried it and set 2 HM PRs during marathons but it hasn't quite worked - he tried to go sub 2:10 at Gold Coast this year but blew out to 2:14.  I didn't seriously consider that option, if I nailed a couple of marathons in a row and decided to go all out for sub 3, then maybe but even then I'd try for even splits.  Given my B goal is to survive the race without cramp that it makes me lose control of my bladder, it may be too soon to be going high risk.  A goal is BQ.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

How about instead of a MUG you get something cool like a beer can?

5k beer can

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

+1...IDK who in their right mind would recommend that! Unless there's something specific about the course profile, e.g. a significantly tougher 2nd half.

There was a woman who used to post on the forums, and had something of an intentional positive split strategy. She BQ'd every marathon she ran, but the splits were almost always ugly. She had no regrets. Her line was "why would you run slow when your body wants to run fast, then try to run fast when your body wants to run slow?" Hard to argue! Except holy shit - for those of us who have been in death march mode in the final miles of a marathon (which is most of us who have run them) - it is the worst thing you can experience as a runner.

Dave

Steve, Sally Gibbs has the Tauranga Parkrun age graded best at over 97 %. She lives in Whanganui now. I believe she ran a women's 60-65 age best recently for a 10k in 37 mins.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve, Sally Gibbs has the Tauranga Parkrun age graded best at over 97 %. She lives in Whanganui now. I believe she ran a women's 60-65 age best recently for a 10k in 37 mins.

Wow, does she compete internationally?  If those percentages are accurate, you'd think she'd be on the podium at least.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve yeah she's been doing well for a few years and has a current world 5000m 55 age group record.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

She also has (or at least had) the 55-60 world AG 10k record... I was at the meet where she set it. Bit of a legend tbh.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

Cal
                              Also stop going to this little county fair that is CIM, instead go to the professional race in Valencia.
                              The aid stations in Valencia were like 200m long, I'm not exaggerating. And they were giving you 300ml water bottles or roughly 10oz or whatever silly unit the US uses.
                              Very easy to drink because it's a bottle, and the bottle is small enough that you don't waste much of it.

It still surprises me that they are not improving from year to year. I loved CIM for many years for their simplicity and great organization. The race cost was $89-$99 for a few first years I was running it - up to 2017-2018. But now when they doubled the price, they simultaneously eliminated gear pickup at the start, which I consider ridiculous. And the water line is like 20-30 people long !!!! One side of the road, except the first two water stations. This is ridiculous for the race of 9000 runners, plenty of whom are pretty fast. I am getting really frustrated with this - I feel I am starting to fall out of love with CIM

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

DavePNW I feel like this is a time to play ‘would you rather’ and ultimately Lord Vader himself (CommanderKeen) would ultimately win, but I’d rather death march home than poop in my shorts on a run.

cal same and I remind myself it take a lot of volunteers to make the event happen.  The finish area seemed to be REALLY packed this year to me. I guess I missed the notification of how popular it had become, or maybe it was just the difference in showing up 45 minutes later.  I really hope it can come back to the pre-Covid race we loved.  Even if Starting Line bag drop was $20 I’m sure it would be popular.  At least the medals don’t suck. Everyone is going to expect a backpack now too.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22