Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Andy - The race predictor is based on an average of recent runs so it's likely that that firmware update broke it. Not that it was right the first time anyway. Know this: Garmin software sucks donkeys

Also it's hilarious that it told you to do yoga hahaha, excellent. I have just disabled all that crap including the touch screen/step counter, all of it.

I think it's also a function of Garmin's value for your VO2Max.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fishyone

Thanks for the kind words!  A few points:

a) I've already served - I moderated what was then known as the 3:20 thread back in 2018.

b) I've always seen the thread dictator role as starting the new thread, maintaining the race chart, and calling people out if the thread gets too out of hand.  To that third point, my moderation style is very laissez-faire - where other people see idiocy and rudeness, I see free-flowing unfettered discussion.

c) due to other obligations, I'm mostly on this thread on weekends, so there would be a lag in updating the first page of the thread if I was thread dictator.

With all those caveats, I'll do it if we can't find anyone else.

I like JoshWs suggestion for a call to volunteers. If no volunteers come forward I'll submit my points for pondering and reflection AKA Dwave:

a) I've never served and though willing can't guarantee a smooth/seamless experience. I still can't figure out how to post pictures/memes consistently and may not even be able to perform the basic functions of the dictator role (but that doesn't stop most politicians from getting elected ...so what the hell)

b) I'm 100% aligned with DW on the role of the dictator.  I may even see myself as more laissez-faire than DW.  I've always gone by the motto "take what's valuable to you and ignore the rest." I wouldn't be a good choice for calling people out.  My style would be to ignore or possible try to steer the thread in a different direction.

c) As I'm sure you've noticed I tend to get more active later in my training cycle and closer to a race. My posting mirrors my fitness, motivation and general running enthusiasm at the moment. Given one of my 2023 goals was to "post more and be more active" I think I've made strides for consistency there but it is not a finished product.

Maybe a secret ballot with "votes" send via PM directly to the current Commander? It would be equally important to know if someone is adamantly opposed to serving in the role so they don't find out that they've been elected

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

I think it's also a function of Garmin's value for your VO2Max.

After setting a new Marathon PR and having what I considered a really solid training block my garmin lowered my VO2 max by a point 

I do find the calculators (McMillan, Tinman etc) fairly good at predicting so I've pretty much ignored my garmin on most stuff.  Interesting that HRV seems to be very accurate when it comes to informing me when I'm sick and/or getting poor sleep.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I find it that the thread *self moderates* when it starts going in a rowdy direction.

How much can we relax the requirements for being thread boss?

For instance, I couldn't care less about that list of races on the front page.

Can we simplify it so that it's just start the thread and maybe save some space for the pearls section (funny comments etc)?

Now this post is very smart, anybody who answers we can't simplify it is an automatic candidate for thread boss 😁

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

DavePNW

I’m a relative newcomer so don’t have a feel for the history.

Huh. To me this would be basically the only requirement. Does not matter if the owner can’t post pictures or break up fights; any of the participants can do that. Since this is in a public forum, no one can be assigned as an official admin anyway (i.e. to censor posts or kick people out). I like the race thread at least for main goal races, because I honestly forget what races people are doing. And sometimes I tune out for stretches but want to tune back in to see a result/report. So to maintain this, it just needs to be someone who reads/posts/participates consistently enough to see when people post new race plans or changes to existing ones. But of course if no one volunteers to do that, so be it.

Dave

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

You could have finished your year in review in the time you spent complaining πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I'm kidding of course, I just felt like writing one to showboat just how much extra time I have 😈

RP - Cool, I can't wait to hear the stories about RP the Policeman!

Andy - The race predictor is based on an average of recent runs so it's likely that that firmware update broke it. Not that it was right the first time anyway. Know this: Garmin software sucks donkeys

Also it's hilarious that it told you to do yoga hahaha, excellent. I have just disabled all that crap including the touch screen/step counter, all of it.

Based on RP's Boston race report(s), I wouldn't want to attempt to read his year in review. It may crash the site.

I could see the race predictor changing during summer when it is super hot and my pace/performance has to slow down but the recent crashing of the predicted times has to be a flaw in their software update. As WC mentioned, it is tied to Vo2 max but my Vo2 has been extremely consistent during this time, even improving a micro amount.

I do really like some of the software features like the training status and the training load scores, which translate to acute and chronic loads graphed over time. The Vo2 max comes with the caveat that it is just a ballpark estimate but at least it is consistent to see fitness improvements and has been consistent with multiple watches. The sleep tracking has been a nice to have but it hasn't changed my habits and the watch tells me all the time that I didn't get enough REM. It does give me a bad sleep score when it can tell I had been drinking the night before   They should probably come out with a feature that gives you a hangover score...

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Huh. To me this would be basically the only requirement. Does not matter if the owner can’t post pictures or break up fights; any of the participants can do that. Since this is in a public forum, no one can be assigned as an official admin anyway (i.e. to censor posts or kick people out). I like the race thread at least for main goal races, because I honestly forget what races people are doing. And sometimes I tune out for stretches but want to tune back in to see a result/report. So to maintain this, it just needs to be someone who reads/posts/participates consistently enough to see when people post new race plans or changes to existing ones. But of course if no one volunteers to do that, so be it.

I agree with Dave, I like the list of everyone's upcoming races and results. As a newbie to the thread this year, having my races listed helped make me feel more welcome and that everyone's goals and accomplishments were all the same importance. I cannot think of any other responsibilities of the thread leader so maybe there isn't a need for one but just someone who will volunteer to kick off the 2024 thread and update the race list. What are the specific responsibilities?

I remember in my fraternity in college, every year we would have such a hard time selecting a new president. Not because we had so many people wanting the job but because everyone nominated would immediately turn it down because no one wanted to deal with all the bullshit from 60 guys just to get free dues for a year. I don't really see that as the case here. Either that or Keen has been the most laid-back dictator the world has ever seen. No chance he would survive in North Korea...

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I would definitely want the race list maintained, there are enough posters so that it's hard to remember every race.  It's helpful when it's in a signature too.  If I see someone crushing training it's useful to have a quick look on the front page rather than ask them to repeat where they are in the cycle and which race it is.  The one thing I'd say from my experience as Thread Overlord is that it's easy to miss a request to add a race/result to the front page, so if they were sent in DM's it would be much easier.

As far as sorting out arguments, I don't see a need for one person to be doing that, especially when there's no moderation power (not that I'd want the overlord to have banning rights).  So all it is is starting a thread and updating the table with the optional extra of overriding goals if you think they're soft...

Fishy seems like a good nomination to me, given darkwave did it quite recently and Fishy meets the criteria of consistently crushing training and races lately.

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CalBears

2.5 weeks of no running. Went for a run finally. Weather was amazing. Two amazing songs in a row in my earphones. Elation... Goosebumps all over my body... State of complete happiness... 4 minutes in a run - cramps in my right calf. The end...

But those 4 minutes were all I needed - thanks to whoever it is up there for those 4 minutes...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

I'm good with Fishy.

Also, agree with the suggestion that we PM races for the table. They can get buried in the thread otherwise.

Cal - those are the best runs, sometimes.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Dad on the run.

So I had a 5 mile run today. It was suppose to be a recovery run with a suggested pace of no faster than 10:45m/m. I decided to just run, I ran the entire 5 miles without ever looking at my watch, which is something very hard for me to do. I finished the 5 miles with an average of 9:48m/m and still felt like I had a lot left in me.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I find it that the thread *self moderates* when it starts going in a rowdy direction.

How much can we relax the requirements for being thread boss?

Can we simplify it so that it's just start the thread and maybe save some space for the pearls section (funny comments etc)?

Now this post is very smart, anybody who answers we can't simplify it is an automatic candidate for thread boss 😁

You should run the thread.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Another week in the bag, bit of summer misery involved. This summer was supposed to allegedly be hot and dry due to El Nino conditions, but so far it seems suspiciously like the usual humid mess.  Lots of hills also.

Weekly for period: From: 18/12/2023 To 24/12/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                            Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                            in m
                            18/12 That run where a wine rack lay discarded by the road 5.19 8.35 00:37:51 07:18 04:32 141
                            19/12 That run where we’ve reached the “singlet optional” part of the running year 9.34 15.03 01:07:22 07:13 04:29 175
                            20/12 That run with the rare December fog 🌫️ 10.70 17.22 01:09:37 06:30 04:03 78
                            21/12 That run with some more hills, and a little more fog 10.60 17.06 01:14:39 07:03 04:23 179
                            22/12 That run where I’m glad it wasn’t a workout day 3.38 5.44 00:25:13 07:28 04:38 41
                            23/12 That run with the most humid suckage of summer thus far 10.72 17.25 01:07:17 06:17 03:54 18
                            24/12 That run with the devil’s armpit 13.09 21.05 01:35:02 07:16 04:31 210

Totals: Time: 07:17:01 - πŸ¦…Imperial: 63.02 mi - Metric: 101.40 km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mt79

Not much to update here.  I ran tonight for the 1st time in 10 days since I re-aggravated the calf.  It felt fine.  I'm going to ease back into things.  I've been eating healthy-ish and walking a lot.  I think my last running update was mid-November before I got hurt.  Since then I've dropped 6 lbs from 179 to 173 and I've started lifting weights sporadically.  I need to create a lifting schedule and decide what kinds of lifting I can and can't do and what type of setup I need to do them.

In order to have something to work towards, I'm targeting a few 5k / 1Mile times.  These won't be races unless there is a race that happens to line up, but just runs.  My goals are:

Jan 31 - Sub 22 5k / Sub 6 mile

Feb 29 - Sub 21:15 5k / Sub 5:40 mile

Mar 31 - Sub 20:30 5k / Sub 5:20 mile

No point in going beyond that until I see how the calf is faring and how the Jan goal time turns out.  I still don't want to go too hard on runs until I lose another 10-15 lbs, so that might prevent me from hitting the goal times.  If health holds, still plan to do a serious mile effort in May/June and I'll figure out a competition for all of us to compete.

Looking forward to being on the 2024 thread from the start!

Happy holidays!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

mt - Hopefully that calf comes right soon.  You're doing well to lose weight while having an injury.

jblack - I should probably run to effort and completely ignore the watch on easy and recovery days, but I do use it to make sure I'm going slow enough.  You're obviously in decent shape if you're so much quicker than what you thought, with gas in the tank.

me - No hill repeats this week, and a slow build into the week before a big weekend.  Pretty warm on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday (finally), about 28-30C when I ran.  All easy runs but I probably didn't up my fluid intake enough on Wednesday night, so Thursday morning was a bit miserable due to dehydration.

Saturday was 98% humidity, but only 20C - the workout went great but I can't remember ever being so drenched.

Merry Christmas everyone!  Just a short recovery run for me on Christmas morning.

Weekly for period: From: 18/12/2023 To 24/12/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                                Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in m
                                18/12 Warm up 0.33 0.54 00:03:03 09:15 05:39 0
                                18/12 Easy med long 8.96 14.41 01:15:24 08:25 05:14 27
                                20/12 Warm up 0.34 0.54 00:03:09 09:16 05:50 0
                                20/12 Easy hour 7.49 12.05 01:02:20 08:19 05:10 8
                                21/12 Warm up 0.34 0.54 00:03:02 08:55 05:37 0
                                21/12 Easy hour 7.48 12.04 01:03:08 08:26 05:15 24
                                21/12 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:05 09:04 05:36 0
                                21/12 Thursday Double 3.77 6.06 00:31:38 08:23 05:13 12
                                22/12 Warm up 0.33 0.53 00:03:03 09:15 05:45 0
                                22/12 Friday Strides - 6 x 15 seconds 5.03 8.09 00:42:15 08:24 05:13 17
                                23/12 Warm up 0.32 0.52 00:03:05 09:38 05:56 0
                                23/12 30 mins AeT into 3 x 60 seconds, 3 x 30 seconds hard 10.23 16.46 01:18:55 07:43 04:48 11
                                24/12 Warm up 0.35 0.56 00:03:08 08:57 05:36 0
                                24/12 Easy Sunday 14.98 24.10 02:05:23 08:22 05:12 29

Totals: Time: 08:20:38 - πŸ¦…Imperial: 60.29 mi - Metric: 97.00 km

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024