Help - I have "man-calves" :-) (Read 1255 times)

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Any suggestions on lower body exercises to slim the calf muscles? DH (who has super skinny legs) and I joke about them and coined the expression in my subject, but I'm a bit self-conscious of them. The rest of me is pretty slender and running has definitely toned my legs - but I feel out of balance, like I'm lugging two turkey drumsticks along nonetheless. As a former gym rat, I know that too much weight training seems to make them even larger and my quads get out of control. Any thoughts?
    ~ Fly ~
    Only as much as I dream can I be.
    veggies on the run
      Um, if that's you in the picture, you ain't got nothing to worry about in my book.
        Personally, I think having large bulging calves and quads from running is a Badge of Honor.... I have always had slim legs, and I love the look of my every increasing muscular legs! Smile Runner's legs are Super Sexy..... Just Say'in... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I'll trade you. I'm a man with "girl-calves" and I'm always suffering injuries from my lack of lower leg strength.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Aww - thanks guys. dnephin - Blush Yep. That's me. DH took the pic less than a year ago trying to be "artsy." Guess I'd better start focusing on the positive. Thanks for the boost. cheffy - you know, yer darn tootin right. I don't think of them as a product of my running, but I suppose they are. So badge of honor it is. Many thanks. By the way your profile pic is lovely!
            ~ Fly ~
            veggies on the run

I'll trade you. I'm a man with "girl-calves" and I'm always suffering injuries from my lack of lower leg strength.
              Smile Oh dear. I have to chuckle because that's what my DH is always saying - "I wish I had your calves." His have NO meat on them whatsoever and mine are like pot roasts in comparison. I wish I could give at least part of them away. Still, I would've thought beefing them up would be easier than the other way around. I'm sorry about the injuries. I suffered a torn soleus muscle last year and that was awful and took forever to heal.
              ~ Fly ~
              veggies on the run
                Um, if that's you in the picture, you ain't got nothing to worry about in my book.
                Right on. Those calves don't look like man calves to me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

JakeKnight

Right on. Those calves don't look like man calves to me.
                  Yup. What Bonkin said. Those look like pretty decent calves to me. Athletic, sure. But hey ... you're an athlete. Comes with the territory. -------------- Oh - if Trent shows up in this thread with advice about slimming your calves, you should probably ignore him. Trust me on this.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

To shrink your calves, run more hills. And what JK said.
                    JakeKnight

To shrink your calves, run more hills. And what JK said.
                      Trent is like something out of Faustian nightmare today. Listen to him at your peril. He has 3-man calves.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Listen to him at your peril. He has 3-man calves.
                        He doesn't have calves, he has steers.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

He doesn't have calves, he has steers.
                          Cute. Big grin

Michelle

like I'm lugging two turkey drumsticks along
                            I don't see man calves or turkey legs when I look at your picture. I think you look great. Smile

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Big, muscular calves are good--they de-emphasize my stupid cankles. Black eye

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Can I have your calves? All the running I do, all the hills I do, I have wussy calves.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7