Holy shoe conundrum Batman! (Read 1024 times)

JML

I have a question about shoes.  I am running the National Half on Saturday and my usual careful race gear planning has been thrown for a loop.  I currently have two pairs of New Balance 850s in rotation.  One pair has 328 miles on them and the other has 94 miles.  It was my plan to use the 94 mile pair for the race but they give me blisters on the inside of my left heal.  I ran my final 8 miler over the weekend on the 328 mile shoes and they seemed OK but they definitely provide less support than the 94 mile pair.  If you were in my shoes (no pun intended) what would you do:

1 – Run in the 328 mile shoes and hope that they see me through the race

2 – Put some body glide on my foot and run in the 94 mile shoes

3 – Possibly break the nothing new on race day rule and take a brand new pair of 850s that I bought at the New Balance closeout sale out for a spin between now and Saturday and then use them for the race.

Thanks

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

MrH

Don't wear a pair which gives you blisters.

328 miles isn't a lot of wear.

Don't over think it. 

Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Slo

Don't wear a pair which gives you blisters.

328 miles isn't a lot of wear.

Don't over think it. 

Smile

+1

Yep, no question here.

The shirtless wonder

I recently got a pair of my normal trainers (Mizuno Wave Precision) and I got terrible blisters from them.  It's the exact same model and size I always buy but this pair just didn't work for me.  I was surprised but the running store I bought them from exchanged them for me.  The new pair was fine.

Don't run in shoes that give you blisters!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd also go with choice#1 (wear the proven 300mi shoes).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

oly

300 + no question!

JML

You all confirm what my gut is telling me and I will go with the known performer.  Thanks to all for your advice.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Strikes me as strange that a different pair of the same shoe isn't working for you, although it might just be a bad pair.  Is the new pair laced the same way, have you been wearing similar socks, and doing runs of comparable distance?

If all of these are about equal, you'll definitely want to go with the older pair.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

JML

Strikes me as strange that a different pair of the same shoe isn't working for you, although it might just be a bad pair.  Is the new pair laced the same way, have you been wearing similar socks, and doing runs of comparable distance?

If all of these are about equal, you'll definitely want to go with the older pair.

I agree with you.  They are laced the same way and have both been put to the test on a variety of runs using the same socks.  One pair feels like an old friend and one pair bites my foot.  Maybe the blister causing pair was made on the day after the New Balance Holiday party....

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

BTW, I know someone who has recently had this same experience -- annoying to have a second set of the same shoes be uncomfortable.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'd try putting the insoles from the 94 mile pair into the older pair. But I do weird things like that.

JML

I'd try putting the insoles from the 94 mile pair into the older pair. But I do weird things like that.

You know.....my taper induced restlessness caused me to think the same thing but I opted to stay away from this sort of Frankenshoe idea.  Instead....I have decided to focus on the weather forecast for race day.  Averaging the forecasts from three different websites leads me to believe that it could be cold....or rainy....or perhaps snow.  Joy.

+1 if they're removable

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

manufacturing tolerances can explain why two pair of the same style and year can fit differently.

+1 use the 300+

post race - +1 on swap the innersoles. Could make a difference. I have a pair of END OTG's that were tight along the upper part of the foot until I removed the innersole completely then they fit great.

bob e v
                              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

MrH

I'm disappointed that no-one has suggested, yet, that you go barefoot.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.