Early shoe retirement? (Read 1205 times)

nextyearcubs

Ever have a pair of shoes wear out early?  I run in Brooks Beast, and my last three pairs all lasted 400 miles, at which point I retired them before they really started to hurt.  With this last pair, though, I have 270 miles or so, and wearing them on my run tonight, they just felt shot.  My right foot in particular, it felt like there was no arch support and the arch was really hurting, so much that I cut the run short at just under 6 miles.  It pretty much hurt from when I left the house, but when I got back, the pain went away, even when  walking.

I'm hoping this pair is just worn out, but I wonder, have you ever had a pair wear significantly earlier than others, even when they're the same model?

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

ymmv

Looking at your equipment log, are they a 2007 model?

Some people believe that running shoes lose their cushioning with age, even if they have never been worn.

Jill_B

I fly.

Every once in a while when I've been in the same model for a while I notice the same thing - I usually get 300 miles, but on my last pair of Asics I noticed they weren't feeling up to par earlier.  So I'm trying a new brand.  I don't know if it's because they are older or because my feet got used to them or why it happened.

Bring it on.

I run almost exclusively in NB 1062 (and will continue to do so until the are no longer available)......

I have 4 pairs right now -- my first pair has about 530 miles on them, but I still run 3 mile recovery runs in them.......BUT, I have a second pair that have abut 325 or so miles and then look and feel just like the first pair that has 500+ miles......so - I'm with you --- why do the same shoes have  the same wear on them and one pair has 200 miles more then the others???

This stuff is a mystery to me sometimes....

BUT -- I know my wife will tell me I have a shoe fetish when I decide to by pair #5 (like probably next week)....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Menace to Sobriety

Could be a couple of reasons, at least.

1. If its a new model, they may be using greener, or recycled materials. My shoe guru says he's had several customers mention that they seem to break down faster.

2. Heat/sweat. My shoes get much wetter in in the heat and humidity. I'm a heavy sweater, and sometimes will saturate my shoes in as little as 45-50 minutes in the muggy part of the summer. In the cooler months, it may take twice this long, if I even go that far. I would guess that increased exposure to moisture would accelerate any breakdown.

I doubt whether they actually break down with age, without wear, in as little as 2 years unless stored in some very extreme conditions, high heat, UV exposure, moisture, mildew, etc. I worked in the plastics industry for over 24 years dealing with foams, elastics and other plastics and this doesn't seem likely.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

mikeymike

Maybe your foot and/or gait has changed and that's just not the right shoe for you anymore.

Runners run

nextyearcubs

Yeah, its a 2007/2008 model.  I like these shoes so I bought a few closeout pairs.  I've heard that they can break down, but these aren't the Bio-MoGo soles that break down in 20 years.   I wouldn't think a year in a shoe box with dessicant packs makes a difference, I would imagine the conditions in the container ship they come over from China are much worse than in a shoe store or my closet.

I wore these for my first marathon when they had very low miles (35?) and then they sat while another pair was worn.  I don't know if letting them sit after they have been worn would make a difference, but I imagine it could.

Maybe my gait has changed, my wife seems to think so, I first started wearing Motion Control when I weighed 215 and ran 10 miles a week or so, now I'm 180 and run much more.  I have a new pair of Beasts in my closet that I will try this weekend and if that doesn't work, its off the shoe store.

And I noticed last night that my work boots felt pretty wore out as well, maybe I'm looking to hard at it, but a new pair wouldn't hurt.

The Biomogo is not the issue. I just retired a pair of Brooks Ghost (sans the Bio) at a little under 300. My Brooks Launch (mo bio), however, are close to 300 as well and they feel as responsive as ever.
                  xor

I have had this happen, with Brooks shoes too.  Adrenalines usually last me 400-500 miles, but I had one pair give it up at 300.  I just figure that for some reason I did 300 harder miles (worse surfaces, maybe?  Or my gait was different because I was compensating for some kind of ache/pain and didn't know it?), but maybe I had a lemon pair.

The first Brooks shoe that went to BioMoGo was the Trance.  I got 500 miles out of them pre-MoGo, and I get 500ish out of them with the MoGo.  So I don't think that's it.  Plus I don't think there's anything green in a Beast yet.

In reading this post it seems that I am not as attuned to when shoes wear out.  I generally change them when my feet or toes are hanging out; generally between 800-1500 miles.  Is there anything I should be looking for to determine when they really wear out?

Florida

Is there anything I should be looking for to determine when they really wear out?

Achey-ness is what I pay attention to.  My experience is similar to other posters.  300 miles is my usual target based on perceived achey-ness.  I've had a particular shoe (New Balance 837/838) go less (Achilles pain in particular) so I don't run in those anymore but continue to run in NB brand as I like their overall feel.  Sacony, too.

she runs like a girl

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard tha storing your running shoes in a cool place helps them keep longer. I'm not sure why or if it's even true but if it is it would make sense why nmy summer shoes never last as long as the ones I'm using in the winter.

Also, are you alternating shoes? sometimes you get a little more life out of shoes if you give them an extra day to decompress and dry properly.

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Also, are you alternating shoes? sometimes you get a little more life out of shoes if you give them an extra day to decompress and dry properly.

Kimmi --I cant say for sure on your alternating shoes comment, but I can only say that I have been alternating up to 3 pairs of shoes over the past year and am easily getting 500+ out of them (normally) -- when I wasnt alternating, but wearing one pair only until they wear out, it seemed like they wore out around 350 to 400 or so......

Not very scientific and I cant really prove anything, but it just they way it seem to work for me..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Old, Slow, Happy

I've run in Beasts for over three years.  I usually get about 500 per pair.  I've had two pairs in that time that only made about 300.  I thought it was my "shuufling", but maybe it was just the shoes.
                              nextyearcubs

I like to break in a new pair when I have about 300 miles on my current pair, then I use the new pair for long runs while using the older pair for shorter runs.

I was all set up to have a newly broken-in pair with under 100 miles for the Chicago Marathon next month, but not anymore.