Not sure what to expect (Read 833 times)

My second marathon is coming up in just over 3 weeks. My first one was a year and a half ago. I did a very beginner level training plan that had a peak weekly mileage of 45 miles which was done once (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml). The overall mileage was low, but there was one day of speedwork most weeks. I did the race in 3:45. For the upcoming one I haven't followed a published plan, but instead have just been running a lot more mileage overall. Since August I've been averaging around 50 miles per week, however I have done very little speedwork aside from a few races. My GA paces have been intentionally slower than in the training for the first marathon, 9:15-9:35 rather than the 8:15-8:30 I did previously. My log tells the full story of my current training. I'd like some opinions on if the long slow miles approach will likely result in a faster race, or if I should expect a slower, but more comfortable one. My goal for this one isn't speed, though I'd like to beat my previous time. The longer term goal is to increase the mileage over the winter and add speedwork in anticipation of a much faster time in a May marathon.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

mikeymike

If you want to run a slower, more comfortable marathon you certainly can. Or you can run 3:36.

Runners run

wjosephbaker

RunningEsq.

Looking at your log, the real question is why can you not expect both. A comfortable race and a PR. Your speed appears to be there, what would help, is do you have a 1/2 time that is more recent then May? I think with the mileage you are running etc, a comfortable PR is insight for you. All things being equal.

Why is it sideways?

I agree. Your 22 mile long run in the heat in 3:28 and your recent splits from the relay lead me to believe that you're capable of 3:30. I think if you are able to start out conservatively and hit the half around 1:50 or so, you'll be pleasantly surprised with a PR.

Giants Fan

Nate, just peeked at your log, looks similar to mine (as far as paces and times for certain distances) You are ramping up for May marathon? I am getting ready to run my first one Sunday, Sept. 28th. Have you run half marathons before also? Just curious what your times were for those...trying to figure out what I'm capable of running as far as time. Thanks

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

It looks like the consensus is that more miles with less speed will make a faster marathon than less miles with more speed. Of course this is the common wisdom on the site, and the wisdom I've been following with my training. This will be my first real test of it though, so these opinions are encouraging.
              Nate, just peeked at your log, looks similar to mine (as far as paces and times for certain distances) You are ramping up for May marathon? I am getting ready to run my first one Sunday, Sept. 28th. Have you run half marathons before also? Just curious what your times were for those...trying to figure out what I'm capable of running as far as time. Thanks
              A fast run in May is the long term goal... I'll be running Chicago in three weeks. My most recent half is in my signature. Good luck in your 'thon, and let us all know how it goes.

-------------------------------------
              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07