The Less is More approach - does it work? (Read 2185 times)

I did a marathon last year on the 3 day a week plan and am currently training for one on the six day per week plan. Here's what I learned: 1) The 3 day a week plan is great for staying healthy. I beat the crap out of my self on those three days, but I never got hurt. 2) To do the 3 day plan right - each run MUST have a specific purpose - speed, tempo or long run. If you're a social runner or enjoy "running to run," this can be a big negative as each run tends to be very serious. 3) It helps a LOT if you know how to cross train or how to properly cross train, otherwise your cross-training days become rest days, which reduces your fitness level. Currently, I'm doing a six day plan and my buddy from work is doing the 3 day plan. He's a small notch behind than me fitness-wise, but we're doing our long runs together, because he's fresh as can be, whereas I'm on my 6th day in a row... I'll be curious to see how this all translates into the fall. But if you're willing to work harder for those 3 days per week, yup, I think it works great.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I have almost no cartilage left in my knees and when I started running again all the docs told me not to. The more I run the less they hurt. I would do what feels right to you.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

I'm hoping to find out...I am currently running alternate days, and plan on keeping it that way. I'm also keeping longer runs of 10+ to alternate weeks. I think I'm making progress, and hope to be back at 100 miles/month this month...fingers crossed Smile I enjoy running longer distances every other day, rather than shorter distances daily - but that's just my preference. I strength train 3x/week -but mostly upper body. What I am slowly moving towards is tailoring each run to incorporate hills, or intervals, or more distance, but always keeping some part of each run as easy, as in lower HR. Similar to the First program, but not quite as aggressive. I haven't done enough races or time trials to know what paces I should be running - so hard to plug into McMillan right now. I'm working towards a half in mid August, so I guess I'll find out then if the alternate day stuff is still working, or will work for longer races.... First testing the link...
        Chenille: Racing longer events such as half marathon or a marathon, you'll need muscular endurance. There's no way around it; you've got to work the working muscles (in this case, legs) for a long period of time. There have been many elite runners who substitued long runs with cross training or shorter, faster running; consequently they didn't succeed in the marathon (there, of course, had been exceptions). You're taking absolutely the right approach by alternating the distance and getting those longer runs in. Good luck with your half!
          I did a marathon last year on the 3 day a week plan and am currently training for one on the six day per week plan. Here's what I learned: 1) The 3 day a week plan is great for staying healthy. I beat the crap out of my self on those three days, but I never got hurt. But if you're willing to work harder for those 3 days per week, yup, I think it works great.
          I would argue against this logic until the cows come home. This is a recipe for injury and I beleive you are very lucky to have avoided one. Easy or slow runs between harder efforts protect the body against injury rather than promte it.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            I think if you like cross training, go for it! If your goal is to go farther, faster, I don't have a lot of confidence/experience with the less is more program. For me, more is more. I've been battling calf sprains for the last 4 months and during that time my knees became an almost bigger problems as the pain was constant and kept me up at night. To the point where I questioned whether I'd ever be able to run again. I've been back to running for a week and my knee pain has all but disappeared. good luck...I hope your knee issues resolve themselves one way or another.

Jennifer mm#1231

Chenille: Racing longer events such as half marathon or a marathon, you'll need muscular endurance. There's no way around it; you've got to work the working muscles (in this case, legs) for a long period of time. There have been many elite runners who substitued long runs with cross training or shorter, faster running; consequently they didn't succeed in the marathon (there, of course, had been exceptions). You're taking absolutely the right approach by alternating the distance and getting those longer runs in. Good luck with your half!
              Thanks, Nobby. Energy levels still adjusting to the longer runs, but once that levels out, plan on adding a 2hr+ bike ride on the weeks opposite the long runs. Appreciate the feedback Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

SMART Approach

Nobby, It has been a while. Good to see you back posting.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Feeling the growl again

The only way a less is more strategy will lead to better race performances is if it allows you to avoid injury problems and consequently be more consistent with your training. There is no shortcut in running, for most people your performances will continue to improve up until the point where you either A) start getting injured, or B) are no longer recovering between workouts or due to excessive volume. Given enough time to acclimate, the threshhold for B is much, much higher for most individuals than they may think. I don't tend to injure easily at all. As I acclimated I was able to continue progressing until I was consistently over 100 mpw. This is certainly not the case for everyone but it was for me. I have tried all types of training and workout schemes to continue high performaces on reduced overall mileage, like more hard workouts, faster workouts, etc. I have found that the #1 predictor of my conditioning is my weekly mileage -- workout type, length, and intensity are all secondary. In other words, there is absolutely no training that will make me in better shape averaging 50mpw than 80mpw (assuming I was doing SOMETHING for workouts at 80 mpw). FIRST is particularly bad. Volume strengthens joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles to make you more resilitent to intensity. If you are reducing volume/frequency because you get injured, going out and hammering it the few times you do run is about the worst thing you can do. Indeed, most (not all) people I know who tried this program either got injured again or found that they could not complete the workouts given the low amount of running they were doing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TChuck: Thanks for a nice word. Yeah, I've been slucking... ;o) I didn't see your nice portrait so I checked your bio (and, yeah, you were who I thought you were) but I saw you running in Appleton, WI??? Are you actually there or you live near-by? My wife's from Appleton! We got married at Paper Valley hotel Incidentally, her first marathon was Fox Cities marathon in 1991 when they finished by Paper Valley hotel. So that was quite nice (yes, I ran it with her). Spaniel: Very nice post...and spot on! It is conceivable to see some improvement employing FIRST program, even with some "good" runners simply because, in most cases, they would have become too efficient at "running" and, because they usually suck at other activities like XC skiing or swimming, they actually benefit more aerobically by doing those activities. In other words, they might get even greater aerobic development by doing those activities. I guess a problem (one of the...) is, and I've expressed this several times at other posts (of course, this is just MY opinion...as well as, as far as i know, people like Willamona); so runners like Ryan Hall would run 13 times a week up to 120 miles a week. He would do one long run, perhaps one tempo run and maybe another session of interval or hills. So he would be doing other 9~10 sessions, most likely, easy "junk miles". Willamona always says things like "you don't have enough jogging to support quality workouts" and I totally agree with her comment. Many people, and I see many on this post as well, they might do 20 miles a week of running, 4 times a week; and I curl my toes when they say, "Oh, I do one long run and one tempo run and one intervals... It's, to me, like building a great big castle on sand. Chenille: Nice form!
                    ALB

There is no reason that you cannot improve fitness on 4 days running as long as you do the right workouts on the right days, at the right intensities. Most everyone will agree that you can effectively substitiute various cross training for what might usually be your "easy" days. The role of the easy days in many running programs is mostly about allowing your body to recover so that you can perform the "key" workouts at the proper levels to continue to improve fitness. For example, if your 4 running days per week are a) one day of intervals or running at faster than goal pace, b) a day for a tempo run at or near goal pace for 50-75% of the race distance, c) a long run, and d) a run that starts out easy, but the last 25%-50% are done at your tempo run pace. These are the kind of workouts that will improve running performance. Just allow some recovery between them.
                      JimR

The role of the easy days in many running programs is mostly about allowing your body to recover so that you can perform the "key" workouts at the proper levels to continue to improve fitness.
                        Technically, an 'easy day' is intended to allow you to continue to develop without compromising your hard days. A day off would be strictly about recovery, while an easy day is about training.

Hawt and sexy

It's like I heard my name. Thanks Nobby, of course I agree with you. You just say it better.

I'm touching your pants.

Ringmaster

But this conversation was, initially, about cutting back specifically to heal/prevent an injury. Not about training in general. Wasn't it? Seems like two entirely different things. Chenille, have you come to visit the Half Marathon Trainers group? Lots of experienced runners there to share stories with. And I agree--great form! Smile

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

Hawt and sexy

Yes, but cutting back usually means increased intensity. If you want to heal the intensity level must stay low, otherwise, you just hurt yourself more. You go from injured and running to cross training only. You do not want to be around a runner who can't run. it's just not pretty. If the intensity is low the mileage might as well be up there. It's not like you have anything else to do. Now don't go crazy hitting new mileage highs while healing, but keeping pace with the old and maybe increasing as you feel better is perfectly fine. Let's face it, most of the time people are injured, it's because they were doing too much too fast too soon. Sometimes slowing down is all it takes to get the body back in shape. The FIRST program does not slow things down. It is very intense even with the cross training. The program is not for the injured or the faint of heart. Definitely not for me either. I go the route of having a huge base. I do so many easy miles that people can not understand why or how I do them. But I use those miles to my advantage when I care to peak. And I have run on small injuries like twisted ankles or the beginnings of PF. They heal as long as you stay slow. The basic rule with training programs for running is kinda simple. If it looks like it might be a short-cut, it's probably not a good plan for most of the population. The best thing to do is to educate yourself on the different types of workouts, fully understand what they accomplish and use a basic plan as a base of operations. If you know why intervals are important, you generally also know when they are most effective and you do them correctly. Most people now-a-days just pick up a plan and do it without figuring out the whys or hows. They think it must be an ok plan because it was in whatever magazine or so-and-so's website program generator so even the paces given must be just perfect. But usually, if you have just an even basic idea of what workout accomplishes what goals, you can pick out errors made in these mag-based glam programs. Yep, I am writing books again. Nobby, I blame you.

I'm touching your pants.

Prince of Fatness

When I feel need to cut back, either because I am injured or feel an injury coming on, the first thing I try is just cutting out all of the high intensity stuff. If that doesn't work then I'll take some time off. Of course it depends on the injury, but in most cases I haven't had to take time off. I'd rather run all of my mileage at recovery pace for a few weeks than not run at all. I would think that, even if it's only 3 days a week, high intensity running can't be good if you're trying to recover from injury. A couple of years ago I had a severe groin tear that cost me 6 weeks of running. When I asked the doctor about returning to running he said, " Try to stay away from hills, and if it hurts don't do it". But he did say to keep active while healing in order to avoid excessive scar tissue buildup (this was a pretty severe muscle tear, I had bruising showing down past the inside of my knee).

Not at it at all.