Goal of sub 1:40 half. (Read 3802 times)

Prince of Fatness

I did feel quite beat up though.

One thing about the long tempo runs is that I feel they do an outstanding job of teaching pace control and running by feel - something I've been focusing on a lot lately. My splits were quite even.

Try slowing down just a little bit (maybe 10 15 seconds per mile)  and get the feel for the effort level.  Do these consistently and the pace will take care of itself.

Not at it at all. 

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Try slowing down just a little bit (maybe 10 15 seconds per mile)  and get the feel for the effort level.  Do these consistently and the pace will take care of itself.

I think it had as much to do with the intervals session I did two days prior as the pace in and of itself. I'm doing more quality than I've ever done before and my legs feel somewhere between "A bit beat up" and "Friggin torched" pretty much 24/7.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, I noticed that your overall pace for August is 30 seconds quicker than July so it does not surprise me that you are feeling it.  I also noticed that your easy pace is faster than mine.  Make sure that you are taking the easy days easy.  You want to be recovered going into those quality workouts so you can nail them.

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

It's official. I've found my least favorite workout ever - the long tempo. Did 14 miles with 6 at LT, right around 7:40. I didn't have enough left in the tank for the 5 x 200s.

I think you ran it too fast. When I say slow tempo I am meaning a pace that is around 50-60 seconds per mile slower than what you can run  5K race today. As distance goes up for a tempo, the pace needs to go down. Since you are doing the HM paced and critical velocity paced reps, you should not be running these tempos at fast tempo pace (15K pace). This slow tempo pace should leave you feeling good, but when you do 14 miles with quality in it, it is "hard work". When you do this quality pretty hard it is even harder. AND, you may have not been recovered from the previous quality work out.

Be careful on your quality work the next 4 days. There is nothing wrong with a little break from the quality and just getting in the comfortable pace miles. Or doing 2 hard sessions one week and one the next week. Recovery is what makes you stronger.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

hairshirt knitter

legs feel somewhere between "A bit beat up" and "Friggin torched" pretty much 24/7.

Well, I know that feeling! A week back to deep aerobic miles - same mileage, plus dunking my legs in cold water post-run worked wonders.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I think you ran it too fast. When I say slow tempo I am meaning a pace that is around 50-60 seconds per mile slower than what you can run  5K race today. As distance goes up for a tempo, the pace needs to go down. Since you are doing the HM paced and critical velocity paced reps, you should not be running these tempos at fast tempo pace (15K pace). This slow tempo pace should leave you feeling good, but when you do 14 miles with quality in it, it is "hard work". When you do this quality pretty hard it is even harder. AND, you may have not been recovered from the previous quality work out.

I haven't raced a 5k since Feb and I'm way faster than that now. I plugged my most recent 10k into the McMillan calculator and it spits out a 21:50 5k, a 6:49 pace. My pace for the tempo section of yesterday's run was 7:41, right around the 50 seconds per mile faster than 5k guidline.

SMART Approach

I haven't raced a 5k since Feb and I'm way faster than that now. I plugged my most recent 10k into the McMillan calculator and it spits out a 21:50 5k, a 6:49 pace. My pace for the tempo section of yesterday's run was 7:41, right around the 50 seconds per mile faster than 5k guidline.

I guess the best way to look at it is what you could run a 5K that day. Maybe for you this day because you weren't fully recovered from previous work out or it was warm or for whatever reason, a 6:50 - 7:00 min pace would have been more ideal. The more you do these tempos, the more you know what feels right each time out. AND if you are beaten up a bit, it is fine to do 4-5 miles of slow tempo in place of the 10K or half marathon paced reps. Listen to your body. GOOD JOB!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Aha! light goes on in my brain.

Nicely put Chuck. Thanks.

SMART Approach

Aha! light goes on in my brain.

Nicely put Chuck. Thanks.

Good. Looking at your log, you did 35 miles in 3 days late last week with back to back long. Then an 8 mile recovery run which at that distance is not recovery. I day off, hard intervals, recovery, hard and long again. This is a bit much as I think you are now aware of. Go longer this weekend if feeling good but slow w/ a few striders. Stay healthy!!

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Ok, one final question for now and then I'll stop hogging all your wisdom.

Long runs. With the intensity that I've been doing, they've been pretty short. Do you think that will be a concern? I'm coming up on race day pretty quick, so I don't know that changes are going to make much difference, but do you think I should hit a few 16s, even if it means easing up on the speedwork, or should I stay the course and be ok with some 13-14s with some intensity thrown into them?

SMART Approach

13-14 miles with some quality will give you more bang for your buck as long as you are not overtraining.  In future, feel free to mix in slower and longer long runs with long runs with quality.  You have to remember that long a long run in a sense is a quality work out and if you add some speed within it, it is more taxing especially if you are not a high mileage runner. You have to listen to your body. If on a day where 13 is scheduled with quality and you just don't feel like it, don't do the quality. Remember, break down and allow recovery vs. breakdown, breakdown and breakdown. You can't get faster and stronger without allowing your body to do so.

Mr I, I have been reading "Lore of Running" (Tim Noakes) a lot recently, and am convinced a lot of serious runners push too hard in training.

You are either a lot faster than me, (my recent 10k time is 1 minute slopwer than yours, so this is quite likely!)  or pushing VERY hard, or both.

For example, I ran  nearly 17 miles for my long run today, in a really nice 60 degree temp. after a rest day. I ran the last 10k in 51:09 as a "fast finish" and was quite proud of myself. I would not for one second have considered running 200s on top of that.

August was not a great mileage month for me but better than last year, so I am pretty satisfied. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

... and am convinced a lot of serious runners push too hard in training.

Why do you say that?

SMART Approach

and am convinced a lot of serious runners push too hard in training.

This brings up an interesting question. My thoughts are that low mileage, less serious runners push too hard in training with speed work and other faster work when they need to be focusing on increasing aerobic capacity and building miles.

The serious runner (what does that mean). I will define it by someone who is higher mileage and competing on a regular basis. To improve and race well, you need to train hard. The caveat is that hard training needs to be followed by recovery and also you need to cycle your training throughout year. You can't train hard and be "peaked" year round so it is nice to have a couple times per year where you have some goal race (s). In a given week, if serious, you need to challenge yourself 1-3 days per week with "quality work", other days should be comfortable running.

The 2 problems I have seen over the years is

1. Many runners work too hard all the time and not allowing body to recover. They feel they need to train fast all the time to get faster.

2. Many runners just starting or wanting to build up do so too fast. Many also increase miles and speedwork at same time. It takes a while to build aerobic capacity and adapt to the pounding of running. This is very stressful to the body. Give the body time to build strength and less injuries will occur. We are an inpatient society.

Just completed my last week of intense training for the race.  My half is on Sunday.

Total Weekly Miles: 44

Key workouts:

20km with last 10 @ HM pace + :15/sec/km

10km tempo @ HM pace (actually ended up a bit faster)

Anyways I feel like I have a really good chance at Sub 1:40.  I am still deciding on how to approach this week. I think I'll just take a day by day approach to it. This being my first half i'm not sure what my body would best react to - less quality, less miles....i dunno.

Will post a race report after the race.