Counterfeit Bibs (Read 459 times)

Hadn't thought of that. Of course, I'd rather see one of these mopes lying there than my next of kin. Still, I'd be pissed at them for wasting my time and causing stress.

Talk about unintended consequences for the BAA. I thought the old bandit system worked just fine. There was a bandit code: start at the end, no bib required, and don't take a medal. That impacted my experience absolutely nada.

I've heard accounts that this year's marathon traffic seemed worse. I'm sure there are many reasons for that but this sure didn't help.

MTA: Abe beat me to the code thing.

My code is tougher because I'm asking them to not take water, Gatorade, and food.  I'm a hard-ass, baby!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

xhristopher

My code is tougher because I'm asking them to not take water, Gatorade, and food.  I'm a hard-ass, baby!

I had someone offer beer around mile 2 and another open a can around mile 4 that sprayed on the runners. Wonder what would be left towards the back of the pack.

Plenty of shopping opportunities for bandits along the route.

Feeling the growl again

Talk about unintended consequences for the BAA. I thought the old bandit system worked just fine. There was a bandit code: start at the end, no bib required, and don't take a medal. That impacted my experience absolutely nada.

I actually have had bandits interfere with my race in two different years, including 2004 when it was like 85 degrees and he almost caused a fall being a goon in the middle of the course.  Under those conditions it took some restraint not to kidney-punch him.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

"The Crowleys are not the only bib forgers. In what DeadSpin is calling Bibgate 2014, four runners were found using bib number 14285. Two of the runners were identified as Boston College cross country athletes."

I hope the bastards have some kind of eligibility issue or something next season.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

Which means their assistant coach is Tim Ritchie, who is also a BAA athlete. Awkward.

Runners run

These morons were in my Wave and probably the people I had to dodge so that sucks. Although, I'm really having a hard time figuring out who I should be more angry at. These bandits or the groups and groups of people I caught in Wave 3 walking side by side at mile 3.5. Why the hell are you doing a marathon if you are walking by mile 3.5!!??!?!

aponi

never runs the tangents

I guess I'm just glad that the big scandal this year is who forged a bib and not who blew up a bunch of innocent people.

As for the bandits, I'm all for putting their pictures up in the local LRS. You want fame, here ye go.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

"The Crowleys are not the only bib forgers. In what DeadSpin is calling Bibgate 2014, four runners were found using bib number 14285. Two of the runners were identified as Boston College cross country athletes."

I hope the bastards have some kind of eligibility issue or something next season.

They're probably going to have a pissed-off-coach-crawling-up-their-ass issue immediately, which is even better.

I thought Ritchie said they were former athletes.

xhristopher

The guy in the lower left appears to be wearing his BC shorts too. Way to represent!

Seems like the guys could easily be ID'ed using the CC roster on the BC site.

xhristopher

I thought Ritchie said they were former athletes.

Perhaps they are now.

Perhaps they are now.

Sounds like that might be the case.  It says Ritchie knew about it.  That can't be good for him, can it?

xhristopher

Slow day. Long week. Killing time....

A little googlefoo quickly fills in the gaps. Here's the missing link between what Ritchie won't say and what the guy in the upper right is wearing. I'm pretty sure I've ID'd him and he's running in the memory of a family member lost to cancer. Looking to run the Pacific Coast Trail in June to raise money in his honor.

I'm pretty sure I've ID'd the other guy and a solid connection to Heartbreak Hill Running Company, who denies knowing anyone...

xhristopher

I just read a little more about the kid and his cause. He's no longer on the team because he's graduating this spring. He really looks like a good kid and his heart is in the right place. In many ways he's what we want to see out of our 21-22 year old college grads. Unfortunately he did make an unfortunate misstep here and it's also clear that he organized and recruited an underground charity team to run the Boston Marathon. He was likely more closely involved in distributing the fake bibs than we might have first thought. This kid was part of the running community and should have known better. He could have jogged a qualifier if he wanted to but was trying to gather a group around him.

It's disheartening to hear since I've also run Boston for a charity equally as close to my heart. My charity receives no bibs so running for it at Boston was what inspired me to work my ass off and improve my marathon almost 50 minutes to qualify and get it in. That then sparked a much deeper interest in running that has carried on since.

I've got to imagine the press shitstorm will be a learning experience for these kids.

Now, what the hell is team ARGO?

Now this here is the 2014 Boston Marathon Conspiracy.  That other thread and other so-called conspiracy has nothing like this.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life