Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jmac - adding to the congrats!  When you have a moment (probably about 10 years from now) I'd be curious to hear what the hospital delivery experience was like in Covid-era NYC.

Also - ditto on the questions about more information about the new one!

Longboat - very interesting (and I feel like an ugly American for not knowing that).  The weird thing is, I do recall some friends who had to give up citizenship, I thought?  But perhaps I was just confused.

OTOH, locally we had a woman who was deciding between doing the US Marathon Olympic Trials or representing France in some international competition, so clearly she has dual citizenship of some sort, now that I think about it.

(unfortunately for her, she chose to sit out the Trials in favor of representing France, only to have that competition cancelled due to Covid)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mark do the Parkrun then we will have you and Steve to cheer for this weekend 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

JMac -- major congrats, good luck getting any sleep =)

I had a fun run today. It was cooler than it's been and I was just super relaxed jogging around. Always nice to just have those runs that you really enjoy even if objectively there's nothing special about the run.

In other new a race that I had assumed would be cancelled is happening. August 8th I will be racing a whopping 7 miles with about 900 feet of elevation gain based on strava stalking some people who ran it last year =). This is gonna be brutal in all the right ways. I'm really hoping we have some sort of staggered start, all I've heard so far is that the 4, 7, and HM starts will be staggered.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

It always takes a lot to catch up with this place after a few days away!

DWave - Hopefully one of your higher-priority races will go off, but if not maybe we can say "hi" in person. My thinking is that this race is small and in a fairly rural area and so will be more likely to run than something larger/in a more urban area.

Stryd: Most to all of the difference in the before/after readings when you upgraded are due to it taking wind into consideration - those same metrics tanked for me when I upgraded as well. I just looked at a couple old runs and my running effectiveness and efficiency index (per Runalyze) are both ~6.1% lower than before.

20W for someone your size seems a bit high according to my memory, though. By adding in the extra watts to overcome air resistance you end up with higher wattage at the same pace as before, which makes you look much less efficient. If you're on a treadmill (and not having to overcome any wind at all) the metrics should be the same/very nearly the same between the wind and non-wind models.

I'm guessing the power readings are due to you using a Garmin chest strap (HRM RUN or TRI, perhaps?) since there's no native power recording for Stryd in run mode. I know Garmin does their own running power calculations with some chest straps, but I thought they required their own CIQ app as well.

JMac - Hooray for the new addition! I hope and trust all in the house are doing well.
          10 guys running around your speed? Man, I don't think I've ever run a race and finished near that many people.
          I used to use HR pretty heavily when running, but have phased out of that over the last couple years. I find that going by internal effort and/or Stryd will keep my HR well within whatever zone I would have been using anyway.
          Also, for Intervals do you prefer going to longer intervals (going to 5x 3:30 from 5x 3:00) or adding in a new rep (6x from 5x at the same duration)?

Mark - We wear the same size running shoe, so clearly I can't blame being slow on my big feet! Time to think of a new excuse...

Flavio - Great that your weather situation has approved, and awesome that you have your Altras locally, too. Sweet that you've got your Italian citizenship now, too, congratulations!
          Good find on that Github script, I'm taking note of that. Fortunately I have most of my common workouts saved to my watch (independent of the calendar), and something like today's 6x 3 min on/3 min off was easy to setup on my watch as I walked to my start point.

I've done a good bit of travelling back and forth across the state in the last week-and-a-half due to my wife's grandmother's health going downhill rapidly, her passing, and the funeral. Old age - she was 92 and quite ready for it.

After discovering I had some credits at an online store I ordered a pair of Saucony Endorphin Speeds. Looking forward to trying those out whenever they get here - sometime in the next two weeks. Those things are surprisingly difficult to find (having big feet helped me here) - the men's version doesn't even show on the Saucony website!

Weekly for period: From: 07/20/2020 To 07/26/2020

Date Name Distance
          in mi
          Duration Avg Pace
          per mi
          Elevation Gain
          in ft
          07/20/2020 Watch crash recovery 1.15 00:09:53 08:36 299
          07/20/2020 Ronnestads. 2x(13x :30 I, :15 E) + 6x :30 I, :15 E. 6 min E between sets 12.55 01:32:43 07:23 817
          07/21/2020 1 rabbit and 1 tarantula 11.30 01:37:03 08:35 486
          07/22/2020 4 deer (4 strides) and way too much fog for July 12.05 01:41:43 08:26 505
          07/23/2020 6x 1k @CP, 1 min recovery 13.50 01:42:24 07:35 299
          07/24/2020 5 deer (1 segment crown) & 1 owl 11.50 01:34:41 08:14 236
          07/25/2020 5 hawks, 2 rabbits, & 1 owl 15.16 02:12:13 08:43 686
          07/26/2020 2 hawks 4.15 00:36:16 08:44 141

Total distance: 81.37mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

OH MY GOD WHERE DID YOU GET THE DANCING BANANA?!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Believe it or not I've had it saved on my computer for years now! A web form I used to regularly fill out required a file attachment each time it was updated (regardless of whether the proper file was already attached), so I used the dancing banana as a dummy upload since it's such a tiny file.

I had to upload it to postimages (Flavio found this, I think) and copy/pasted the URL here.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Resident Historian

Copy/paste from earlier post -- like Keen's example.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Marky_Mark_17

Old friend, how I've missed you.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

This is so cool 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I had to upload it to postimages (Flavio found this, I think) and copy/pasted the URL here.

Actually it was Piwi, who's our resident tech expert.

This board offers you the 5 star honor, the highest available, for your incredible achievement.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I rethought things regarding Stryd & Garmin on my run this morning and had a bit of an epiphany. If you have Stryd paired to your watch as a power meter Garmin DOES write power to the .fit file - they just don't show it to you on the watch or Connect since they haven't built out power-based metrics for run mode yet.

A couple weeks ago Stryd updated their CIQ data field (which writes power to the .fit file and forms its own connection to the foot pod in order to allow watches that don't support power meters to use Stryd) and as a result it would vibrate and tell me it was disconnected/reconnected every few seconds. Thankfully they fixed that within hours of me telling them I had an issue, but the power metrics on PowerCenter were an absolute mess with all the drop outs and averaged ~100W lower than it should have, but when I checked Runalyze the power data looked completely normal. The only way that could have happened was if it was getting the power data written to the .fit file natively since I have Stryd connected as a power meter and don't use Garmin's chest strap any longer.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

CalBears

Longboat - very interesting (and I feel like an ugly American for not knowing that).  The weird thing is, I do recall some friends who had to give up citizenship, I thought?  But perhaps I was just confused.

When you get a job in the US that requires security clearance (some federal jobs?), they may ask you to renounce your other citizenship(s). Otherwise nobody mostly cares.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

When you get a job in the US that requires security clearance (some federal jobs?), they may ask you to renounce your other citizenship(s). Otherwise nobody mostly cares.

Ah, that might be it.  I have a LOT of friends with security clearances - it's pretty normal in this area, since a lot of people work for the government, or contractors, or law firms that do work on government issues, or similar.

As for the power oddity, here's the thing CK:  This is my new Garmin 735.  It is brand new out of the box, and because of the whole Garmin-being-down thing this watch has not been connected to Garmin yet (and I'm probably going to wait another week or so before doing so, just to be safe, since I have a nice pristine watch).  The 735 does not have the Stryd Connect IQ thing installed on it - it has nothing on it except what it came with out of the box.  And it's not refurbished (as best I can tell) - it's brand new and came in a nice new box.

So basically:

Situation one - Garmin 935 with Stryd Connect IQ app and non-wind Stryd - gives me one set of power readings telling me what a wonderful efficient runner I am.

Situation two - Garmin 935 with Stryd Connect IQ app and wind Stryd - gives me a second set of power readings telling me that I'm an awful non-efficient runner.  (according to Runalyze - a running efficiency score  .91 or below is "below average; .92 to .94 is average, and over .94 is above average.  My running efficiency score with the wind Stryd is .78.....)

Situation three - New out of box Garmin 735 with no apps installed and wind Stryd sitting on a shelf in my house - same power readings as situation two....

Which makes me wonder if Garmin will spit out some sort of power readings based on the HRM-Run strap, and ever since I swapped to the wind Stryd I've been getting those power readings and not the Stryd ones.  Equivalent to a watch pulling distance from GPS when you thought it was pulling from the foot pod.

The only common factor between situations two and three are a) the runner and b) the HRM-run strap.  Different watches, one has the Stryd App and one does not, and I'v been wearing the foot pod with one but not the other.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ah, that might be it.  I have a LOT of friends with security clearances - it's pretty normal in this area, since a lot of people work for the government, or contractors, or law firms that do work on government issues, or similar.

As for the power oddity, here's the thing CK:  This is my new Garmin 735.  It is brand new out of the box, and because of the whole Garmin-being-down thing this watch has not been connected to Garmin yet (and I'm probably going to wait another week or so before doing so, just to be safe, since I have a nice pristine watch).  The 735 does not have the Stryd Connect IQ thing installed on it - it has nothing on it except what it came with out of the box.  And it's not refurbished (as best I can tell) - it's brand new and came in a nice new box.

So basically:

Situation one - Garmin 935 with Stryd Connect IQ app and non-wind Stryd - gives me one set of power readings telling me what a wonderful efficient runner I am.

Situation two - Garmin 935 with Stryd Connect IQ app and wind Stryd - gives me a second set of power readings telling me that I'm an awful non-efficient runner.  (according to Runalyze - a running efficiency score  .91 or below is "below average; .92 to .94 is average, and over .94 is above average.  My running efficiency score with the wind Stryd is .78.....)

Situation three - New out of box Garmin 735 with no apps installed and wind Stryd sitting on a shelf in my house - same power readings as situation two....

Which makes me wonder if Garmin will spit out some sort of power readings based on the HRM-Run strap, and ever since I swapped to the wind Stryd I've been getting those power readings and not the Stryd ones.  Equivalent to a watch pulling distance from GPS when you thought it was pulling from the foot pod.

The only common factor between situations two and three are a) the runner and b) the HRM-run strap.  Different watches, one has the Stryd App and one does not, and I'v been wearing the foot pod with one but not the other.

If you haven't used Stryd with the new 735 then I'd have to think that the watch is still calculating power via the chest strap and writing it to the file without showing the metrics (which requires a CIQ data field) - just the same as it was when my Stryd datafield kept dropping its connection.

I suppose it's possible that you've been getting some readings from the watch/chest strap combo - how do the power numbers you were getting with the old watch + stryd wind compare between runalyze and Stryd powercenter? From what I've seen, the garmin/chest strap combo would be ~40% or so higher than Stryd for the same run.

On my run with the wonky stryd data field values I also had a separate data field that showed power that came from the watch's connection to stryd as a power meter - that field showed completely normal values the entire time and matched what I saw in runalyze afterwards. Given that Runalyze took what was the "higher" power value between what was actually going on (likely written natively by the watch, but not shown) vs what the stryd data field showed and wrote to the file, perhaps Runalyze is showing you power numbers from garmin's chest strap rather than Stryd. That wouldn't be the case for me since I use a polar arm strap for HR. Definitely curious to see what difference there is, if any, between one of your runs in powercenter (if you use it) and runalyze.

My Running Effectiveness & Efficiency Index (similar, but different calculations) dropped in absolute values when I switched to the Stryd wind. Running effectiveness (Speed [m/s] / Power [W/kg]) is usually .93 for easy runs with the new model (.95 before), while my efficiency index (Speed [m/min] / Power [W]) is usually .77 now (from .79, also easy runs). To be expected when adding in a new value (wind resistance). When looking at them comparatively (typical values for non wind vs wind models) I've improved from what I was at 18 months ago.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My running effectiveness with the old Stryd was generally around 1.01 or higher, and sometimes into the "elite"realm.  Which of course was appealing to me.  So basically, I had a huge drop in running effectiveness when I upgraded my Stryd.

(for the studio audience - running effectiveness is more or less how fast you run for a given power.  It can obviously be affected by stuff like terrain.  Also, we all have certain speeds at which we are more or less efficient).

Went back and checked - when I was running with the wind Stryd and my 935 a week or so back, I got the same power readings on both Powercenter and Runalyze.  Obviously I'm not seeing anything on Powercenter right now (I tried manually uploading recent files for the heck of it, and got error messages that they had no power data, despite showing power data in Runalyze).

Clearly, my Garmin now is picking up some sort of power reading from the heart rate strap.  Which is bizarre, because I've seen no mention of that being possible in any documentation.