Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I'm more impressed by the quality of the grass on that field. That looks professional. Is it? Also hilarious for those of us in the US that this is your winter grass. Ours is brown at this point and most likely covered in snow.

Keen - I always think having a goal is good to push yourself, but if you're not going to look at your watch during the effort, then it doesn't matter as much.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac we have had a very mild winter. The local regional/state rugby team plays here so its kept well. Spring lambs all over the place on my rural runs too.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

NZ grass are types that like moderately cool conditions.  It is summer when we have grass that goes brown.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

The grass inside the track I use up the road is pretty similar although it doesn't have the impressive shaded strips.  It also has two quite territorial ducks that will sometimes quack at me every lap.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I ran later today around 11am and it was noticeably warmer.

I have some New Balance Beacon 2s coming. Dodgy discount code worked again . I now have New Balance Zantes, Fuelcell Rebels, and Beacons.

zebano

Piwi - going all in on New Balance aye? What do you use the Rebels and Beacons for? I'm going to need an easy mile shoe pretty soon and wondering what the appropriate NB shoe is since the zante pursuits feel so good for faster stuff.

Keen - I think not looking at your watch is a great idea. I've set a couple of PRs that way but it certainly works better if you have competition in similar race shape to yourself.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Zebano the Rebels are really good for tempo runs. They have a plastic plate in the forefoot which I get some good pop off. I am hoping the Beacons will be good for daily training although they are only 7oz. I just couldn't find any cheap Nike Pegasus to replace my current ones.

Marky_Mark_17

Looks like the weather will be near perfect in Tauranga tomorrow for the race that Piwi and I aren't running.  This would be the third canned race this year that had great weather the day it would've been held.  I get that Covid leads to race cancellations but at least the weather gods could make me feel better about it by laying on some crap weather!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Yep Mark perfect weather. I'm loaded to go fishing. Cool with no wind.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Looks like the weather will be near perfect in Tauranga tomorrow for the race that Piwi and I aren't running.  This would be the third canned race this year that had great weather the day it would've been held.  I get that Covid leads to race cancellations but at least the weather gods could make me feel better about it by laying on some crap weather!!

Boston this year was the first good weather in about 5 years. Not only that, it was actually unseasonably cool, so it was probably the best weather in over a decade (besides on year with a cheater tailwind). That probably annoyed me more than anything about that entire wasted cycle. At least your race has good weather most years!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I ran a very good workout this morning. I've just uploaded it to Strava. Can you guys have a look and give me some feedback?

Workout

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

I ran a very good workout this morning. I've just uploaded it to Strava. Can you guys have a look and give me some feedback?

Workout

Very impressive!! You should quit your job and turn professional 

2:52:16 (2018)

Resident Historian

Workout

Someone's gotta work on leveling that track! That homestretch is 5m uphill!  GPS says so!

Oh, yeah, try to run the tangents!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

My recovery week is going. That's about all I can say about it. I'm sleeping more and running less, but my HR is actually going UP for the effort on these shorter runs and my legs (mostly my quads) are feeling something between heavy and tired. Thoughts, anyone? Because I'm clueless here.

Oh, and no 5k for me tomorrow. DW forgot about the race and ended up volunteering to help with work function the same morning and there's no one to watch the kiddos for us that early in the morning. I'm more than a little irked about this.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Even up the splits next time. That 2nd km at 2.32 is embarrassing 

Workout