Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

*Checks I'm not in the marathon thread*

Maybe I'll use this on my children: "If you keep acting like this, I'm going to give you the marathon training thread treatment!"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Maybe I'll use this on my children: "If you keep acting like this, I'm going to give you the marathon training thread treatment!"

Hopefully they don't take that to mean you're up for a back and forth lasting several months...

In other news, there's a 10km trail run in Queenstown on Good Friday that I may enter - quite different to what I'm training for but will give me another race.  It might marginally make up for the fact that one of my favourite bands announced a tour with 2 Christchurch shows on the Thursday and Friday...pretty much the only nights I'm unavailable in the first half of the year.  It's around a lake so wouldn't involve a great amount of climbing - I think about 80-100 metres.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Sounds like they might be settling down a bit over on the marathon thread  I remember alot of the past stuff they are talking about and the different forum members. There was one guy who got into a spout with Nimmals and it turned out he was wanted with the FBI for killing somebody and was now in South America  and this prompted a name change for Nimmals.

They probably should have had some slower marathon training threads as they seem a little less aggressive.

Jmac-  Mark, Watson, and Steve aint me cusins they me 2nd cusins 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - a trail 10km race is a bit different but the trail stuff is great for strength as it makes road running feel easy by comparison.  Depends a bit on the quality of the trail too.  I'd imagine the Queenstown ones are fairly well maintained as the Queenstown Marathon pumps a lot of money back into the trail maintenance.

Who's the band?  Every now and then you get random shows around Easter.  I remember Audioslave toured here over Easter one year and I missed it because I was at Uni Games in Palmerston North (I was on the debate team lol).  My mate loves reminding me about that (he went to the show).  I don't get along to that many concerts these days as I struggle with them on school nights and there's not that many bands left on my bucket list now.  Given the cost of a lot of concerts it just means work, family and training tend to take priority.  Next up is Iron Maiden in May although I'm considering going to Faith No More too.

Me - did 1 hour @ MP this morning.  Averaged 3:47/km vs. goal of 3:45/km, but it took me at least 15 minutes for the legs to properly warm up to the pace (having done intervals yesterday), and it was a humid morning too, so I was pretty happy overall (also it wasn't in Vaporflies haha).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Yeah, it's one I'll keep on my radar and enter it depending on how I'm feeling that week.  It's at Lake Hayes which is part of the Queenstown Marathon so the track should be nice and even.

Blindspott is the band, have seen them twice but they tour relatively rarely.  I have friends obsessed with them and it would have been a great night but I guess I'll save some cash, and wake up on Good Friday feeling better than I would.

That's a great MP workout.  I tried a 4x2km HMP workout last night in strong winds and it went surprisingly well.  I went faster than my goal pace and didn't feel broken at all.  Good signs.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - happens every marathon pace run. I don't think it's possible to hit goal pace in the first mile if you're trying to run by feel. You're always trying to ease your way into that pace. How do you feel overall in those runs vs. your other workouts?

Piwi - wow I didn't know it was that crazy in the old days! That's some story.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - in generally felt pretty strong and in control, like I was just dialling into the rhythm of it, particularly once the legs warmed up.  For most of it the effort felt steady and controlled.  The last 10 minutes I did have to dig it in a bit and force the legs to maintain the rhythm as they started to tire (the HR kicked up too), but coming off a workout yesterday, that wasn't a surprise.  I guess the overall sense was that, with 3 months training still to go, a good taper, and Vaporflies, the pace should be totally manageable, if maybe a little conservative.

The last time I ran a 1 hour tempo was probably as part of a long run when training for my last marathon!

Steve- awesome news on the workout.  I did a similar workout in early August when targeting Dunedin in early September and it was a really good predictor.  The other reason I don't go to concerts often is because my mates tend to be really big drinkers and I just can't deal with hangovers these days - I tend to prioritise family and training.  It's so easy to burn a ton of cash too and wake up the next day regretting it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

You mean 3x2T right? 3x2 at HMP is for wimps 

Didn't you FAIL your threshold workout? You want to start calling names and you can't even finish? PLEASE.

Also...eff you. 2 miles at 5:55-6:00 pace. WAAAAYY too much wind resistance. I think as you approach, and exceed, 10 mph the coefficient of drag is directly proportional to the amount of sandbagging one is capable of.

EDIT: also..children? as in plural? Bro you ain't even delt with ONE and you're already talking about multiples? You're DEFINATELY hitting 165 soon. Bye bye school girl figure.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think as you approach, and exceed, 10 mph the coefficient of drag is directly proportional to the amount of sandbagging one is capable of.

This is just so good.

I had a short intervals workout this morning (8 x 600 @5k pace, 4 x 200 @ mile pace).  Inspired me to crank out the Saucony Fastwitch racing flats which have gotten sad and lonely in the cupboard in the Vaporfly era.  Felt nice to be close to the road!

Interesting, I didn't manage to get here for a while so I didn't read this until now...yesterday I had 6x800 planned as well, did the same thing with fastwitch shoes for the same reason but I had to abort the intervals due to ice....Smile

I'm struggling keeping up online,sorry for my current absence.  Im am reading for now...I hope I'll be back at some point...

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - I've never gotten around to ask, but why do you do back to back workouts like that? Is it because you recover too quickly to have the benefit or running on tired legs? Hansons calls that cumulative fatigue.

Steve - running a 10k trail race with a past of injury is an iffy proposition.

me - I've found a new route yesterday and tried it out today. It finds a bikelane that goes all the way to the beach if I were to continue till the end. I only had 45 minutes today so I went only a 3rd of the way.

On the way there I had to stop for the train and that reminded me of that 5k race in Piwi's hometown that also crosses the rail lines and they have to stop for the train sometimes. I never understood why they didn't like just change the course so it does not cross a bloody rail line LOL

Maybe the person designing the course was too drunk and the racers were too drunk to notice it as well?

About all the Kiwis being cousins did you guys know in Iceland they have an app so you don't accidentally bang a relative?

In racing news, I've set the next sequence of races. It's PR breaking o'clock for me for the next few weeks.

04/04/2020 - 5k rust buster in a park run in a nearby city (Rimini)

17/04/2020 - 5k PR attempt in Modena. it's 6 laps on a long tarmac oval track a bit over 800m long. It's got a very deep field as it also doubles as the regional championship race, so there should be quite a few guys in high 14's and low 15's. It's a race race as it does not seem to have many recreational runners. I'll try to break 18:05

03/05/2020 - 2 weeks later I should be back at it again at the La 10km della Fraschetta, which is also a race with a deep field and not many recreational runners either. A flat course and the temperatures should still be nice at the start of May. I'll try to break 38:12 here.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Flavio/Steve, I always find trail races to be far far less likely to injure me than road races. I've theorized it's because there's far more variation in your stride but who knows.

Kiwi's/Icelanders -- one of these two groups acknowledges they have a problem and have moved to solve it. The other one...

Flavio - It sounds like you have a great set of races lined up. Get after it and set some PRs!

I think as you approach, and exceed, 10 mph the coefficient of drag is directly proportional to the amount of sandbagging one is capable of.

/thread

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi all - checking in very belatedly.  I'm on vacation as of today, and so the last few days have been a bit frantic with taking care of stuff at work, etc....

Anyhoo, I'll just post my last week and the first part of this week:

Last week:

50 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                              M: DIY yoga at home and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                              T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 4x1200 in 4:31, 4:28, 4:28, 4:24. Recovery between 2:37 and 2:43. Followed with leg strengthwork and 800 yards recovery swimming.
                              W: DIY yoga, 9 miles very easy (9:00), plus drills and four strides.
                              Th: Upperbody weights, core, and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                              F: 10 miles, including a 5K track tempo in 19:51 (6:26/6:21/7:02 for last 1800). Followed with leg injury prevention work and 750 yards recovery swimming.
                              Sa: DIY yoga and 8 miles very easy (8:51), followed by drills/strides, upper body weights and core.
                              Su: DIY yoga and 12 miles split as first 4 averaging 8:17, last 8 averaging 7:47. Followed with 450 yards recovery swimming.

And this week so far:

M: DIY yoga and 6 "miles" of pool-running

T: DIY yoga and 7 miles (9:07) plus drills/strides.

W: 7 miles, including 3x800 in 2:58, 2:55, 2:55, followed with 500 yards recovery swimming.

Th: DIY yoga, very light upper body weights/core, and 4 "miles" of pool-running.

Will do 0-4 miles tomorrow very easy, and then 2 miles at shuffle-jog pace on Saturday.

Had hamstring tightness pop up on both sides late last week.  I got dry-needled on Tuesday and then got a massage on Wednesday, and those seem to have handled the issue.  Wednesday's 800s were significantly faster than I intended them to be, which is both an oops and a good sign, I think.

Weather for the race is looking very good, if not as perfect as it was a few days ago.  Starts just below freezing at 28F/-2C ends at 36 F/2C.  The bummer is that we had a major tailwind forecast, but that's now shifted to a mild tailwind for the first half of the race, shifting to a mild headwind for the second half.  Ah well - could be much worse.

++++

re:3x2T versus 3x2HMP - if we were all real runners, then HMP=T, and this discussion would vanish.

Fervently agree with easing into MP, both in training and in the race.  You want to be burning as few carbs as possible during the race (since you'll need all of them for the race).  Easing into MP gently from below preserves carbs.

As for the effect of wind, I believe that wind affects different people differently.  Short solid people obviously have some sort of advantage over those who are lighter or taller.  However, I also theorize (with no scientific support) that those with a shuffle stride (less bounce, quicker cadence) are less impeded by a headwind then those with a bouncier gait.  Less air time means less time to be pushed back while suspended in the air.

Music: Kraftwerk is touring again.  Do whatever you can do to see them.  Regardless of what type of music you like, Kraftwerk has probably influenced it.  I saw their 3D show a few years ago, and it was possibly the best concert I've ever been to (and I'd ballpark that I've been to nearly 1000 shows in my life - there was a time in my life when I'd see at least 1-2 shows a week).

These guys won't be around forever (though they say they'll have robots replace them when they're gone).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

So I know throughout the course of this thread, there has been some shoe discussion.

For shorter races, I run in some NB 1500s. Lightweight flats with a small hint of stability. But, I think a 10k is about my max on those. I have completely flat feet and run in stability shoes (NB 860, Brooks Adrenaline, and my go-to is the Mizuno Inspire).

With that said, eyeing two months til my half...are there any shoes out there for the 175lb flat footed runner that fit the profile? I mean, I know the new carbon plate technology is out there, but the last thing I plan on doing is getting injured because a shoe that is going to not give me what I need.

Just curious your thoughts, since many of  you seem to be more up to date on whats out there than me.