Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio that is bad, I'm sorry. I think we may be going down the same path too: CA is already implementing a "stay home" order except for groceries, and I think NYC is heading that way too. Hopefully I get my HM time trial in this weekend and then I may be shutting it down as well.

Stay safe everyone.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Flavio, sorry you (all) are having to go through this. Something like 24000 cases in your country as of today!

I was glad to hear that the Bay Area shelter-in-place order says that outdoor, solitary exercise is okay. I might question whether running carries a significant risk of landing in a hospital bed, but complying with the local orders is important.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio that is bad, I'm sorry. I think we may be going down the same path too: CA is already implementing a "stay home" order except for groceries, and I think NYC is heading that way too. Hopefully I get my HM time trial in this weekend and then I may be shutting it down as well.

Stay safe everyone.

Their stay home order allows people to go out in public to walk their dog, hike, or exercise and they just want you to stay about 6 feet away from people. So "stay home" is more like "pretend this is the flu, but with mandatory work from home without using any sick time" and society will keep doing exactly what it does best. I pointed out the stupidity of it on social media when I was educated the "stay at home" allowed for exercise. Massive virus going around causing food and paper shortages, the CITY is one step from martial law, and we're worried about getting in our long run and time trial. It shows me how DANGEROUS this COVID-19 Coronavirus really is.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

weatherboy80

Worse case scenario I will move to doing 0.5 mile loops in my neighborhood if it gets that bad here.  Right now all public parks are still open.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

zebano

Steve - By definition you can't stay at peak fitness indefinitely. You can certainly stay close but I'd personally just start a new cycle but it's totally up to you.

Keen - I personally wouldn't risk flying and spreading the virus but I can't hate on people that choose to.

Regarding stockpiling and selling for $$$. I know it makes sense but places like Florida have laws against jacking up prices on home repairs after a hurricane. I'm not sure this is any different. It'd certainly be nice if people were reasonable enough that we didn't have to legislate it. I don't know, I never have a lot of sympathy for middle-men in business who don't provide any value. You can at least argue that the retailers have to pay for shipping.

Our supermarkets are just crazy... nuff said.

I'm considering becoming a duathlete for the time being as I feel guilty going to the gym, even if the pool is mostly empty and full of chlorine. The locker rooms are still ... well locker rooms.

Flavio --- it sucks to hear that, but you're doing the right thing. Good luck.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Link for the curious (In italian) Link

Google translate for the victory

Uisp also on the pitch with an appeal to his runners: "Stay at home"

Regulations allow motor activity not in a group, but the best option is not to go out

Unfortunately, a stance dictated by the many episodes recorded in the last few days, with runners and walkers of all ages who continue their activity outside, often advertising it also through social channels and thus conveying an absolutely wrong message and not to be replicated.

"The regulations in place to counter the spread of Coronavirus - Gabriele Tagliati, president of the Uisp Ravenna-Lugo, and Raffaele Alberoni, head of the running sector of the same territorial committee, point out in unison - allow physical activity outside condition to practice it individually and not in the company, even worse in a group. However, this does not mean that the best option is not to stay at home and limit interpersonal contacts as much as possible, without looking for quibbles or loopholes between the lines of the various decrees ".

What Uisp wants to launch is an invitation to the use of common sense by all members of the numerous running companies in the area so that the behaviors of a few do not go to affect the well-being of many and the evolution of an emergency still far away from being overcome.

“Let us each assume our own responsibilities - Tagliati and Alberoni reiterate - towards our loved ones. There is not only written law, but also a way of being and understanding sport and physical activity that is not written, but that Uisp has been passing on for decades. We are proud of our way of being an association, but at the same time we must make ourselves the first positive examples when our civic sense is called into question ”.

“There will be time to run, be together, have fun, joke and vent our desire for outdoor sports - concludes the Ravenna-Lugo Territorial Committee -. Now is the time to stick to the rules and stay home. In a few weeks the muscles will be less toned, the breath less trained, the resistance will certainly be less, but we will all have done our part in the fight against Covid-19 and each of us can be proud of it ".

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

All this viral quarantine business makes me quite glad (more so than usual) that I live in an area with very low population density.
                Grocery stores are running low on quite a few things, but DW was talking to her sister last night and we worked out a deal. We have a big supply of beef, they have chickens (and eggs, naturally), so we can just trade for what we don't have if it comes to this.

One of my brothers-in-law and his family aren't so fortunate, though. He and his GF both work at restaurants that are currently shut down, so they have zero income at the moment. Gifting them some hamburger is about the extent of what we're able to do for them right now.

The SIL with the chickens is a nurse at a local heart hospital, and things are starting to get a bit crazy for them. They have had one patient with the virus. She hasn't worked with said patient, but said that the hospital was taking lots of precautionary steps for those who did.

Just because I'm a bit of a numbers/stats nerd, it would be very interesting to see declines/rises in strava activities influenced by this. Fewer outdoor runs/rides, more indoor stuff. Fewer swims all around (outdoor or indoor). I've also been noticing fewer activities by people I follow who are in/near heavily populated cities (especially overseas), but in the middle of the US I haven't seen much of any change at all (yet).

Zebano - The race I'm looking at isn't for 6 months (the day before New Boston). The plan would be to buy super-cheap airfare now (possibly even refundable), and have a long time to train and see how this mess works itself out. I can always skip the race and flight when the times comes if needed. At these prices it would be less than a pair of fancy race shoes, so it's quite tempting.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

CK - Even here I think activities are slowing down.  The park on Monday was much quieter than usual, and my mate said he's never seen the gym so empty.  I'm still maybe kidding myself, but I feel like I can do my runs out in the country solo even when this thing really kicks in.

We're up to 12 cases now, with the last one being the first person to contract it in NZ.  That person is also a High School student so a bigger outbreak is imminent.  Australia's cases have doubled in the last 2 days.

I'm still not working from home but it wouldn't surprise me if I am by Monday.

The City 2 Surf has decided not to postpone the race and go with outright cancellation.  I don't think the Christchurch Marathon will be happening on May 31.  I've been ramping up to "3 workout fortnights" and making the workouts progressively harder.  I might dial it back to one a week.

flavio -  Sorry to hear just how bad it is there.

This is a good thread I saw about why now is a critical time in NZ and everywhere.

Italian warning to the rest of the world

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

No photo description available.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Critical difference for NZ Steve... a lot of the precautionary measures here have been implemented before the number of cases starts spiking.  Don't get me wrong, it's still going to spread more widely, but we're further ahead of it than some other places have been.  Aside from that, air travel links are getting slashed which drastically reduces our chance of importing cases, and we have relatively low population density compared to the US and Europe.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yes, we certainly have an advantage or 2.  Location and population density being the key.

I suspect we have far far more people carrying it than 12 though.  The steps taken will prevent too many more cases arriving in NZ but not many steps have been taken to prevent the spread within NZ.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Yes, we certainly have an advantage or 2.  Location and population density being the key.

I suspect we have far far more people carrying it than 12 though.  The steps taken will prevent too many more cases arriving in NZ but not many steps have been taken to prevent the spread within NZ.

Yeah there will certainly be unreported cases out there.  Most corporates have slashed air travel (including domestic) - I was supposed to be in Wellington and Christchurch over the next 3 days but that got canned.  We have capped meetings at 5 people so I suspect others are similar.  The paranoia and panic buying seems to have kicked in here before the number of cases has started increasing so we are further ahead of it than some countries have been (in good ways and bad ways!).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Given how rural things are around here and that all my runs are solo already, I don't see this impacting my running too much (aside from races being cancelled or postponed). I'm probably more likely to end up running on the treadmill due to my wife's worry than for the actual threat of the virus.

My company just did an interesting thing. They had already stopped all international and almost all domestic travel, but they just announced an additional 3 weeks of paid sick leave due to the virus - for if the employee is sick, needing to care for someone who is (whether or not it's COVID), or if they are under quarantine. This includes people who work remotely 100% (I very nearly fall into this category). So *technically* a person such as myself who's completely healthy could have 3 paid weeks off if under quarantine, even if they can do their work at the same rate as before. I'd wonder how much this will be abused, but is it abuse if a person literally follows the guidelines for this new leave?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Marky_Mark_17

Doh.  Looks like Parkrun is off until at least the end of the month as well.  There goes my Plan B for this weekend.

Also, Steve this was an interesting model: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

The other very interesting geopolitical impact of all of this is that China is now well into recovery mode while the US is arguably not even into the worst of it yet, which certainly gives China an opportunity to extend its global influence while the US is weak.  If Xi Jinping can overcome domestic opposition to the fact that the Chinese government was doing its level best to silence whistleblowers and sweep all this under the carpet back in December, there could be a real shift in global power once we get back to whatever the new normal is.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

CK - Haven't studies been done on companies that offer unlimited sick leave that showed people actually took less than usual?  I'm hanging out to work from home for selfish reasons, as long as things don't get worse than that...I guess I can't pick and choose.

Mark - That's a good article.  As a former maths and stats geek, I appreciate things like that!

I'm starting to lean towards an HM time trial if Christchurch is cancelled and there's no end in sight.  JMac are you closer to deciding on running one?  It will be interesting to see how you go.  Mark if you still come down that weekend you can do a marathon time trial at the same time...how does 42km of laps of Hagley Park sound?

I probably shouldn't tempt fate, but I was thinking this morning "if ever there was bad timing for another earthquake..."

2024 Races: