progressive thigh strain (Read 50 times)

tri_hard

Hi all, first of all hi, my first post so, hello.

I recently(ish) have started getting a tight quad while running. I'm usually fine until a few k into a run then starts of as a twinge then by a mile later becomes unbearable, so much so that i can't flex from my knee full and have to assist pushing my heel to my glute. One explanation i have received is that it started around the same time i started teaching spin classes so its the muscles adapting to the extra work load. As I've been a bit slack on the running recently maybe thats why its flared up again.

Has anybody else had the same or similar issues, and hopefully decent treatment. i will admit to being a bit slack on warming up so maybe i need to be strict on dynamic stretching before long runs. Any advice will be gratefully advised.

Nope, no quad pain. Pulled my groin once, and have had a lil' Soleus muscle pain in the past. Had pain in my heart fairly recently, not cardiac pain mind you. The kind of pain only a girl can cause, but no quad pain.

kilkee

runktrun

I haven't had quad issues, but your description of the "progressive" discomfort and tightness sounds very similar to my issues with hammies and hip flexors.  When my hips and core become weak, either structurally (I have very bad joints and my pubic bone actually shifts sometimes; it's very unpleasant), or from muscular strength imbalances, I can feel my hammies work harder and they start to feel burnt out and tight and sore.  I've gotten this a few times with my hip flexors, too, with some nerve involvement.  My remedy is increasing core strength and stability and glute strength (mostly just various body weight squats where I really focus on squeezing my but...with the help of a PT).

Since you say this coincided with increased biking, it's plausible that through biking more, you've shifted to being quad dominant.  If your quads are working extra hard to propel you and try to stabilize your hips, it seems possible that they could feel tight and burned out.  And the progressive discomfort makes sense because they'd feel worse as you work them more and get fatigued through a run.

Try backing off the biking and working on strengthening your posterior chain, and also improving core stability and control (transv abdom., glute med, glute max).  If it's simply a strength imbalance, I suspect you'll start to notice improvement within a week or so as you unload the muscle, but then probably need to continue to run easy until the muscle has healed, if it is truly strained.  If no improvement...well...then I'm wrong.  There are two big nerves running from your lumbar vert through your hips and down through the front of your thigh.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

tri_hard

Thanks for the reply.

I figured it was probably down to the extra work load from cycling. Unfortunately due to teach spin i can't stop, but it might have flared back up as I've been slack on the running for a few months but recently entered a marathon in april so decided i need to get my arse into gear. Ill try easing my self in a bit more and make sure i warm up fully. also get back on track with my S and C over winter. Weirdly if I'm doing brick sessions, cycle then run its fine, so warming up must be a must i'd say. Maybe even see a physio see if there is much/any muscle damage.

was more curious if it was a common complaint, but it would appear not so much.

christopheryoaku

To start any strains you should work hard. When you work hard for achieve your goal you will get the best thing in your life. As you see students trying hard to get admission in the top MBA Colleges in Mumbai. They were working hard to get admission in any way. They were sure they can be a professional from the best colleges.