Calorie sticker shock (Read 1147 times)

Menace to Sobriety

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25464987 In addition to the calorie count, they should put the number of miles it takes to run them off.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I'm amazed by the people who are upset because now they don't feel they can order the same food now that they know the calories. I've never seen such a desire for ignorance!

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Marathon Maniac #3309

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Menace to Sobriety

I'm amazed by the people who are upset because now they don't feel they can order the same food now that they know the calories. I've never seen such a desire for ignorance!
          i think the people that get giant sugary muffins, doughnuts, etc, always knew they were high in calories and bad, but were just in denial. However,I also think that some people really get a salad because they think its the healthier choice, unaware of how many calories they really contain. What'll be interesting is if this has any mong term effect, or will people eventually begin to ignore it and fall back into their old patterns.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

GP160

I hate knowing the calories. It ruins everything!
            Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
              This is fantastic. I wish all states had to do this. Tennessee will be one of the last, if it ever happens at all because it's ranked 47th in health status among the states. No one cares about the level of calories they are putting in their mouths. And what the one gal was said about the salad advertised as healthy, but was worse than the burger, as being false advertising; she's right about that. My poor Father just underwent a heart catherization and stint and is a little depressed about it because he exercises and 'thinks' he eats right. I send him nutritional information if I can about the things he eats often when he's out. He gets mad because they tout the stuff as health food and it's not. At least he's listening to me now about eating and doesn't call me the food nazi any more. Roll eyes M
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I think it's a start. I notice the article doesn't mention the liquid diet. I'd be curious to see how this affects places with the stuff they are liberally referring to as coffee. If it's got whipped cream and chocolate syrup on it, it's not really coffee people. You can drink a huge number of calories in a short time.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jazz hands!

I shouldn't be, but I'm actually surprised at how many calories are in some of that stuff. Really? A muffin with 600 calories? What the hell is IN that muffin?
                  run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                  protoplasm72

They should just do what the rest of the food industry does and call 1 muffin 2.5 servings and only list the per serving calories. Now it's only 240 calories per serving of muffin and people won't care.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

dfffff

I love calories. Doesn't bother me at all.
                        They should just do what the rest of the food industry does and call 1 muffin 2.5 servings and only list the per serving calories. Now it's only 240 calories per serving of muffin and people won't care.
                        So true.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And what the one gal was said about the salad advertised as healthy, but was worse than the burger, as being false advertising; she's right about that.
                          It reminds me of the discovery that the chicken salads at McDonald's (which upon casual glance appear very healthy and light) are not as benign as they appear. McDonald's injects their chicken with a sugar solution to make it moister and more flavorful. I'm not sure how many calories this might add, but it's the sort of thing that could be dangerous to a diabetic who needs to watch their sugar intake.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jazz hands!

It reminds me of the discovery that the chicken salads at McDonald's (which upon casual glance appear very healthy and light) are not as benign as they appear. McDonald's injects their chicken with a sugar solution to make it moister and more flavorful. I'm not sure how many calories this might add, but it's the sort of thing that could be dangerous to a diabetic who needs to watch their sugar intake.
                            Dead That's the grossest thing I've heard today. It's only 9am, but still. Thank God for In-n-Out so I can still have my fast food fries when needed.

Jazz hands!

That also reminds me why eating at big chains is bad--I'm pretty sure most mom-and-pop places don't inject their chicken (or do other weird stuff. Douse everything with butter, yeah). Though Pollo Campero, which is a Guatemalan chain that came to LA, does advertise that it's "injection marinated."
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey