Achilles/Calf Injury (Read 82 times)

robertaajr

So I'm kind of dealing with a soreness in my Achilles' tendon area and calf it's on my right leg. It doesn't hurt at all when I run or walk on it. It really only bothers me when I use he stick or just touch the area. It's a little concerning as I'm training to BQ this summer and can't afford to take time off or get hurt. I have been icing that area, using compression socks and I got a deep tissue massage today. I've been running a bunch of 1 milers to get some rest. It's not awful pain but it's noticeable. Should I be concerned if it doesn't affect me or bother me when I run. I'm hoping the massage helped and it gets better. I have a 14 mile long run planned in 2 days. Anyone ever experience the same kind of pain or problem? Any advice?

kilkee

runktrun

So I'm kind of dealing with a soreness in my Achilles' tendon area and calf it's on my right leg. It doesn't hurt at all when I run or walk on it. It really only bothers me when I use he stick or just touch the area. It's a little concerning as I'm training to BQ this summer and can't afford to take time off or get hurt. I have been icing that area, using compression socks and I got a deep tissue massage today. I've been running a bunch of 1 milers to get some rest. It's not awful pain but it's noticeable. Should I be concerned if it doesn't affect me or bother me when I run. I'm hoping the massage helped and it gets better. I have a 14 mile long run planned in 2 days. Anyone ever experience the same kind of pain or problem? Any advice?

Yes, you can afford to take time off now if your goal race is in the summer.  Even a week of no running in February is almost inconsequential for a summer goal.  Rather than running 1 mile a day for 5 days and aggravating it each time but gaining no fitness, try taking 2-3 days off completely and rehabbing it.  Eccentric heal drops are the way to go.  Lengthen and strengthen those tendon fibers!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

I just peeked at your log and it looks like you have increased your mileage over the last 3 weeks from your baseline. So I would hazard to guess that your current pain is related to this. Personally, if it is not an acute injury that is acutely painful while running, I would continue training as usual, maybe backing off on mileage very slightly. And then spend some time each day working on your feet and calves. 5-10 minutes per day is good (or more if you have time). Foam roll the calves, use the stick on the calves, roll out your feet with a lacrosse ball or something like this (I personally love these yoga balls), and do eccentric heel drops (these are like magic for your Achilles). There are a bunch of other things you can do but I think this would be a good start. I've had on/off issues in my left foot and ankle for over a year moving around and variously involving the achilles, plantar fascia, peroneal tendon, tight calves, painful tendons, etc. It only started to get better when I made a real effort to do at least a little something every day.

Yes, I've had similar issues, and the advice from kilkee and Joann Y is spot on.

the only thing I would add is that I noticed your wave riders, which seem to be your main shoe (?), have almost 600km on them. That might not seem like much, but in my experience that particular shoe doesn't last much more than 500km before I start getting foot and ankle pain. instead of running 14 miles this weekend, I suggest you use those 2 hours to get some new shoes Smile (this will not be the ultimate cure for your issue - rest, ice, do eccentric heel drops, etc! - but it might be a good idea.)

robertaajr

Yes, I've had similar issues, and the advice from kilkee and Joann Y is spot on.

the only thing I would add is that I noticed your wave riders, which seem to be your main shoe (?), have almost 600km on them. That might not seem like much, but in my experience that particular shoe doesn't last much more than 500km before I start getting foot and ankle pain. instead of running 14 miles this weekend, I suggest you use those 2 hours to get some new shoes Smile (this will not be the ultimate cure for your issue - rest, ice, do eccentric heel drops, etc! - but it might be a good idea.)

One step ahead of you I already bought a new pair I'm going to wear them for my 14 miler. Thanks