Why do I hate the first 2 miles of a run? (Read 922 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Great responses and it's nice to know it isn't just me. I like the idea of a little 2k easy warm-up first, but it I stop and stretch, doesn't that mean when I start again I have to run the first part of my run again? Shocked In all seriousness, one of you mentioned reading something about the body not shifting into running mode, and I think I read that, too. That's what made me wonder if this is just part of being a runner. Plus, if it's on the internet, it's true.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

It's all relative. I honestly think it would help you to have some REALLY crappy runs for comparison. Runs where you've pushed yourself too hard on a previous day, and you're forced to just shuffle along at the start. Runs that you are this close to blowing off because you just don't have it that day. Heading out for a run means going down three and a half flights of stairs, so if I'm feeling like Quasimodo coming down from the bell tower I know it's going to be a rough start. I'll probably hear from my hips, ankles and shins, but I know from experience that with very rare exceptions it will pass. I don't know about most runners, but I do a lot of talking to myself. The labels I put on things in my internal conversations are important to my atttitude/state of mind. REALLY bad starts allow me to feel better about slightly creaky starts (which are much more common). If I'm doing something that an impartial observer would actually call running (or even jogging) but doesn't feel great, I can honestly tell myself "hey that's not bad." If I have just a little spring in my stride, I can honestly tell myself "oh, that's GOOD." I think most runners are pretty mental, so why not embrace it and run with it?

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Blaaahhhh

I'm 38 now and I too notice that I'm very stiff and sore for the first two miles of my run. After that everything starts to smooth out and I can run easy. I do remember when I was younger, it taking a bit to get warmed up, but nothing like this. Is it an age thing? I can't believe these people that run two miles every day. How do they do that?

Bugs

I read that you’re running anaerobic the first few miles until you have warmed up and then you switch to aerobic, assuming not running too fast. So I think if you do more anaerobic workouts those first few miles will feel better assuming you're not sore from a previous workout. But it might be all BS too.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

I read that you’re running anaerobic the first few miles until you have warmed up and then you switch to aerobic, assuming not running too fast. So I think if you do more anaerobic workouts those first few miles will feel better assuming you're not sore from a previous workout. But it might be all BS too.
            And anaerobic stuff would be things like intervals, tempo and pace runs, right? Just started adding that into the routine, so maybe that will help a bit. MTA: the right spelling

Paul

Best Present Ever

I don't know about most runners, but I do a lot of talking to myself. The labels I put on things in my internal conversations are important to my atttitude/state of mind. REALLY bad starts allow me to feel better about slightly creaky starts (which are much more common). If I'm doing something that an impartial observer would actually call running (or even jogging) but doesn't feel great, I can honestly tell myself "hey that's not bad." If I have just a little spring in my stride, I can honestly tell myself "oh, that's GOOD." I think most runners are pretty mental, so why not embrace it and run with it?
              yes, i talk to myself almost constantly through runs, especially the bad parts. I compare how bad I feel to the worst I've ever felt, remind myself that I often feel bad, make little deals with myself which I promptly forget ...

jfa

For me it's often the first 3 to 4 miles that suck, and they usually suck worse following a rest day. Undecided

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

For me it's often the first 3 to 4 miles that suck, and they usually suck worse following a rest day. Undecided
                  Completely agree here. I finish a lot of runs saying, "that had just started being FUN". The amount of fun long runs present get me out the door for shorter runs. Probably why I want to stick with mostly Half-Marathons and (hopefully) marathons in the future. Means I have longer runs during the week. I HATED doing anything below 4 miles right before/after my half, and even now, I can't wait to get up to 6 and 7 mile midweek runs.

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

theyapper

On the road again...

I HATED doing anything below 4 miles right before/after my half, and even now, I can't wait to get up to 6 and 7 mile midweek runs.
                    I 100% agree with this. I am at a place where I am hating short runs but loving long ones. Probably because I get to be in the groove longer.

Paul

Do you run in the mornings? I find that I need to be up for a good few hours before I enjoy the first few miles. If I just get up and go I hate the first couple miles. I run at noon these days and my legs have been up and about for a few hours and I enjoy the first few miles now.
                      Run like you stole something.
                        Yup, I pretty much hate the first two miles. I pretty much bargain myself through that far. I agree that it's about warming up. Sometimes I bargain my way through, if I do this I can have candy or Beer. I also tell myself how good I'll feel when it's over.
                        nextyearcubs

I tell people all the time that if you can get through 3 miles without becoming totally exhausted, you can add distance easier. They say I'm crazy, but in a year I went from barely making it a mile without stopping to running a half marathon without stopping. I used to hate the first three miles, and could get downright painful. I had all sorts of cramping in the rib cage and abdominal area, usually between 12-18 minutes. Sometimes I felt like I was getting shin splints. But if I could hang in there, it got easier, and by 30 minutes at my 10 minute mile pace, I was mostly pain free and feeling like it is almost effortless. It isn't so bad now, I've lost some weight, which I'm sure helped the cramping issues. My best miles are still in the middle to end, but some days those first miles are actually fun... but most days, they still suck, although to much lesser a degree.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Why is it sideways?

At around the 3:30 mark in this youtube video (the whole thing is worth watching), you can see some footage of Haile Gebrselassie starting his daily run. Geb's marathon pace is around 4:42 per mile; he begins his training runs, judging from this video, at about 10:00 pace. MP + ~5:00... Don't be afraid to start off easy and let your body tell you when it is ready to work.
                            JimR

Gotta warm up slowly. If the first mile or two suck, go slower.
                              goat

Finder of good newts

singing a silly song helps a bit... I've always liked the Old Woman that swallowed a fly song... Singing is harder than talking and forces you to slow way down - especially if you belt it out. Okay... if you don't want to sing.. I've never been too big on running buddies, but I think they help most in 1. getting out the door and 2. the first 2 miles. The "hello, how are you doing" bit can easily suck up at least 1 mile.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up