2011 Gardening Thread (Read 1783 times)

I thought about those and decided not to bother for several reasons.  Their root system is invasive so I would need big pots.  I would have to rig a trellis for them.  And most importantly, Mrs Finn informed me that it would likely piss her off if I grew hops.

out of control vine, I could see the pissed off factor.

Plus, it looks like to get the yield needed it would require alot of plants and to much work and expense for the end result.

I'll stick with tomatoes on the deck.

I'll be interested to follow the outcome of the potatoe brew.

Get off my porch

Feeling the growl again

Yeah well who's the man around that place anyway?

Being the man just acknowledges that you are not in charge.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

"run" "2" "eat"

real men don't "garden".

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Prince of Fatness

real men don't "garden".

You tell the wife that you will be out working in the garden, throw a few beers in the cooler, and head out the door.  A couple hours of solitude.

Duh.

Not at it at all. 

You people are questioning the masculinity of a guy who openly discusses gardening? He's working the earth with his bare hands! I mean some of you are "fantasy" (fantasy!) general managers.  You fantasize that other people, wearing tights, are running up and down a grassy field and tackling one another - at your bidding!

MTA: NTTAWWT, but you are the ones mocking!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

real men don't "garden".

So what is the distinction between gardening and farming?  It would be hard to argue that farming is not man's work.  Tater isn't growing daisies.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

"run" "2" "eat"

it appears that i am in concurrence with spaniel.

queasy. must go have a lie down.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Feeling the growl again

it appears that i am in concurrence with spaniel.

queasy. must go have a lie down.

No worries.  The first time is the hardest.

Prince of Fatness

Tater isn't growing daisies.

Yeah, I don't like daisies.  When it comes time to plant flowers I'll plant some geraniums, vincas, and impatiens.  Oh, and a couple of snap dragons, because there are a couple kids in the neighborhood that get a kick out of when I make the snap dragons talk.  But then again these are in the flower beds, not the garden.  The whole yard is my domain.  I grow grass, too.

Not at it at all. 

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Contemplating my first this year.  Considering corn, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes (a couple of plants only), cukes, green beans, romaine, and spinach.  Basil sounds good too, and maybe carrots.  Tater, how hard is it to grow taters? They might be fun to try.

Feeling the growl again

Tater, how hard is it to grow taters? They might be fun to try.

Put them in the ground.  Hill the dirt up around them once a week the first couple weeks after they pop through so that the spuds are easier to dig out.  Spray with Sevin if the darned potato bugs find them.  That's about it.

Prince of Fatness

Tater, how hard is it to grow taters? They might be fun to try.

As Spaniel said it's easy.  Stick them in the ground.  I don't hill dirt, but rather I mulch them with leaves.  I have a big double compost bin next to my garden and in the fall I fill one side with shredded leaves.  I have about 2 - 3 cubic yards of leaves.  I prefer the leaves because they help retain moisture (I rarely water the potatoes) and they are a free soil amendment once the potatoes are dug up.  At a minimum you want a little mulch to cover any spuds that break the surface.  Whatever is exposed to the sun will turn green.

The plants will flower.  They are rather attractive, and the color of the flower will match the color of the skin of the potato variety.  The plants will die off then you dig them up.  If you want to store them wait longer so the skin hardens off more.  Don't be afraid to dig up a plant a little early if you want some fresh potatoes with dinner!

As for the bugs, I get some, but not enough to spray them.  I try to avoid spraying chemicals on the veggie garden.  If I don't spray anything then I don't need to worry about what is safe from one day to the next.  I've never had enough of a problem to warrant spraying anyway.

MTA:  I plant in early April and dig them up June - July, depending on the variety.  Frost is not an issue.  It'll burn the leaves but they'll grow back.

Not at it at all. 

I have potatoes in, also some broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and lettuce. I have so far never quite figured out when to plant in Idaho so everything heat sensitive doesn't bolt in the first week of June - this might be the year I get it right (only gardened here for twenty years!)

I will plant some turnips in the next week, plus rutabagoes. Maybe some spinach but we are back to the bolting. Then the general tomotos, cucumbers, peppers etc. No corn - I found over the years it takes up too much room. I also stopped growing any types of squash - you can always get them on the share tables outside churches ansd the year I planted four zucchini plants still lives in infamy here.

I like pumpkins too - easy to grow and expensive to buy. I have pumpkin pudding at least once a week here with last year's frozen crop.

Queen of 3rd Place

Right now switching from winter stuff - did well with lettuces and cabbages - had really great luck with bok choy. The brussels sprouts didn't make cute little balls, though, just loose leaves.

For spring it's basil, peppers, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, chard, maybe some more lettuces until it gets too hot. Might try summer squash again but I think it will do better if I wait a little longer, they seemed to like it really hot. For some reason the only hot weather lettuce I can grow is romaine, but the slugs sleep in the heads during the day and I hate cleaning them out. Yuck!

Ex runner

It's spring, not that you would know it by how cold it has been in these parts.  Anywho, it's time to start thinking about gardening.  Does anyone have anything going yet?

This weekend I will plant potatoes.  I will also try to get in some broccoli and cauliflower, too.

You live in NJ and you're starting stuff?  Will the broccoli hold up now?  I mean, it's probably going to snow this weekend.

Jeff