Anyone Had Lateral AND Medial Meniscus repair concurrently? Help! (Read 36 times)

KBMM

Hi,

I’m slated for double meniscus surgery on Monday – lateral has significant tear (possible repair? That’s the hope); medial is shredded (trims and removal expected). Also have Baker’s Cyst and partially torn ACL (not sure whether repair is needed). Also having injection of synvisc artificial cartilage during the surgery.

My question is whether anyone else has had the double meniscus surgery and what the recovery was like.

I’d love to hear someone else’s experience – I’m a fairly serious runner. Have done 13 marathons and am hoping to return to it eventually…

(I’m a 55-year-old female without much arthritis and the other knee is pristine …or so I think…never had any issues with it).

KMM

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I don't really have too many helpful tips, but I'm curious: how in the world did you do all of those things? Is it just over the years and now you're trying to tackle it all at once?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

rmcj001

I had a partial meniscectomy on medial meniscus when I was 38. They were only expecting to do that when they went in, but also found a hole in my patellar cartilage and did micro-fracture repair on it too. Prior to that the most they would say is that you have a "bit of arthritis" in your knee. Was told not to do impact sports, especially running and basketball.  Prior to the injury ran 2-3 times a week and played pick up basketball a 1-2 times a week. Tried a little bit of running after rehabbing, but knee was too painful to run.  Did occasional races, but no real running for the next 12 years.

In 2010 started running again in Vibrams (VFFs). Could tell that my knee didn't mind this and persisted through many lower leg injuries. In 2013 ran 1st marathon since 1995. I've done 15 more marathons since then. A couple of years ago a cyclist ran into me and I had to have my knee x-ray'ed and got to hear you have a "bit of arthritis" again. I laughed and said that's what the orthopedist said 20 years ago.

A couple of things I would say - 1. They won't know how good or bad your knee is until they get inside and have a good look. 2. Doctors are people and they're making educated guesses, so be skeptical. Mine told me my knee would last 20 years if I avoided impact sports and 10 years if I didn't. I'm 2 years past the 20 years now and been running for 10 of those...3. Do the rehab exercises. The stronger the joint is the better you'll fair.

Anyway, hoping things go well for you.

Ray

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In 2010 started running again in Vibrams (VFFs). Could tell that my knee didn't mind this and persisted through many lower leg injuries.

I switched to VFFs for my knees' sake as well, and hope I never have to switch back to conventional shoes.  There are some conventional shoes that are nice to knees, but also I'm not fond of toe blisters and lost toenails that they seem to provide.

KBMM

I switched to VFFs for my knees' sake as well, and hope I never have to switch back to conventional shoes.  There are some conventional shoes that are nice to knees, but also I'm not fond of toe blisters and lost toenails that they seem to provide.

Thanks! Much appreciate your perspective. I'm hoping to have many more good years from that knee. 3 days until surgery....