Depressing Question (Read 2147 times)

No Talent Drips

Anyone have any recommendation for a treadmill for home use? I hate the idea, but DW is having a hard time getting mileage in outside...what with 9 feet of snow and a 15 month old hangin about.

I'd hate to be into one for any more than $1,000...and typing that just made my stomach turn. Nordic Trac C900 looked ok, but my only treadmill experience is with commercial grade equipment at the gym (Cybex, I believe).

Any help would be great.

Dei Gratia

ultramarathon/triathlete

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

I used to have a nordic track that was around 800 from sears.  It worked great for 3 or so years before I sold it (apt I moved into was too small for it, and I wish I had room for one now, so convienent).  I'd say check reviews on consumer reports if you can.  The more expensive tho, the longer it will likely last and the quieter it will be (if that is an issue for you).

You could also contact a local gym to see if they can get one for you.  Gym quality ones are more expensive but who knows, maybe they can get you a deal?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

Double IPA Please!

Honestly, I have a Proform that I have had for the last 8 years. It has gotten a lot of use out of it and has not given me one issue. It inclines to a 10% grade and goes up to 10mph, heart rate sensor, built in fan, and a handful of pre-programmed workouts on it.

Im not all that into bells and whistles unless it can do the workout for me :-) . Its worked just fine for me all these years.

Im sure others will chime in with better models or brands, but, Im happy with my little ol' proform. It only cost us $600 I believe as well.

I should also add that is has a ton of mileage on it as well.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

How much does your DW run?  The more she runs, the better one you'll need, and the more you'll need to spend.  I caution you to not go too cheap if you want her to regularly use it.  

I've been reasonably happy with my Sole model (over 1000 miles on it last year). It can be purchased at Dicks, on-line, or other sporting good stores.

You might check out Ebay for one available near you. Sometimes, people will get rid of their extra large clothes hanger at a fairly cheap price.

Feeling the growl again

I have a Sole that was around $1000.  The deck needed to be replaced (under warranty) in just under 3 years, I am not heavy.  They did throw in the belt and customer service was good.

At 3500 miles logged on it in just over 3 years, I've noticed that it will no longer run up to the advertised 12mph, it stops accelerating at about 11mph (5:27/mile).  I called them and they basically shrugged and said there's nothing they can do about it, and insinuated that I did not know what I was talking about by saying that if I set it to 12mph and it did not reach that speed that it would throw an error and shut off.

I would not buy a Sole again after this.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No Talent Drips

How much does your DW run?  The more she runs, the better one you'll need, and the more you'll need to spend.  I caution you to not go too cheap if you want her to regularly use it.  

I've been reasonably happy with my Sole model (over 1000 miles on it last year). It can be purchased at Dicks, on-line, or other sporting good stores.

You might check out Ebay for one available near you. Sometimes, people will get rid of their extra large clothes hanger at a fairly cheap price.

Pre-kiddo, she was probably a 30 mpw runner on average...with higher mileage when she had a goal in mind. She's a natural...bq'd first time out. Post-kiddo, runs have been spotty, but she did 8 yesterday at 7:45s. I encouraged her not to over-do, but I honestly believe that because she doesn't have the freedom to run like she used to, that she feels compelled to HAMMER the runs when she is out there.

If we got one, I'm sure I'd use it as well...and am guessing that between us, we'd put somewhere around 1,500 miles per year?? Total guess, but I'm sure I'd start throwing in 3 milers at wierd times if I could...and so would she.

Nothing good out there for sale near me on Ebay or Craigslist. We have so much snow here now that I'm guessing most of the mills out there are getting good use (aside, of course, from the coat racks someone mentioned before).

Dei Gratia

...my only treadmill experience is with commercial grade equipment at the gym (Cybex, I believe).

Maybe your gym would sell you one.  Obviously, you don't want one that is no longer working well.  But, don't gyms sometimes just replace equipment just to "jazz things up?"

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

MrH

For $1000 new you will likely not get anything that will stand up to much usage. As I'm 6' 4" and anticipate a reasonable amount of usage, I just decided to buy a new Landice. It wasn't $1000. Smile

However, Craigslist does regularly have very gently used treadmills at about half or a third of retail price. If you picked a quality brand i think your odds are better there than buying a cheap new model..

Landice, for example, offers a lifetime warranty, but I'm not sure how this transfers between owners.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

JenMehle

For $1000 new you will likely not get anything that will stand up to much usage.

Well, not always.  I have a Reebok one (don't know who makes theirs) with well over 3000 miles on it.  A lot of those were hard, fast, or hilly runs.  It's been great for the $750 or so it cost.  We've replaced one little belt and the front roller, so maybe another $250 into it over the years.  

It goes up to 12 mph and 12% incline.

MrH

Well, not always.  

True. But the OP is 5' 11" and weighs 175 lbs. I don't know how many sub $1000 treadmills will take a reasonably sized adult male running particularly hard without thinking it was going to implode at any point.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

JenMehle

True. But the OP is 5' 11" and weighs 175 lbs. I don't know how many sub $1000 treadmills will take a reasonably sized adult male running particularly hard without thinking it was going to implode at any point.

I guess since he was asking about it for his runner wife (I assumed she's about my size or pretty close) that my experience would be worth sharing.

My husband has also run on this machine and it's been totally fine. 

I have a Nordic Trak (2600 series - I think) and its pretty decent.      I bought it 2 years ago for around $700 or $800.    Its not top quality but it works pretty well on those icy days or on days when its 5 degrees and the wind is whipping......

I - like most other runners - don't really "LIKE" the Treadmill, but they aren't that bad..........buying one to enhance your training or to feel safer isnt a bad idea, its a good idea.........my wife wouldnt even consider going out on the streets for a walk in the dark of if there was more than 3 or 4 snow flakes on the ground.......or if it was 35 degrees or below.....

TM's server their purpose ---- you're wife will LOVE it.....you might not, but your wife will.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

I have a piece of crap, used proform treadmill that I got for free when a friend was throwing it away.  I've put zero dollars into it so far and it's been fine for the year I've owned it.  I use it maybe 20-30 times a year, only when the weather's really narsty or when I'm home with just the little ones and nobody to babysit.

If I was going to put several thousand miles a year on a treadmill, the one I have wouldn't do but it suits it's current purpose just fine.  Today I ran in 2 inches of slush and had to dive into the 6 foot snowbank a few times to avoid being killed by oncoming traffic and I still consider it better than a treadmill run, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Runners run

I bought a Sole F80 last year at Dicks for $1500. I have a 5 year old and 15 month and it's the best purchase I have ever made. While I don't 'love' running on the treadmill, it has given me the ability to run consistantly and that I do love. DH uses it too and we've put around 1000 miles on it durning the past year. So far so good and no problems from the treadmill. Definitely worth the investment.